• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

nuclear fallout camo?

Some_guy

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2010
FL
My wife is reading an apocolypse book and we were talking about camo patterns for use after a 5000 - 10000 megaton explosion, yes she is that cool.

I say camo wouldn't matter but if you had to have it you would prepare for nuke freeze - off-white almost grey.

She says browns and greys, ash and dead stuff.

What do ya think?

mod: if this is wrong forum, please move

This is a curiosity thing, i am not about to run out and buy a kit.

Re: nuclear fallout camo?

This is the wrong website.....please delete.
wink.gif

If your taking it serious, your taking it wrong.

Seriously I would go with a Tan or a Gray....both colors can be dressed to blend with almost all Urban enviroments where you would be likely to be spoted by the Machines after Judgement Day.

But I would have to swap out my neon Airsoft paintballs also since I don't want the pink paintballs to show out of the end of my magazines.

Nice idea about the paintballs, almost overlooked that, i guess the tippman would have to get resprayed too....better call the smith

I'd be cutting around in an aqua and pink leopard skin rip-stop flight suit and scuba mask... Just because, who do you have to impress when you're in a smoking crater?

I mean, what?
crazy.gif

I am writing a post-Apocalyptic thriller right now and although I hope it does well in the stores I don’t know if you should read it. Reason being is there is some seriously messed up stuff that if someone took serious enough to start preparing for then their lives could be ruined as we know it. Reading can be fun but remember you don’t have to believe everything you read. God help us when she reads a zombie book and starts wearing a bubble suit to work or worse wears it at home all the time with taped off windows covered in newspapers and starts talking to herself. Sorry for the long rant, after reading the main post I felt a little crazy afterwards.

First, i don't see a nuclear war as an impossability just not a likely scenario.

second, if one did happen and you survived, thinking a bug out bag and a box of mre's will save you, your delusional.

Third, have you never read something just out of curiosity?

pfft all i would need after a nuke hit is my bug out bag and a weeks worth of mre's not to mention my trusty elite .22 super sniper rifle

Guranteed a properly trained person with usefull knowladge will survice a hell of alot easier, even if they are naked and weaponless. I do take these serious and try to plan ahead and then spiral into negativity. The best thing is to learn skills not buy equipment. Most camoflauge is done once the person has gone to the AO....might be bright pink and neon blue after the "Big Bang"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FarmBoy28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pfft all i would need after a nuke hit is my bug out bag and a weeks worth of mre's not to mention my trusty elite .22 super sniper rifle</div></div>
Don't forget the leapers scope. Mall of America's SRT unit just endorsed them.
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guranteed a properly trained person with usefull knowladge will survice a hell of alot easier, even if they are naked and weaponless. I do take these serious and try to plan ahead and then spiral into negativity. The best thing is to learn skills not buy equipment. Most camoflauge is done once the person has gone to the AO....might be bright pink and neon blue after the "Big Bang"</div></div>

Agree completely and have stated elsewhere here that training trumps all in a real situation. I don't know how else to explain that this was an excercise of curiosity to be taken with a grain of salt and a grin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Some_guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guranteed a properly trained person with usefull knowladge will survice a hell of alot easier, even if they are naked and weaponless. I do take these serious and try to plan ahead and then spiral into negativity. The best thing is to learn skills not buy equipment. Most camoflauge is done once the person has gone to the AO....might be bright pink and neon blue after the "Big Bang"</div></div>

Agree completely and have stated elsewhere here that training trumps all in a real situation. I don't know how else to explain that this was an excercise of curiosity to be taken with a grain of salt and a grin. </div></div>

impossible... some of these guys dont take jokes or curiosity well... there elistist

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: FarmBoy28</div><div class="ubbcode-body">impossible... some of these guys dont take jokes or curiosity well... there elistist </div></div>

I don't think he was being elitist but i do know what your talking about. I use to be that way too. Comes with the territory, but some people don't grow out of it. Heh, it is what it is.

after a nuke attack? you'll need a lime green suit that glows in the dark... or just hang around a while and your skin will take on that role, LOL.

Why honey, you look positively "radiant" today... you're practically glowing!

Though I like 96C and bcw1284 ideas, don't forget as far as camo you want something very reflective - tin foil techno
cool.gif

product-enlarged.jpg

It looks better on some
nicole-kidman-silver-suit.jpg

Nuclear Camo - a family affair
lis03.jpg

Duct Tape may work in a pinch
after_duct_tape.jpg

Ok, I will stop.
sick.gif

PS: If you go into a radiated area after an attack(?), the least of your worries will be what you are wearing ....especially with that powerful(?) of a bomb ...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Some_guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My wife is reading an apocolypse book and we were talking about camo patterns for use after a 5000 - 10000 megaton explosion, yes she is that cool.

I say camo wouldn't matter but if you had to have it you would prepare for nuke freeze - off-white almost grey.

She says browns and greys, ash and dead stuff.

