• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes NXS or ETR

SlimySquirrel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Just wondering what has the better eye box at full power?

It’s going to be used mostly at full power for gongs and long range medium sized game.

I know the NSX is sfp but still interested in opinions on the eye box.

Categorically, SFP scopes are more forgiving.

why full power? we talking 15, 22, or 30x?
22 & 30 Because I shoot at full mag a lot and that is where my BTR eyebox gets pretty tight.
I have had an old NXS and it was great but wanted to hold using the reticle more hence the FFP.

Was more interested in how forgiving the eye box is on the ETR in comparison really as scope choices are being narrowed down.

22 & 30 Because I shoot at full mag a lot and that is where my BTR eyebox gets pretty tight.
I have had an old NXS and it was great but wanted to hold using the reticle more hence the FFP.

Was more interested in how forgiving the eye box is on the ETR in comparison really as scope choices are being narrowed down.
The ETR eyebox is better than the Argos and Ares BTR scopes. It's not as forgiving as my current Schmidt PM II, but it wasn't ever something I had a hard time getting myself centered behind even at full power.

Coming from someone who has owned 5 NXS scopes, and had only one minor problem with one of them, and liked them well enough, them being what they are. No way I'd buy a NXS over an ETR. If you put both on 22x I'm guessing the eyebox would be close. If you put a NXS 8-32 on 30x and the ETR the same, they'd be close.

The first time you forget to put the SFP's mag at max for the mil or moa holdovers to be correct you'll regret your decision. That's why I sold mine.

Reactions: SlimySquirrel
I have the NSX 5.5-22x56 and nevered compared the eye box with the ETR but it’s served me well so far. Yes it’s twice the cost of the ETR, so if budget is a major concern then the choice is a no brainer. If you get worried about SFP hold overs when you don’t need max mag then you could try using half or 11x on a 22x or 15x on a 30x and just double your Mils for the reticle’s hash marks...the 1 mil marks become 2 mils, the half mil marks be one 1 mil, etc...

Reactions: SlimySquirrel
I have the NSX 5.5-22x56 and nevered compared the eye box with the ETR but it’s served me well so far. Yes it’s twice the cost of the ETR, so if budget is a major concern then the choice is a no brainer. If you get worried about SFP hold overs when you don’t need max mag then you could try using half or 11x on a 22x or 15x on a 30x and just double your Mils for the reticle’s hash marks...the 1 mil marks become 2 mils, the half mil marks be one 1 mil, etc...

Thanks for reminding me the other reason I sold them.

FYI, depending where the diopter is set, it changes the magnification slightly, could be 10.5 -11.5 or somewhere in there, so one needs to map out what 11x is exactly for the most accurate holds.

I'm lazy, just give me FFP for most uses, I want easy.

Not that I can compare the NSX to the ETR I am very impressed with it at all power ranges. And the reticle ... I am currently running it on my NRL22 rifle

Yeah I hear ya. I want ffp for that reason. I was just impressed with the eye relief on the nightforce and it’s an old model that I had.

I’m actually considering the Cronus btr now.... I know the turrets are not amazing but the glass seems good for the cash.

Reactions: steve123
I have 2 x Athlon Ares. Paid $850 each out the door for them. Awesome scopes. Easily on par with the vortex PST series. In summer of last year they released the Ares ETR with 34mm tube, 56mm objective. Not sure on price though.

Anyways, the Ares BTR has a 30mm tube, 50mm objective, FFP, can be had in mil or MOA, true zero stop, high density glass, illuminated reticle, exposed turrets, 100 MOA of elevation travel and 70 windage, shock proof, water proof, and has the no questions asked lifetime warranty. Clicks are loud, tactile, and repeatable.

Last edited:
I have 2 x Athlon Ares. Paid $850 each out the door for them. Awesome scopes. Easily on par with the vortex PST series. In summer of 2018 they are releasing the Ares ETR with 34mm tube, 56mm objective. Not sure on price though.

Anyways, the Ares BTR has a 30mm tube, 50mm objective, FFP, can be had in mil or MOA, true zero stop, high density glass, illuminated reticle, exposed turrets, 100 MOA of elevation travel and 70 windage, shock proof, water proof, and has the no questions asked lifetime warranty. Clicks are loud, tactile, and repeatable.
did this post someone get posted 1 year after being written???

I currently have an Ares BTR.

It’s a great scope for the price and when used on 24x it’s still very useable. I just don’t like how tight the eye box is at full mag and I got the first release model that’s quite mushy on the turrets.
I have seen their upgraded turrets and love that they are listening to feedback and have acted swiftly.

Just think that between the Nightforce options in FFP, Vortex Razor HD and the Cronus I prefer the sound of the Cronus price wise and including the weight should I never change stock back to a hunting model.

I found a comparison video and it talked about how great the eye relief was on the Cronus so that has swung it for me.... would still love to peek through one of those Meopta Optika scopes though.....

Yeah I know. They’re an excellent scope but would be a bit heavy for a hunting rig..... yeah yeah.... I know..... get in the gym son!!!

Reactions: steve123
The PST 5-25 has nicer turrets and smaller in size but for the cost this ETR is,a lot of scope and clear at 30 power. I'd still rather have the PST over the Btr