Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

65x55guy

Maker of bad decisions
Hessian
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Arkansas
The A1 Trigger is better, IMHO.

I traded to the covert forend for weight purposes when I got the A2. But I have a larger hand than normal and the trigger pull can’t be adjusted on the A2. That kind of sucks. May end up adding a little padding where the web of my hand touches the grip to help trigger pull distance.

Reactions: Edgecrusher

sakha

Private
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2019
Does someone know the factory barrel profile's measurements? Specifically on a 22".

12B.Ryan

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2019
I have been shooting my SRS A1 and Covert set ups for a good while now. When did they release the A2 and what is different from the A1's? Are barrels interchangeable?
The barrels are interchangeable between the SRS-A2, SRS-A1, and the older Gen 2. I know of people show have purchased the new SRS-A2 chassis and used their conversion kits from the SRS-A1 chassis. Or in my case I have a new conversion kit in my 5 year old Gen 2 SRS. The only chassis that is different as far as compatibility with barrels is the Gen 1 SRS (the original design). And even then it's just a different barrel extension. You could could take off a Gen 1 barrel extension and attach a Gen 2 barrel extension. The would allow the old Gen 1 barrel to be used in the new chassis.

Last edited:

NET65

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 19, 2009
TX
How many times do you think compatibility amongst different DT iterations has been brought up in this 245 page thread? Between barrel extensions and fore ends I’ll bet it’s at least 25. Perhaps we need a sticky within the thread, so the first post on each page is a compatibility chart?

Reactions: 12B.Ryan

12B.Ryan

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2019
I have been shooting my SRS A1 and Covert set ups for a good while now. When did they release the A2 and what is different from the A1's? Are barrels interchangeable?
How many times do you think compatibility amongst different DT iterations has been brought up in this 245 page thread? Between barrel extensions and fore ends I’ll bet it’s at least 25. Perhaps we need a sticky within the thread, so the first post on each page is a compatibility chart?
It has been brought up too many times. Even though it is kind of understandable with new people coming on. I like the sticky idea or a simple link to a chart that shows all the changes over the different revisions. I'll write something up and see if it makes sense to post on a website or just a simple sticky like you said.

pinhead

Unnecessary Overkill
Belligerents
Nov 30, 2013
Orchard Lake, MI
The question about extension/barrel compatibility does get asked a lot but I think it’s normal. I don’t mind answering the question. Not everyone goes through all 200+ pages of a thread prior to buying a Desert Tech rifle like I did. I think every question about our rifles has been addressed in the vast reaches of this forum space.

If I had a 223 conversion I would have a dedicated bolt.

panhndl

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2009
Guymon, OK
www.hitchok.com
Have a couple questions.

1. Has anyone found a decent soft case besides the DT one? I don’t think I want to spend $300. I have 2 barrels, 2 magazines & 2 bolts.

2. I know someone mentioned a sling that was really good for a heavier rifle. I think it had backpack straps but I can’t find it. Anyone know which it was or want to make a rec for a good sling for the rifle.

sixstrings101

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 12, 2014
Have a couple questions.

1. Has anyone found a decent soft case besides the DT one? I don’t think I want to spend $300. I have 2 barrels, 2 magazines & 2 bolts.

2. I know someone mentioned a sling that was really good for a heavier rifle. I think it had backpack straps but I can’t find it. Anyone know which it was or want to make a rec for a good sling for the rifle.
I only use a hard case for them. I use the TAB gear pinnacle sling. They have the biathlon sling that I think has straps.

ggmanning

Bird Dog
Belligerents
Apr 23, 2010
Broadway NC,Sneads Ferry NC
About as much as questions about ring height, trigger adjustment, covert vs recon, and on and on. Nature of an open internet forum. Topics come up over and over again. There will always be those who feel they are fully in the "know" annoyed by questions they feel below their level of investment in said thread or topic. It's been that way since I started here in 2009 and probably every open board on any topic on the web. There is no way around it and it will always be that way. In my estimation it's worth it for open exchange of information. Perhaps a closed DT thread with a 100 question test to qualify for the privilege to ask a question would alleviate the woes of redundancy for the elite:p

