Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

BClrh

Private
Belligerents
Mar 16, 2017
I want to try to run 75gr eld match bullets in my 223 conversion with an 18" barrel. I was looking at varget or h4895. I think with the long range chamber there should be enough case capacity to run varget without being to compressed but I was wondering if h4895 would do better in the shorter barrel since it has a faster burn rate? I have never loaded for a 223 so any thoughts would be great.

I also want to run a bulk factory ammo for plinking. Has anyone found a brand that's work well for them. Up here the cheapest stuff is the 55gr and 62gr barnaul fmjbt. Since I will have a 6.5 twist I think I would lean towards the 62gr. I don't know if barnaul is in the USA

Reactions: 65x55guy

cro789

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 20, 2008
tn
ggmanning I am running 24.5 target with a Berger 80.5 and getting 2850 with a 1/4 " groups when I do my part. Oh by the way it is one of the funniest shooting guns I have ever owned. Hope you have as much fun as I.

Riggs

Private
Belligerents
Aug 24, 2013
Getting ready to jump into a DT SRS A2 covert-

My main question is, should I start with a factory barrel, or with a setup from someone like SAC or ES Tactical? Any advantages to either?

I plan on beginning with a 6.5 CM, followed by a 223 in the future.

sixstrings101

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 12, 2014
Fqctory barrels are fine, but you can get exactly what fits your needs through several vetted smiths. I have a some of both.

65x55guy

Maker of bad decisions
Hessian
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Arkansas

My main question is, should I start with a factory barrel, or with a setup from someone like SAC or ES Tactical? Any advantages to either?

I would go with whichever is the more economical option. Most here have had great experiences with both factory and SAC/ES barrels. 6 one way....

supratt96

Sergeant
Belligerents
Dec 22, 2010
New Jersey, USA
I

I have one factory barrel, two SAC barrels, two ES Tactical barrels and one from TS Customs.

They all shoot well, but I would have to say that the SAC barrels are my best. Noticeably more accurate, easier to load for and more consistent. Maybe it's because SAC uses Bartlein blanks. Or maybe his machine work is just a bit more precise. And then again, it could just be coincidence.

sixstrings101

Sergeant
Belligerents
Jun 12, 2014
I have barrels from PVA, SAC, DT factory, TS and a ES tac one arriving any day. Cant complain about any of them.

BravoSector1

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 26, 2011
Alabama
My DT SRS A1 trigger won't reset....

I have a request in online with DT but thought someone here may have an idea. I conducted a barrel swap, factory .308 barrel, and reinstalled everything. Ops checked the rifle/trigger twice with no issues. On the third go I was unable to get the trigger to trip the sear and the safety won't move.

Any ideas?

BravoSector1

Sergeant
Belligerents
Oct 26, 2011
Alabama
That was my next move but wanted to check here for a potential solution prior to that. I'm not getting any movement in the trigger when the sear resets nor will the safety engage so I'll pull the skins and see what's up. Thanks.

Last edited:

Reload10

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
Does anyone think a Spuhr mount is too large for this platform? Aesthetics wise.

Georgedubya

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2018
Westchester County, NY
I too am interested in feedback on proof barrels in the srs's
I have two. One is a 300 prc done by SAC. The other is a 6.5 creed by ES tactical.

The 300 PRC shoots factory ammo (225 ELDM and 213 ELDX) at half moa, or at least that’s as well as I can shoot it. I haven’t shot the creed yet. Just got it. Will report when I do.

Hope that helps.

waveslayer

Belligerents
Mar 6, 2012
CA
Good to hear thanks for the feedback, probably going to pick up an A2 here soon. The SAC mag kit looks slick is that a must have or just bending the feed lips will do it?
I just bent the lips. It works fine, no issues at all

Reload10

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2018
Just for clarification- Desert tech only has a Short action and a long action mag correct? Any differences aside from bending feed lips betwwen the same action lengths?

waveslayer

Belligerents
Mar 6, 2012
CA
Just for clarification- Desert tech only has a Short action and a long action mag correct? Any differences aside from bending feed lips betwwen the same action lengths?
There is a piece of metal in the rear of the short action to keep the rounds in check. That's the only differenc, plus feed lips are a closer on the short action. In my SAUM I can run my modified mag or a magnum mag, no problem

mountainman308

Sergeant of the Hide
Belligerents
Jul 20, 2012
WV, USA
Has anyone ever SBR’d a desert tech? I just had my hand guard off and I realized you still have 7 inches of barrel, even without the hand guard on the gun. It could be slick to run a 300 Blk and a can that short.

65x55guy

Maker of bad decisions
Hessian
Belligerents
Feb 14, 2017
Arkansas
Anyone got a reliable lead time on Chassis and such from Desert Tech. I ordered in Mid January; I've been told "next week" every Friday since. It's getting into spring time and I need to start getting practice in!
that’s weird. Pretty sure that tomorrow we would have a conversation called “email me the tracking number or cancel the order.”

there’s plenty of folks that have DTA chassis’ in stock.

Reactions: Goin'Hot

deersniper

Notorious
Belligerents
Feb 22, 2007
Northeast

I have a 400 round count 26” barrel I would sell for $800 shipped. The factory barrels shoot really really well. I bought this to use in my covert but then I bought a AI and srs and don’t needn’t it as a backup tool the moment

Sericus

Private
Belligerents
May 7, 2017
Charlotte, NC
For those with the Vortex Razor Gen 2. What flip caps or lens protectors do you use? Unsure about the ones from Vortex at them moment.

Sericus

Private
Belligerents
May 7, 2017
Charlotte, NC

Attachments

SniperEnvy

Private
Hessian
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2019
Commifornia
I think i'm going to pull the trigger on a covert hand guard for my SRS A1. I currently have 3 DTA barrels: 338, 6.5CM and 308. I'll probably cut the 26" 6.5CM to 16" rather than searching for a new barrel. I'll keep the 308 as is at 22". I'm contemplating about cutting the 338lm, but i'm not sure i'd be too thrilled on the big boom with that caliber on a short barrel. Folks with an 18" 338lm, how is it?

Also to those who did the hand guard conversion. Do you find yourself ever moving back to the SRS hand guard? Or once you go covert, you never go back?

I'm in a state where I can't get a suppressor :-(.

Sericus

Private
Belligerents
May 7, 2017
Charlotte, NC
I think i'm going to pull the trigger on a covert hand guard for my SRS A1. I currently have 3 DTA barrels: 338, 6.5CM and 308. I'll probably cut the 26" 6.5CM to 16" rather than searching for a new barrel. I'll keep the 308 as is at 22". I'm contemplating about cutting the 338lm, but i'm not sure i'd be too thrilled on the big boom with that caliber on a short barrel. Folks with an 18" 338lm, how is it?

Also to those who did the hand guard conversion. Do you find yourself ever moving back to the SRS hand guard? Or once you go covert, you never go back?

I'm in a state where I can't get a suppressor :-(.
I was in the same boat. I pulled the trigger and got the kit. Works well with an 18" 6.5 and a 26" 338. It wasn't a quick change, so that keeps me from going back to the longer rail. Unless I'm shooting 338 for an entire week or more, I'll keep the covert rail. I feel more stable with my bipod out further on the longer barrels, but the covert is so nice an compact for the shorter barrels. I rarely go back to the longer rail.