What do ya think?

mod: if this is wrong forum, please move

This is a curiosity thing, i am not about to run out and buy a kit. </div></div>

5000 megatons? Wouldn't matter as the world would be utterly destroyed. I think the yield was suppose to be kilotons. The world's largest nuke was Russia's Tsar Bomba, which yielded a blast around 50 megatons.

I would also agree, I would go with a neutral greys. Like the urban camo patterns

Or you could just buy some BDU Mopp gear...

But seriously, ther isnt anything that will actually keep you alive. Most of hte shit the military has is just to prolong our effectiveness in that environment, not to keep us 100% safe

Subdued Urban is grays and black. In the likelihood of snow, simply tying or otherwise temporarily attaching irregular white splotches should suffice. In the event of a nuclear weather/climate alteration, a 'nuclear overcast' would be a reasonable expectation. Such lighting tends to wash out colors.

I consider camos to be like coveralls, wearing oversized camo shells over weather-appropriate garments.

Greg

Hey guys, in the event of a major ionizing radiation exposure, I'm not a large fan of survival at all costs. I've been there once, at a deliberately-just-short-of-lethal daily repeated dosage level extending over the better part of a month, and another is not in my deck of playing cards.

My point is not about what I'd do, but a response to what somebody else has plans to do.

I consider the question in a mostly hypothetical manner.

Oh, and forget about lead linings. You can't carry enough lead to meaningfully serve such purposes. You might be able to provide some reduction, but that just sorta prolongs the agony. In my instance, I was dealing with a very small point emission source (a cavity magnetron, just like radar and a microwave oven), and the lead blocks used to shadow/shield various internal organs were several inches thick. In the event of significant radiation coming from all points of the compass, portable lead shielding is not an option.

Greg

Time, Distance, and Shielding.
The three things that affect your exposure to nuclear material.

If you are referring to the nuclear winter which will follow, grey/white coveralls will work fine. If you are in the blast area, you are dead. If you are the surrounding area, you had better hope you up wind. If you are moving into a blast area, the contamination, i.e. Chernobyl, will be there for a VERY long time.
Good intellectual exercise, and sounds like you wife would be entertaining on a long road trip.
What is the book?

COG practices involve evacuation those with a viable prognosis, leaving those who don't in place, and being very pragmatic about their triage disciplines. In most cases, if you're in a place of significant shelter, stay there. Most initial short radius fallout radiation products have very short half lives, and in the most dire conditions, even leaning against the outside of an exterior wall can have a significant benefit. Public service announcements will be your best source of instruction, <span style="font-style: italic">if</span> you have a battery radio.

Wandering around in camo will most likely get you shot by public security forces; doing anything o/o the ordinary will likely get you shot by public security forces. Public assistance capacities and priorities will be severely limited, and non-standard, non-compliant responses are likely to <span style="font-style: italic">get you shot</span>!!! Capice?

Stay indoors, be patient, do as you're told. If society breaks down so badly that order completely is lost, camo will not be all that high on your list of priorities.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shibumi</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Time, Distance, and Shielding.</div></div>

Seems I have heard that somewhere before.....

A little time with CBIRF has a nice way of reinforcing the horrors of NBC warfare.

Chemlights...the only way to glow
wink.gif

Go and check out a movie called: 'the hills have eyes 2'.. It's a crap time waster, but that's what your kids family will look like!

photo-La-Colline-a-des-yeux-2-The-Hills-Have-Eyes-II-2006-3.jpg

I would say urban camo and get a shovel and snow blower. The snow blower is to clear a path in all the ash and the shovel is to dig your final resting place which you will be occupying directly!

Shit, 5000 to 10,000 megaton bombs? I'm not sure camo will be your primary concern. You will probably be more focused on where the local mine shaft is at so you can hide your ass from the fallout for the next 50,000 years. Mr. President, we must not have a mineshaft gap!

PHO-09May28-163525.jpg

Scratch the scuba mask... I just found one of these!
On a serious enough note, probably well worn in faded Flektarn would be a reasonable option.

All you need is a pair of dark sunglasses, even a blind man knows that....
denzelwashingtoninthebo.jpg

I liked that movie! He really tuned those guy up with that H&K .45 compact. It was cool.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tomcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You could take a chem-lite and open it and pour that stuff all over yourself. </div></div>

Pretty much what I was thinking, also good for freaking out the neighborhood kids...

spend your money on food, water and potassium iodine tabs. If you live!

For outfits to move around it after a nuclear war, I'm thinking you might as well have a bit of fun with it. Something perhaps like this:

66f8b671c9bc54d84e11c61d582cfc31.jpg

36c3526d331baa63b3ac91c2be895abf.jpg

After all, you might as well have a bit of fun & a few good crazy uniforms might just scare the other scavangers enough to leave you alone.
Of course if you were actually serious, I'm assuming you might be spending most of your time for the first month or two in your underground fallout shelter and only come out rarely wearing a full protective suit, probably in grey.