• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

What are your favorite calibers in covert for hunting and why? I’m looking at 6.5 creed. Your thoughts? Also 18 inch barrel?

So I got the SRS A2 all set up and ready to shoot tonight. 13.1 lbs with an ES Tactical 22.5 CR barrel, and 10 round magazine, without monopod or supressor. Has a Minox ZP5 5-25x56 with an ARC M10 QD-L 40mm high with 30 MOA

I’m not sure I like the length of the 10 round mag and may be willing to trade for a 6 round mag, but I want to shoot it this weekend before deciding.

I like everything but the butt pad attachment. It will probably get less difficult, and I’m still fiddling with the ergonomics. I think also, after I get my forearm wrap on, I may want to trim the hand guard back about an inch or so. I want to shoot it to see how I like the placement of everything before I go chopping, though.

Sunday is supposed to be pretty nice here so I’m hoping I can get some range time in.

Reactions: PRDRIVER
It does kinda sound like headspace is out of whack, although having a bulge on just one side of the brass is very odd...
If you know anyone that has Creedmoor headspace gauges (go, no-go), that would be a good place to start.
Also, if you have the Hornady headspace comparator tool (or similar), measuring the movement of the same spot on the shoulder pre and post firing is more telling than measuring OAL.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
.006 sounds like too much to me. My DT LW barrels don't grow factory brass by more than .001 to .002 max. You'll know when you get the G/NG gauges. That firing pin hole is a little messy too. It will suck to send it in but mistakes happen and DT will take care of it for you.

Reactions: rydah
Please correct me if I’m wrong.

I got my new SRS A2 with a factory 26 inch 6.5 creedmoor barrel and it seems to have headspacing and issues with the bolt/firing pin.

All my fired brass seems to be showing signs of stretching and pre case head seperation?

They have a shiny ring at the bottom of the case and a raised bulge on one side that I’m under the impression is from headspace that’s too long?

Only been firing factory Hornady precision hunter and factory Hornady American gunner through it and has about 30 rounds through it.
I pulled three bullets from the factory ammo and measured the case dimensions before firing and then after and before OAL was around 1.913 and after OAL was 1.922.

Barrel is installed correctly and it holds zero when I remove and reinstall it.

When I install the barrel I insert the barrel, close the bolt, turn the barrel clockwise and then tighten the bolts from front to back with the desert tech torque wrench and then close the barrel lock bolt.

The firing pin hole of the bolt seems
It seems oval in shape and the firing pin strikes are noticeably off centre.

Does all this seem normal or out of spec? Because it doesn’t seem normal to me. Especially not for a tier one rifle but I’m obviously upset so I’m trying to be fair and not overreact and every possible thing that’s wrong. Also two of the three mags I got have bent feed lips and one doesn’t feed, while the other just scratches the brass but that’s less important right now.

I’ve called and left desert tech a msg and emailed them so we will see what they say. I’m in Australia and we don’t have a distributor here, I had to import it myself, so hopefully they still want to help me.

It looks good at least.

View attachment 7195413
View attachment 7195414
View attachment 7195415
View attachment 7195416

That bulge just above the extractor groove shows up in several guns. Measure that on a fired case and again on an unfired case to see how much. If it's a lot of growth, then the chamber might be oversized but it doesn't look too bad in the picture. The case growth with the headspace gauge isn't uncommon. I've seen some new brass in other calibers grow more than that.

Reactions: rydah
,006 seems a bit excessive to me. I"d contact DT about that much of a headspace issue with a factory barrel. That is not the norm.

Getting an ars a1 covert chassis. Thinking of going with a 6.5 prc in 18 inch from es tactical. What are your thoughts on this setup and what bolt will I need. Also I’m guessing short action mag ?

Reactions: ChadL
Getting an ars a1 covert chassis. Thinking of going with a 6.5 prc in 18 inch from es tactical. What are your thoughts on this setup and what bolt will I need. Also I’m guessing short action mag ?

Will this be primarily for hunting? If it is a hunter it would be great one in my opinion. You'll need the 300wm bolt. If you plan to take it to the range regulary bear in mind your barrel life will be a fair bit shorter than 6.5 creedmoor. Short action mag, yes.

Reactions: Snipe260
Would this be primarily for hunting? If it is a hunter it would be great one in my opinion. You'll need the 300wm bolt. If you plan to take it to the range regulary bear in mind your barrel life will be a fair bit shorter than 6.5 creedmoor. Short action mag, yes.
Yes. Mainly for hunting and some long range plinking!

