• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

I apologize if this has already been discussed in the previous 12,375 posts, but I’m curious if a stock 26 inch DTA barrel can be successfully cut down to shorten it. I wasnt sure if the stock barrel fluting prevents cutting and rethreading. Thanks
Yes it can. Cut down my 6.5 creed And rethreaded shoots great

Reactions: Drew890

Attachments

• 611E2619-48CA-4DEF-B934-43FAB5D234A1.jpeg
    611E2619-48CA-4DEF-B934-43FAB5D234A1.jpeg
    458.5 KB · Views: 118
  • 75EE805C-9C3B-403F-A95A-FAFABD4523A8.jpeg
    75EE805C-9C3B-403F-A95A-FAFABD4523A8.jpeg
    338.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 989F1855-BFEA-4EB9-B0C6-E9075717444A.jpeg
    989F1855-BFEA-4EB9-B0C6-E9075717444A.jpeg
    441.1 KB · Views: 111
Reactions: Drew890
Anyone shooting HTI’s in a 375 CT? Greg no longer sells them but Eric will spin a K & P barrel for me. Thoughts?

Any issues feeding a 40* shoulder from the long action mags? Thinking of the 338 norma mag improved, or an improved saum like a sherman short mag

Don't shoot short mags - no reason really.

338 LM feeds fine and I am sure the NM will need some polishing of the mag lips.

My Conversion in 6.5CM is finally shipping. The chassis, too, I believe. Desert Tech was out of the office yesterday from what I can tell.

My next conversion will be a bigger boomer.

I live in Ohio. Bigger calibers are simply just something that I'll not shoot much but think will be fun to throw heavy lead with.

Is there a reason I should go with .338 NM instead of .338LM? Some other 250gr+ round that has a advantage over the (relative) availability of .338LM?

My Conversion in 6.5CM is finally shipping. The chassis, too, I believe. Desert Tech was out of the office yesterday from what I can tell.

I live in Ohio. Bigger calibers are simply just something that I'll not shoot much but think will be fun to throw heavy lead with.

Is there a reason I should go with .338 NM instead of .338LM? Some other 250gr+ round that has a advantage over the (relative) availability of .338LM?
300 Norma mag!!!

Reactions: deersniper

It doesn’t meet the 250gr+ requirement but the 300 PRC is a pretty interesting round and ammo is much less expensive.

Anyone shooting HTI’s in a 375 CT? Greg no longer sells them but Eric will spin a K & P barrel for me. Thoughts?
I have a good friend shooting the 375 CT in his HTI. He managed a hit at 2 miles last june in South Dakota. Many repeatable hits at 2700 to 3000 yds too. I built the barrel he was shooting out there from a Bartlein blank. Its about 36" to gain a bit more velocity. Its much better than the factory barrel up close too. I like the round myself. Its not bad to shoot in the HTI and is really accurate. I wouldn't hesitate to do one of those if I had an HTI. I made up a 33XC for my SRS and got out to 2600 without too much trouble.

Frank

Is anyone running a 6.5 SAUM in an SRS? How does it shoot/feed?
I use a 6.5 Saum in an a1. Mostly that conversion for hunting. Shoots and feeds great. 22.5’’ barrel. Run it suppressed sometimes. Berger vld hunting 140gr around 61 gr of h1000, average 3015 mv. I think that barrel and mag was from tye . I’ll post a couple pics of the bent mag.

Reactions: GMZ
I finally joined the srs cool kid club. Picked up an A1 covert on another site and took it out this weekend for some range therapy with a buddy. I'm madly in love with this thing and wish I'd have got one a long time ago. Waiting on my can to get out of atf jail and it cant come soon enough because a 16" 308 is a little obnoxious without a can.
20200315_205744.jpg
20200315_205847.jpg

I use a 6.5 Saum in an a1. Mostly that conversion for hunting. Shoots and feeds great. 22.5’’ barrel. Run it suppressed sometimes. Berger vld hunting 140gr around 61 gr of h1000, average 3015 mv. I think that barrel and mag was from tye . I’ll post a couple pics of the bent mag.

Awesome how is H1000 with the can? I hear it cakes up really quickly. Got an A1 on the way from Fred, looking at getting a SAUM bbl from ES in 22.5 or 24.

Anyone else have a firing pin hole way off center? Using Berger 156eol ammo and it shot like shit. 1.5 moa at 100yds.

Attachments

• C8B56395-29CE-4D64-960C-2058EDDA6D1F.jpeg
    C8B56395-29CE-4D64-960C-2058EDDA6D1F.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
Yep that’s odd being off center but has been mentioned previously On this thread but dont know here. I’m assuming all ammo you shoot the primer strikes are off center, as long as it goes boom and the bullet exits the muzzle it doesn’t matter. As far as the ammo goes I’d mark that up to just not being a good match for your rifle. Berger says minimum 8 twist which I’m again guessing you have since that’s pretty common for the 6.5. Might need to load your own so you can tweak things to make the 156 get the accuracy you are looking for.

I just am a little disappointed considering the cost of the rifle. I'm hoping it doesn't lead to high SD'S.

What factory ammo are people shooting successfully in their 6.5 cm factory barrel?

It's primarily due to the larger firing pin aperture than required and a free-floating firing pin. It was designed this way as to prevent debris from obstructing the firing pin. I don't remember if my primer strikes are off-center, but I always get some cratering, regardless of charge weight. I know primer seating depth inconsistencies can create larger deviations in MV, but I doubt a hundredth of an inch from the center can really affect SD's, if it does I imagine it would be negligible. However, it won't hurt to call DT.

Reactions: Mr. Z
I just am a little disappointed considering the cost of the rifle. I'm hoping it doesn't lead to high SD'S.