Seriously though there is likely not a good solution because I am well indoctrinated having been around here for a long time and using the DT platform for years and still triggered animosity from a few. It's why I spend most of my time shooting and not keeping up with the latest ebb and flow on the Hide and why i didn't even know a new DT generation was even released. Was my post a poor one? Probably. Going to happen again in the next 20 pages? POH 100%. My mistake.

panhndl

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2009
Guymon, OK
www.hitchok.com
There is a Desert Tech section with tons of good info on the SRS under “resources”, but there’s no real way for someone new to know about it except by chance.

Most of the repetitive questions can be answered there. If you want to truly help someone with basic questions that have been answered many times before, refer them to that. It’s a pretty damn good compilation of information.

Reactions: SNOW JW

panhndl

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2009
Guymon, OK
www.hitchok.com
I only use a hard case for them. I use the TAB gear pinnacle sling. They have the biathlon sling that I think has straps.
Triad Precision Rifle case , holds 3 conversions and plenty of mags with it .
ill show you a layout in the morning

have had mine for 5 years now and no signs of wear and tear . handles the weight perfectly fine
Awesome guys. That’s exactly what I was looking for.

Butler12

Private
Belligerents
Aug 28, 2014
Hi,
does anyone know who might have some Desert Tech blanks in stock.
Can you also use heavy varmint blanks with their 5" 1.250 parallel ?

odoylerules

Private
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2017
Put on a Hoptic USA bullet quiver on my SRSA-1 today. I really like it. Wish it could be a little further back. It’s still an easy reach. 26E81354-4C8C-4C64-A2E7-DADCB14EE5C8.jpeg

Reactions: Edgecrusher

biffj

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 23, 2010
east central indiana
I've never seen DT spec blanks for sale but maybe someone does have them. I buy straight cylindrical blanks of 1.275" diameter or larger so that I can turn the down to exactly 1.25 for the clamping surface. I don't trust most of the center turned blanks to be within the spec of the necessary dimensions for the barrel. It means a little more work for me to turn off all the excess but things work out well in the end. Check with any of the barrel makers and just let them know you must have a minimum finish diameter of 1.250 + 0 -.001 so you need a larger diameter than that for your blank.

Frank

odoylerules

Private
Belligerents
Apr 25, 2017
I found this one

culater

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 18, 2012
Well got to finally get to run my DTA Hard yesterday. I feel very at home with it and now going to part ways with my other conventional rifle. I’ve had for 19 yrs.The only upgrades are the rails to aluminum and possibly a wider bipod foot print.

Any spare parts should I have in the bag for the A1

ggmanning

Bird Dog
Belligerents
Apr 23, 2010
Broadway NC,Sneads Ferry NC
I do have a spare trigger pack and bolt pins/springs/extractor but I have been through a bunch of rounds and shot out a couple barrels on one chassis with no issues. I doubt you'll ever need any spare parts.

Last edited:
Reactions: deersniper

SNOW JW

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2018
There is a Desert Tech section with tons of good info on the SRS under “resources”, but there’s no real way for someone new to know about it except by chance.

Most of the repetitive questions can be answered there. If you want to truly help someone with basic questions that have been answered many times before, refer them to that. It’s a pretty damn good compilation of information.

Thanks for the re-posting the link I never have seen it before.

panhndl

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2009
Guymon, OK
www.hitchok.com
Ok, I need some help. Every time I change barrels, I lose zero. My E-S Tactical barrel moves 1-1.5 MOA @ 100 yards each time. Up, down, right, left. I un-tension the bolts nearest the muzzle first to furthest from the muzzle and re-torque nearest to furthest. When I insert the barrel into the chassis, I turn the barrel counter clockwise seating it before closing the bolt.

