• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Yeah the price of it is the only reason I haven’t bought one. Would love one but keep buying other calibers instead because they only cost me $800-$900 and not $1,700. I hear they shoot great but I already have a 223 that shoots lights out.
Could be useful to have the bolt and conversion without a barrel. Just in case someone wants to try 300 Blackout.

IMG_0874-1.jpeg
Hey guys, wanted to post an update here. Got behind the SRS today to stretch her legs a little. Out to 1020 yards, and she did very well. The Hornady ELDX in .300 win performed better than I expected. I have a 26 inch barrel, and a TBAC Ultra 9, velocities around 3025-3050! The SAC barrel has 170 rounds through it now, it was also 90 or so degrees shooting today. Wind was a non issue, and I found myself overcorrecting for wind quite a few times. A few guys at the range were shocked at how well the Ultra 9 suppressed the .300. It is absurd how quiet the can is and its weight. Great day out at the range. Looking forward to more time behind the rifle this summer.

I am having trouble convincing myself of the benefit of .223 conversion given it's cost vs just continuing to shoot .308, since I don't reload and match ammo is approximately the same price.

I have to say I agree. I love the rifle for the bigger cals that can go somewhere or justify the weight of the thing. If I want a 22 I'll just shoot one the 22LR rifles....for a real rifle I'll go with the 338 Lapua, 6.5X47, 12.7X48, 300 NM or something like that. I know there are a lot of 223 fans out there and I'm glad they have the opportunity to use their SRS rifles with a subcal training round. I just don't need one myself.

Frank

Anyone shooting an A1 with a 22" barrel chambered for 6.5 CM? I'm thinking about having one spun up and looking for input, good or bad, from those with first hand experience. This will be for hunting mainly, using 130 VLD's which I have found to be very effective out of a 26" barrel. Thanks

I’m trying very hard to wait for 300 Norma Lapua brass, but pics like the above is making it really tough.

Mount finally came in, here she is with the new glass on there. Now I need to go out and zero it in. Anyone have advice how to properly zero in the s&b 3-20 ultrashorts? Thanks guys and gals!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20180616_202705.jpg
    MVIMG_20180616_202705.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 224
  • MVIMG_20180616_202753.jpg
    MVIMG_20180616_202753.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 222
Any DTA owners with s&b pm2 5-25x56 scopes - can you confirm that a Spuhr sp-4902 clears the rail?
You can message spuhr, they will recommend the best one mount for it. I emailed them and got a reply in less than a day. Just tell them what rifle and scope and they will help you out.

Reactions: avalanche
Hey guys. For those of you with an SRS A1, can you run short action calibers through a long action mag reliably? I got 7mm-08 barrel from SAC and I want to run some 180 ELD's for shits and giggles to see what I can get, but I will probably seat the bullet out a bit farther than short action mag length. Anybody tried this?

Hey guys. For those of you with an SRS A1, can you run short action calibers through a long action mag reliably? I got 7mm-08 barrel from SAC and I want to run some 180 ELD's for shits and giggles to see what I can get, but I will probably seat the bullet out a bit farther than short action mag length. Anybody tried this?

No, won't work. The feed lips on the magnum mags don't extend far enough foward. The case will release from the feed lips before the tip of the bullet enters the chamber causing the bullet tip to jam against the barrel rim as you try to push the bolt foward. If you need a longer OAL than the standard short action mag gives you will have to get the mag modifie

Took the 300 Norma out to stretch it's legs today. 1st round hits out to 1100 on 1 MOA plates were gravy , managed to go 1 for 4 at 1680 . 225 ELD-M's shot great using the advertised .391 G7 , made it pretty easy considering the very low winds today.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
What brakes are everyone running? I'm not going to be suppressing so don't need a mount option, just looking for a well functioning brake with not crazy blast.

For a 6.5CM srs.

Currently running a HTI in 375CT however the bolt is extremely heavy to lift when dry firing (and live firing but not load related). I've reinstalled the barrel, disassembled the bolt and grease lugs, etc but still get the same result. Any ideas?