What factory ammo are people shooting successfully in their 6.5 cm factory barrel?
Hornady 140 American gunner and 140 amax

Thats winchester xp deer season from my factory 26”. Bonked that last shot. Otherwise loves hornady 140 and fed 130fgmm

Attachments

• 35CEE1D4-1ACB-4A80-B9CD-E391AD7264FA.jpeg
    35CEE1D4-1ACB-4A80-B9CD-E391AD7264FA.jpeg
    364.1 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: deersniper
ThanKs for the responses. I'm going to call DT on Monday, hopefully I get to actually talk to someone. Might order a box of their ammo to try out if they say the out of center hole is no problem.... But Idk how this could have passed any sort of QC. You can see how far off it is on the bolt face.

Attachments

• D9A52325-3873-4F68-9ED2-EDBDCEF23EB4.jpeg
    D9A52325-3873-4F68-9ED2-EDBDCEF23EB4.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 187

Wouldn't worry about it , here's mine
140 elds

Attachments

• 15847540115956077316287974728178.jpg
    15847540115956077316287974728178.jpg
    307.4 KB · Views: 148
  • 15847542930578765447046060682730.jpg
    15847542930578765447046060682730.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 152
Reactions: Reload10
@Reload10 i dont know if this is your first time running the DT or not but they can take some time to get used to the platform .
not questioning your shooting but i would put more rounds down range and learn the system first . you could say my primers are similar to yours . i would clean the bolt face and see if you can actually measure the hole with a caliper .

Reactions: Surferjoe
12,409 posts...249 pages. What info is missing the will help you learn the platform inside and out? No other forum that I have heard of other than search Google. It's just a rifle...not that complicated.

Reactions: Mr. Z and M77
ThanKs for the responses. I'm going to call DT on Monday, hopefully I get to actually talk to someone. Might order a box of their ammo to try out if they say the out of center hole is no problem.... But Idk how this could have passed any sort of QC. You can see how far off it is on the bolt face.

well I checked mine, been shooting this for years and never paid attention to see if primer strikes were centered, they aren’t. My firing pin hole in the bolt face is only a little off center.
bottom line is, I use this bolt on two different 6.5 barrels and a 308 barrel, all three shoot consistent 3/8” MOA. Also have a long action bolt and barrel, primer strikes not dead center but same 3/8” moa. Hard to beat the DT platform for accuracy from a mass produced rifle.
I believe DT will make things good for you, good luck.
0D67D016-BCB7-469F-A375-E85891B513BA.jpeg

Reactions: waveslayer
I don’t recall this subject coming up, and I’ve read all the pages in this forum and what was lost on Scout. Thanks for asking the question, and welcome to the forum. This thread is your best resource on the interwebs, so you’ve come to the right place.
I looked at my bolts and realized my Magnum bolt is off center and it shoots in the .3s. I didn’t notice the primer strikes were off center and I’m sure I would have if it wasn’t shooting well.

3ADF7AA4-CDF2-4FF9-B1CF-078B04509717.jpeg

I’m curious now too. Will have to look at my bolts. Not that I care particularly but I am curious.

After looking at fired brass and my bolt heads, all of my conversions seem to be centered.
47CD33A2-D5B9-499E-9BC0-387EC7AA0416.png

^^looks like your 308 bolt is the worst one, not as off as mine though.

Has anyone heard from ES Tactical? I sent emails to Eric and sales account with no replies. Tried to call but says to email.... @ES-Tactical
I too sent an email last week but have not heard back. Eric is a great guy and does awesome work. It’s crazy times right now so I’m sure he just some shit going on and will get back to us.

Just spoke to him and ordered a barrel on Thursday. He has been spending a lot of time in the shop so he may not have heard the phone. And we all know that if he was to be on the computer he would not be able to get any work done.. I would just give him some time to get caught up.

Had a great day practicing barrels, barricades, tank traps and work with the tripod today with no one else around. Went through ~200 rounds today so I also have some reloading work when locked up in the house.

That’ll be me on Tuesday. Sooooo looking forward to it.

How do you like shooting your DT off a tripod?

Reactions: Juggerxxx
That’ll be me on Tuesday. Sooooo looking forward to it.

How do you like shooting your DT off a tripod?
Honestly it’s the only rifle I have ever shot off a tripod so hard to gauge. For me it took some getting used to. I found tightening the ballhead slightly lower than the target gets me to a place where I don’t have to put much force one direction or the other and it’s most table for me. Having the butt pad about sternum height gives me the most stabile accompanied with my left hand on the front of the scope and almost no force on the but pad. I can make it work but I’m much more stable on a barricade or tank trap with a bag. The 223 is perfect for hours of practice at a reasonable price.

Hey all, I wanted to know where the best place is to try and sell a desert tech barrel for a srs a1, I have an extra 6.5 creedmoor barrel that i have no need for and am lost on where to sell it?

I too sent an email last week but have not heard back. Eric is a great guy and does awesome work. It’s crazy times right now so I’m sure he just some shit going on and will get back to us.

Yeah, I've been wanting to order a 300 win mag barrel but I was wanting to know if he had a reamer with a long freebore for heavies like 225gr ELDs. Kind of off putting that I can't get a hold of anyone there but there may be a good reason.

Reactions: Juggerxxx
Been pouring over this thread for weeks. Just got a new A1 with 308 and 223 barrels, and waiting on a 6.5CM to ship from DTA. Had a few questions that I didn't see in the last 200 pages.

-A1 bbl threads are 3/4-20 correct? Can this be turned down to 5/8-24 without cutting the barrel?

-SAC 223 conversion, the mag is really tight (DT mag is fine) will that wear in or do I need to shim the skins?

-How are you guys logging your barrel shifts? Was going to get some extra cold bore pages from Storm and have one for each barrel.