My Short Action Customs barrel seems to be much better and I do it exactly the same.

The only thing I don’t do is use the barrel lock on the ES-Tactical barrel.

Anyone want to offer any advice? I’ll take it

SRPowah

Gunny Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017
Peoria, IL
Every time I change barrels, I lose zero. My E-S Tactical barrel moves 1-1.5 MOA @ 100 yards each time.
New barrel or new issue that just started? I never use the barrel lock. Hold chassis vertical, drop barrel straight in, lock bolt, torque from muzzle to stock. I am yet to have an issue.

Reactions: M77 and culater

culater

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 18, 2012
Ok, I need some help. Every time I change barrels, I lose zero. My E-S Tactical barrel moves 1-1.5 MOA @ 100 yards each time. Up, down, right, left. I un-tension the bolts nearest the muzzle first to furthest from the muzzle and re-torque nearest to furthest. When I insert the barrel into the chassis, I turn the barrel counter clockwise seating it before closing the bolt.

My Short Action Customs barrel seems to be much better and I do it exactly the same.

I didn't notice any shift with mine yet. I'll have to do more testing.

Juggerxxx

Sergeant
Belligerents
Feb 13, 2017

Are you shooting on big temperature shift days and with hand loads or Factory ammo? Prone each time or from a bench each time?

panhndl

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2009
Guymon, OK
www.hitchok.com
New barrel or new issue that just started? I never use the barrel lock. Hold chassis vertical, drop barrel straight in, lock bolt, torque from muzzle to stock. I am yet to have an issue.
New A2 chassis and new barrels. Have had this problem from the beginning. Chassis is vertical during the barrel change.
Are you shooting on big temperature shift days and with hand loads or Factory ammo? Prone each time or from a bench each time?
I have shot in situations with both swings and stable. I am always using factory ammo. I have shot from both prone and bench With no discernible difference in results.

cypriss32

L337
Belligerents
Aug 27, 2004
Fresno, Ca
Desert Tech Data Dump... 2nd attempt

DESERT TECH OFFICIAL SITE

Also, scroll to bottom of page and select month/year to read more from the archives

RETAILERS and/or CUSTOM BARRELS

PROOF RESEARCH CARBON FIBER BARRELS

MISC PARTS

BOLT KNOBS ・look for Bergara or CZ Style - metric thread, M6x1.0
Also, Search “Snipe Custom Arms“​

SINGLE SHOT SLED

CHASSIS PLATE

ARCA RAILS - SRS A1
MLOK Specific – shouldn't be hard to find others with a search​

SRS TRIGGER JOB

SRS DIFFERENCES

SRS GETS BRUTALIZED

TOOLS

Barrel Extension Wrench - Tenon thread pitch 1 1/16 -16

Fore-End Removal Tool

Fore-End Upgrade Kit Procedure

BORE GUIDE (other)

ADJUSTABLE BUTT PAD

CHEEK RISER PADS

GRIP STUFF

HANDGUARD INSULATOR

MAGAZINE HOLSTER

Case Club Case for SRS

AMAZON

EBAY

MAGNETOSPEED ADAPTOR

FRONT TRIPOD

BULLET QUIVERS

NV Clip on adaptor

SCOPE MOUNTS – seen in this forum (other) - 1.5" centerline height preferred lowest for 56mm
Other Brands 0-40MOA
70 MOA
35mm diameter
35mm

YOUTUBE VIDEOS

SOCIAL MEDIA PAGES

FDE Color

SEE ATTACHED FILES FOR PDFs:
  • Desert Tech SRS A1 Users Manual
  • Stock bolt set placement
  • Primal Rights Trigger Job
  • Forearm Upgrade Procedure

Let me know if there's anything that should be added or removed...
bump

Reactions: Sericus and panhndl

jzerfoss

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2019
WV and VA
We had the RRS spec ARCA/Dovetail rails show up last week for the SRS A2 and Covert A2 rifles.