Try fitting the bolt to the barrel with it removed from the receiver. If the bolt is tight in the barrel extension something is up and you should send it back to DT. There also could be an issue with alignment in the receiver that is not related to the barrel extension or bolt. If its loose outside the receiver and tight installed it points to different problems. Let us know what its doing exactly.

Frank

Reactions: Juggerxxx
Currently running a HTI in 375CT however the bolt is extremely heavy to lift when dry firing (and live firing but not load related). I've reinstalled the barrel, disassembled the bolt and grease lugs, etc but still get the same result. Any ideas?

I'm assuming you are dropping the barrel in the chassis and then closing the bolt on it to set headspace before locking the barrel and tightening the clamp screws, otherwise you could potentially see some wear on the forward portion of the bolt lugs I'd guess. This could also potentially contribute to your heavy bolt problem if excess pressure is against the lugs either on the forward or rearward sides.

My SRS was pretty stiff when I got it but after about 200 rounds fired plus 200-300 dry cycles at home it softened right up and only gets smoother. Grease at any wear points I saw and cycle time helped it out a lot.

All of my bolts and those of customer guns I work on either fit or they don't. No tight ones that I've seen. I have had a couple issues with older bolts in new extensions due to the small lug on the bottom of the bolt which can sometimes hit the the extension preventing the bolt from going far enough into the extension to fit right. On my Gen 1 bolt this could be a problem when testing barrels for customers in my rifle. In some extensions my 338 Lap bolt would drag a little and others it would prevent the bolt from rotating at all. I carefully took a little off one corner up front and it now fits pretty much all the extensions I've tried. This is not one of the locking lugs that is hitting....its a small piece about .062" wide and .250" long. I think its a guide or something....

Frank

I haven’t been able to shoot my srs in about 2 weeks and I feel I am going through withdrawals.... I don’t have a problem though.... I can quit anytime I want....

Anyone on here from DT that can contact me via PM in regards to this issue?

Are you guys getting your 223s from SAC?

Yes Mark is the man.
I have the 223 kit... only shot it a few times and on this heavy platform it shoots nicely.
Just started shooting hornady polyner coated steel match and it does well. Decent SD and 35 cents a shot. Plan on getting my 3 ladies hooked on this caliber shortly.

Took the 300 Norma out to stretch it's legs today. 1st round hits out to 1100 on 1 MOA plates were gravy , managed to go 1 for 4 at 1680 . 225 ELD-M's shot great using the advertised .391 G7 , made it pretty easy considering the very low winds today.

Nice shooting...where is the barrel from?

I am having trouble convincing myself of the benefit of .223 conversion given it's cost vs just continuing to shoot .308, since I don't reload and match ammo is approximately the same price.

Hornady Match Polyner Coated Steel Ammo is definately about 1/3 the cost of regular ammo.

20180629_145337.jpg

300 Norma keeps on winning! This is 5 215 Hybrids at 100 yards . This barrel and cartridge makes it to easy , everything I've fed it has been easy sub 1/2 MOA, 215s, 225s and 230s , H1000 and Retumbo.

If you're on the fence about a 300 Norma, do it !

Reactions: Juggerxxx
Does anyone know of a after market bolt knob? Mine is starting to spin on the insert. I only have 1435 rounds through it in 5 months. I will contact DTA on Monday to order the original but would like to have an all metal one.

I spoke to Paul , BoltFluter here , proprecisionrifles.com awhile back and told him that the DT bolt knob market was there for the taking. He needs a bolt sent to him to accommodate the threads/length and it's game on . Im simply not in a position to be without my bolt for a few weeks or else I'd have already done it .

Paul has done bolts and barrels for me in the past and his work is 2nd to none.

Yeah mine crapped out within 100 rounds, used Gorilla Glue on the brass insert and Loctite on the threads, that lasted me about 2000 more rounds, then the brass insert snapped trying to remove it from the knob. I bought a M6x1 threaded aluminum ball knob off of Amazon for about $9. Been using it for about 150 rounds now, works great, looks terrible.

I contacted Polished Knob on Facebook, because I heard he has done a few DT bolt knobs, but he said he would get back to me after I sent him the specs, its been nearly a month. Ill message him again.