6.5 PRC requires the 300WM Bolt.
According to the SAAMI specifications, the 6.5 PRC cartridge has a max OAL of 2.955". A short action magazine has a maximum OAL of 2.900" and will be too short.

Short Action Customs offer a custom mid-action magazine upgrade.
Also, I read that people had success with the long action magazines. In addition, Desert Tech now offers a 300RUM conversion kit and the 300RUM cartridge does not fit the current long action magazines, maybe they (Desert Tech) also offer a new or special magazine for the 300RUM which would be great for the 6.5/300 PRC cartridges.

According to the SAAMI specifications, the 6.5 PRC cartridge has a max OAL of 2.955". A short action magazine has a maximum OAL of 2.900" and will be too short.

Also, I read that people had success with the long action magazines. In addition, Desert Tech now offers a 300RUM conversion kit and the 300RUM cartridge does not fit the current long action magazines, maybe they (Desert Tech) also offer a new or special magazine for the 300RUM which would be great for the 6.5/300 PRC cartridges.

The magazines for the .300 RUM are slightly different than the typical 5 round magnum magazine that has been offered from Desert Tech.

We have done a couple 18" PRC barrels for customers. One customer reported 2860 FPS with factory 143 ELD, which is not shabby out of an 18" barrel.

You'll need a .300 WM Bolt and long action magazine. The LA magazine can be finicky. I'm in the process of building up a 22.5" Proof Carbon barreled 6.5PRC for myself and plan on tinkering with the magazines a bit. DT came out with a new mag for the 300 Ultra mag, which I will probably try as well.

Reactions: Snipe260
The magazines for the .300 RUM are slightly different than the typical 5 round magnum magazine that has been offered from Desert Tech.
What's the SKU of that magazine?

I'm only aware of the short action magazine with SKU: DT-SRS-MG-AL and the long action magazine with SKU: DT-SRS-MG-BL.

We have done a couple 18" PRC barrels for customers. One customer reported 2860 FPS with factory 143 ELD, which is not shabby out of an 18" barrel.

You'll need a .300 WM Bolt and long action magazine. The LA magazine can be finicky. I'm in the process of building up a 22.5" Proof Carbon barreled 6.5PRC for myself and plan on tinkering with the magazines a bit. DT came out with a new mag for the 300 Ultra mag, which I will probably try as well.
I had been kicking around the idea of a 6.5 creed. The reason now for the pro is it should give me as much velocity in a shorter barrel. That’s why I’m going with covert to keep it short pm me a cost of your barrel in 18 if you will. Thanks I’m prob gonna be shooting 140 Berger elite hunters

What's the SKU of that magazine?

I'm only aware of the short action magazine with SKU: DT-SRS-MG-AL and the long action magazine with SKU: DT-SRS-MG-BL.

I have not seen a new part number in the price list, but I have spoken with DT Employees and pulled magazines out of the RUM Conversion kits to check out the differences. The magazine is slightly different than the standard BL magazine.

That's good to know. I like the 300 RUM

I’m about to put my A1 chassis up for sale and then get an A2. Let me know if you guys need an extra or know somebody looking to get into the platform. Black/black, standard length forend. If it made a better setup, I could sell it with a .308 conversion.

I did some light range work on the new rifle. 22.5 ES Tac 6.5 CM with a TBAC Ultra 7. Minox ZP5 5-25x56 in an American Rifle Company M10 Q-DL 40 mm high, 30 MOA base.

I bought some cheap Sellier & Bellot ammo to shoot while I break the barrel in. After getting the rifle zeroed at 100 yards, I have 17 Mils of up elevation left on the scope out of 28. I know that the ammo is pretty tame and different ammo will be higher velocity, but that still seems rather middle of my scope for the MOA base and distance.

Am I out of line to think I should have been further down the elevation on my scope?

Thanks!

Would a nightforce atacr at 14.3 inches be too long for a covert?

I did some light range work on the new rifle. 22.5 ES Tac 6.5 CM with a TBAC Ultra 7. Minox ZP5 5-25x56 in an American Rifle Company M10 Q-DL 40 mm high, 30 MOA base.

I bought some cheap Sellier & Bellot ammo to shoot while I break the barrel in. After getting the rifle zeroed at 100 yards, I have 17 Mils of up elevation left on the scope out of 28. I know that the ammo is pretty tame and different ammo will be higher velocity, but that still seems rather middle of my scope for the MOA base and distance.

Am I out of line to think I should have been further down the elevation on my scope?

Thanks!