We have full length rails for both the SRS A2 and Covert A2 chassis. These rails go from the muzzle end of the hand guard back to the trigger guard. We also have a short rail that is 5" long and goes from the trigger guard to the first couple inches of the hand guard. The short rail will mount on with the SRS A2 or Covert A2.

https://www.specialpurposerifles.com/desert-tech/desert-tech-a2-rrs-arca-rails

View attachment 7229612
That's one good looking rig there!

Reactions: PRDRIVER

12B.Ryan

Private
Minuteman
Sep 19, 2019
An addition to the ARCA rails. Special Purpose Rifles worked with Sawtooth rifles to make a 1.5 RRS rail for the SRS-A2/Covert M-LOK hand guard that extends all the back to the trigger guard using the integrated tripod mount in the chassis. Link to website below

M77

Private
Belligerents
Oct 17, 2012
Australia
Literally drop it in , twist left to right to feel it seated in the slot , close the bolt , and torque with 70" seekonk top to bottom

biffj

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 23, 2010
east central indiana
Why would the barrel rotate when you close the bolt? Are you putting Gen 2 barrel extensions in a gen 1 rifle? My gen 1 barrels have no slop and neither do the gen 2's. The only time I can get any slop is with the gen 2 extensions in the gen 1 rifle.

I've had a pretty good number of barrels in my gen 1 rifle and never saw any shift in zero with a particular barrel regardless of what order I tightened screws, or whether I used the lock or not. The same is true of the Gen 2 rifles I've been making barrels for for the last 10 years. I have noted that the zero does change from barrel to barrel but usually not by much and that is something I'd expect. Every barrel is going to be a little different so changes in zero should be expected.

Now one thing I can see as a possibility for you is that your barrels aren't all the same diameter where the clamps hold them. If there is any taper it can affect the clamping and then the order of tightening might make a difference. Check your barrels with a good micrometer. Measure from right in front of the barrel extension about every half inch out to 5 inches past the extension. Measure again at 90 degrees from the first set. You should get 1.250" at all locations with no taper or out of round and dimensions bigger than 1.250 can be a problem. According to the original spec for the barrels the tolerance was + 0.000 and - 0.001 so there is only a .001" tolerance on that part. Keep it that way and there should be no zero issues. If its not right it could be the problem. Some makers aren't keeping the tolerance so keep this in mind when looking at pricing. Sometimes you get what you pay for and sometimes you don't.

Frank

Reactions: deersniper and M77

biffj

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jan 23, 2010
east central indiana
One more little detail I keep meaning to mention and forget is that guys want cerakoted barrels and neglect to consider that it will affect the clamp up on the barrel. If you're getting your barrels painted you should mask off the section that is clamped in the receiver. I have had to sand off a few customer barrels that they had cerakoted because they would no longer fit in the receiver. Even if they're not so oversized they won't fit you are affecting a part of the barrel that is key in the accuracy dept. Don't add another variable to the already complex equation of accuracy.

Frank

culater

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 18, 2012
One more little detail I keep meaning to mention and forget is that guys want cerakoted barrels and neglect to consider that it will affect the clamp up on the barrel. If you're getting your barrels painted you should mask off the section that is clamped in the receiver. I have had to sand off a few customer barrels that they had cerakoted because they would no longer fit in the receiver. Even if they're not so oversized they won't fit you are affecting a part of the barrel that is key in the accuracy dept. Don't add another variable to the already complex equation of accuracy.

Frank
Man I have to make a phone call about the paint job tomorrow about not painting the clamping area.

panhndl

Private
Hessian
Belligerents
Apr 10, 2009
Guymon, OK
www.hitchok.com
When I say rotate, it is before I close the bolt. The barrel can rotate a bit back and forth when it is proper position. I always rotate mine to the max counter clockwise just in case so when I close the bolt, it will already be in the counter clockwise most position.

The ES Tactical barrel has no ceracote and the SAC barrel is ceracoted but not on the extension.