There has to be other choices out there.

Does anyone know of a after market bolt knob? Mine is starting to spin on the insert. I only have 1435 rounds through it in 5 months. I will contact DTA on Monday to order the original but would like to have an all metal one.
Check out page 176 in the thread??

I’ve been getting some time behind my dtss338 from 6cm to 338lm and it’s been great. Friends run other cans but the 3/4 thread on the dt brakes/barrels work great for me.

1badbarrel I sent him an email again and still no answer. And it is a gen 2 knob.

I believe someone said area 419 makes bolt knobs for the Bergara and it has the same threads. I think it just has to be counterbored if I remember correctly. There was a thread about a week ago

1badbarrel I sent him an email again and still no answer. And it is a gen 2 knob.
I did go with the snipe custom arms gen 2 bolt handles, not sure why they won’t get back with you. Waveslyer has some good info about the thread on the bolt - m6x1 that helps and there’s some custom bolt knobs out there with that thread pitch.

I haven’t been able to shoot my srs in about 2 weeks and I feel I am going through withdrawals.... I don’t have a problem though.... I can quit anytime I want....
Lmao. Got a tracking number for my skins. Should have them back next Thursday. I’ll get a pic with the new grip. Sucks not shooting the last few weeks. Me and the guys we’re heading up to the base of the mountains shooting every weekend for a bit there.

Reactions: onepointsixklicks
Lmao. Got a tracking number for my skins. Should have them back next Thursday. I’ll get a pic with the new grip. Sucks not shooting the last few weeks. Me and the guys we’re heading up to the base of the mountains shooting every weekend for a bit there.

Nice! I am try No to get out once a week right now.

Sometimes I can’t get the SRS out cause I shoot on private property and the fee for shooting there year round is squirrel eradication in the spring. (With a .22) It’s a rough life!

Thank you for sending your skins in. I’m going to go see when an order can be placed with them.

I think I've asked this before but don't know if I ever got a response. Is there a reason DT doesn't offer a 18" 6.5 barrel? I'm looking to go Covert now and saw they only had 308 in 18".

What ballistics would I expect between a 6.5 and a 308 in an 18" barrel? Would I be able to get out to 1000y with either in 18"?

I think I've asked this before but don't know if I ever got a response. Is there a reason DT doesn't offer a 18" 6.5 barrel? I'm looking to go Covert now and saw they only had 308 in 18".

What ballistics would I expect between a 6.5 and a 308 in an 18" barrel? Would I be able to get out to 1000y with either in 18"?

The covert only offers the 308 in 16". I have that barrel and I had a 17" 260 barrel made. The farthest I've had either is 700 yards and they both do good. You can always get with special purpose rifles and get a custom barrel built when you buy the rifle. I think it is about the same price either way unless you go carbon.

You will be able to get out to a 1000 yes. My buddy runs a 18" .308. He uses his DT as his carry weapon on the SWAT Sniper team. So nice and compact . You can get a custom barrel from DMR Rifles for a great price. Do you just want a really fat short rifle? Just caution on what brake you use going that short with the covert.. it could blow some stuff into your glass. Safer with a can on.

Attachments

• 20180308_210618.jpg
    20180308_210618.jpg
    415.3 KB · Views: 237
  • FB_IMG_1530464427582.jpg
    FB_IMG_1530464427582.jpg
    185.5 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Reactions: cro789
You will be able to get out to a 1000 yes. My buddy runs a 18" .308. He uses his DT as his carry weapon on the SWAT Sniper team. So nice and compact . You can get a custom barrel from DMR Rifles for a great price. Do you just want a really fat short rifle? Just caution on what brake you use going that short with the covert.. it could blow some stuff into your glass. Safer with a can on.

Good to hear. I would be using a Surefire can for sure. I was wondering if a 6.5 would provide better ballistics. Specifically why it isn't offered in an 18" is it doesn't perform well in that length? Debating on getting an 18" in carbon fiber. How much weight would that save? Would the recoil be horrible for follow up shots on the lighter shorter carbon fiber barrel?