I had a similar experience with my rifle… the velocity will improve a couple hundred feet per second as the barrel gets broken in in the next few hundred rounds. Combine that with the S&B ammo, which is couple hundred feet per second slower than std 6.5 Creedmoor loading, that adds up to what you’re experiencing.

Gonna take a lot of velocity to be at the 23mil area he should be.
Have you shot it without the suppressor?

Gonna take a lot of velocity to be at the 23mil area he should be.
Have you shot it without the suppressor?
I have not. Since I never shoot unsuppressed and only have 20 rounds down the pipe, I haven’t played with it much, yet. I was just very surprised I wasn’t in the bottom 1/3 of my elevation.

may need that 60 MOA scope mount to get more travel on my rifle. I have plenty for 1000 yards but when I can afford it, I’m wanting to add barrels to get me to a mile. I’ll need a different mount to do that.

I have not. Since I never shoot unsuppressed and only have 20 rounds down the pipe, I haven’t played with it much, yet. I was just very surprised I wasn’t in the bottom 1/3 of my elevation.

may need that 60 MOA scope mount to get more travel on my rifle. I have plenty for 1000 yards but when I can afford it, I’m wanting to add barrels to get me to a mile. I’ll need a different mount to do that.

How much gap between the bottom of your objective bell on the scope and the top of the forend?

Attachments

• 44591A92-51CD-4BBD-BE98-45C92B01EA6E.jpeg
    44591A92-51CD-4BBD-BE98-45C92B01EA6E.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 166

I think I would look at a different mount. Unless I’m losing my mind (always possible), closing that gap will Give you back elevation options in the right direction. Check out the aadmount (or many others.)

can someone else check my logic here?

Changing the height of the mount does relatively nothing to your elevation. You want to make the front lower than the rear. That's what canted mounts do for you.

Just so we are clear though, you dont combine a low ring and a high ring. You get a canted mount or adjustable rings like Burris.
I think I would look at a different mount. Unless I’m losing my mind (always possible), closing that gap will Give you back elevation options in the right direction. Check out the aadmount (or many others.)

can someone else check my logic here?

Reactions: 65x55guy and Bradu
For those of you wanting RRS spec ARCA style rails on the A2. Do you want a continual full length rail along the entire bottom of the hand guard to the frame or would you prefer a shorter rail (5” or so) that would go from the trigger guard to to the first couple inches of the hand guard (similar to what RRS has for the A1)?

Reactions: deersniper
Shorter rail.

For those of you wanting RRS spec ARCA style rails on the A2. Do you want a continual full length rail along the entire bottom of the hand guard to the frame or would you prefer a shorter rail (5” or so) that would go from the trigger guard to to the first couple inches of the hand guard (similar to what RRS has for the A1)?

I don't have any plans to go to an A2, but my A1 has a full length rail and my Atlas bipods all have RRS clamps so I can slide the bipod rearward if I need to shoot off some sort of barricade as well as mounting to a tripod

So I’ve seen a couple posts about cutting down SRS A1 handguards and thought I had stumbled across some covert length ones for sale. Can anyone point me to a place to buy covert length hand guard for my A1?

Cutting down?
My covert has a short forearm, barely clears a 16 barrel. What were you looking for?

Cutting down?
My covert has a short forearm, barely clears a 16 barrel. What were you looking for?

Sorry should have been more clear. I currently have the standard length that clears a 22.5” barrel. I want to get down to covert length but I don’t want to cut down like I’ve seen some do to get to covert length, would rather get a covert hand guard and have both but wasn’t finding anything looking around at some online stores.

Sorry should have been more clear. I currently have the standard length that clears a 22.5” barrel. I want to get down to covert length but I don’t want to cut down like I’ve seen some do to get to covert length, would rather get a covert hand guard and have both but wasn’t finding anything looking around at some online stores.
Midwest Gun Works has the covert handguard. Don't forget to get the handguard tool.

Reactions: Gilly

Ahhhhhh. I see. Desert tech doesnt sell the part? They have 1 mammoth dealer with lots of inventory... big warehouse full of DTS.
I'm little shocked they cant help you direct though.

Mark from SAC replied to an email I sent asking for approx time for my 223 conversion I ordered on the Black Friday special. He said they’re done or nearly so on their work. Waiting on parts from Desert Tech before shipping. He said a couple weeks, hopefully.

I was totally expecting February or even March if the orders were numerous. Not late December or early January.

Now I need to decide on some ammo to buy. Anyone want to suggest something that works well in their barrel?

Edit:

I guess I should add I have ordered a 26”, long range chamber for the barrel, not the varmit chamber.

Last edited: