• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

Did you go with the 1-6.5 twist or 1-7.7 twist barrel?

Pretty much a question for all SAC 223 Kit owners out there, what twist rate are you running? :)
I went with the 7.7 twist and I’m shooting the 73 gr eldm. That’s it in the middle with the can
F35D90BD-7699-4BE1-8301-7C2C0074D231.jpeg

I was looking at an A1 for a while and almost pulled the trigger on one but the weight was just a bit more than I wanted to deal with. At that time there was no proof barrels available and of course the a2 wasn't out. I am also looking at shorter barrel options to get the setup where I want it. I want to get a 300NM and 223 conversion.

A couple things I am going back and forth on is whether to get a A2 covert or A2. It almost looks like you can't reach the bipod cant adjustment from prone if your bipod is all the way forward on the A2?

The other thing is barrel length. If I went A2 I would be getting the 22.5 conversions in both calibers. In the covert I would be looking at the 18" barrels. I think the 18" barrel would be Just fine in the 223 but in the 300NM mag I am not sure If I want to give up that much velocity and I am a little worried about the muzzle blast with a raked muzzle brake.

Has anyone played with short barrels in magnums that can give insight on velocity loss, muzzle blast and complete powder burn?

The 18" in a covert would be a compact little rig

Reactions: John_in_WYO
You can get the Covert and run the 18” 223 and anything between 18” or 30” for the 300 NM. Muzzle blast would be pretty extreme with a braked 18” 300 NM but lots of people have the 18” 338 LM. If you are shooting suppressed most cans are rated to a caliber and then to a barrel length.
I don’t have any experience with magnums in shorter barrels though. All my magnums are 26” +.
What is your intended use for an 18” 300 NM?

Reactions: deersniper
You can get the Covert and run the 18” 223 and anything between 18” or 30” for the 300 NM. Muzzle blast would be pretty extreme with a braked 18” 300 NM but lots of people have the 18” 338 LM. If you are shooting suppressed most cans are rated to a caliber and then to a barrel length.
I don’t have any experience with magnums in shorter barrels though. All my magnums are 26” +.
What is your intended use for an 18” 300 NM?
The Norma would be for mountain backpack hunting. That's the only reason I would go so extremely short on the barrel. I am in Canada so a can is not an option. I think I would likely still get somewhere between 2800-2850fps with a 215 berger in a 18" which would still make it effective on big game at long range. I was thinking maybe even a 20" in the covert, but I would like to get a proof barrel and it looks like they jump from 18" to 22.5". If I go 22.5" (which would be the longest I will go) I think would just go with the longer hand guard of the A2.

I would go 22.5 on the Norma and call it a day. Only 6.5 inches out of the short hand guard. I had one in 27 inch in the srs and it was my favorite round!

I would go 22.5 on the Norma and call it a day. Only 6.5 inches out of the short hand guard. I had one in 27 inch in the srs and it was my favorite round!
I’ve decided I’m going with a 20 inch 6.5 creed in my covert.

I’ve decided I’m going with a 20 inch 6.5 creed in my covert.
If proof made a 20" I think that's what I would do as well, as you mention 6.5" isn't all that much sticking out. Do you find the reach to the bipod on the covert to be similar to a standard rifle or is it closer to the shooter?

I just like it being closer to the end of the barrel. Would be the same as a 26 in on the srs handguard. Yes it’s closer to the shooter as well!

Go with the Covert and do a 16.5” 300 NM with a light hunter profile and report out the results!
You’d be around 12 lbs + scope + mount + ammo, or 11 lbs with the A2 +scope + mount + ammo.

Reactions: Bradu
Go with the Covert and do a 16.5” 300 NM with a light hunter profile and report out the results!
You’d be around 12 lbs + scope + mount + ammo, or 11 lbs with the A2 +scope + mount + ammo.
Really, 11lbs for the a2. There is a post on facebook from special purpose rifle with a a2 covert kahles scope, arc mount and an 18" proof barrel. No mag or mono pod and the Lop spacers are removed and it says it weighs 10lbs as is. If you add 5.6oz for the mono pod and 6.5oz for the mag and 1.6oz for a muzzle brake, that would put you just under or at 11lbs all set up. Or at least that's what I was hoping.

I think 18" would be the shortest I would go and if thats what I do I will report back for sure.

Reactions: PRDRIVER
I don’t have any weights for the Proof CF barrels. I was including the factory 308 barrel as a comparison.
Maybe my calcs were a bit off but my A1 Covert with the 308 factory 16.5” barrel weighs 9 lbs 8 oz (bolt, mag, buttpad); just add ammo and the scope and scope mount.

Take a pound of so off for being an A2, take off the difference in weight for the Proof 300 NM versus the factory 16” 308. add the scope and mount, maybe you are right around that 10 lb mark.

Reactions: BClrh
Waiting for someone to chime in with experience with a factory 18” 338 LM. Can’t see much difference between the two in regards to muzzle blast.

Guy i work with put together a 12” sbr ar10 with a pva muzzle brake against my advice......It was quickly parted out. Called it the misery machine made your face hurt shooting it or being anywhere near it.

I know a number of guys running covert 338LM rifles with 18" barrels. A couple of them in Texas are shooting coyotes at 1000yds successfully. The others are out east here and don't normally shoot that far. Seems to work fine.
As far as covert vs standard length chassis goes, in a covert you can use any barrel made for the rifles. In the SRS you're limited to barrels of 22" or more. Some whine about the bipod being too close to the CG in the covert but its not a problem for most. You must choose.

Frank

I know a number of guys running covert 338LM rifles with 18" barrels. A couple of them in Texas are shooting coyotes at 1000yds successfully. The others are out east here and don't normally shoot that far. Seems to work fine.
As far as covert vs standard length chassis goes, in a covert you can use any barrel made for the rifles. In the SRS you're limited to barrels of 22" or more. Some whine about the bipod being too close to the CG in the covert but its not a problem for most. You must choose.

Frank
Thanks Frank, that's some good real world feedback. Are these guys using muzzle brakes or a can on the barrel?

Brakes, cans or bare, all of the above. I have a can for all my barrels and normally shoot with it on. I don't use brakes. I'll run with nothing before blowing all the crap off the benches next to me. I like to be a good neighbor and in the field it doesn't matter that much. If you shoot much you get used to the recoil and deal with it.

Frank

Waiting for someone to chime in with experience with a factory 18” 338 LM. Can’t see much difference between the two in regards to muzzle blast.
The blast on 300 vs 338 is very slightly higher on the 338. Concussion that is.

Just got a covert chassis. Wanting to go with 18 to 20 inch barrel! What calibers in short action would you suggest. Looking at Creedmore or prc? What’s your thoughts. Long range target and hunting! 1000 to 1200 yds on targets.

For reference, my factory 18" vs my 26" 338 Lapua barrel show roughly 40fps per inch decline in velocity. Please do keep in mind that's a sample size of 1 of each and velocity has the potential to vary wildly from barrel to barrel.

No question muzzle flash is significant with a braked 18" 338. How much that flash effects you is a very individual preference thing... mine quickly became a suppressor only barrel.

Just got a covert chassis. Wanting to go with 18 to 20 inch barrel! What calibers in short action would you suggest. Looking at Creedmore or prc? What’s your thoughts. Long range target and hunting! 1000 to 1200 yds on targets.
I think it would be best to jump up to the 300NM in the 18". I heard somewhere that's a good combo ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Snipe260
If you load your own ammo you can take some pressure off the muzzle blast if you use faster powder .
Just messed around in quickload , it looks like you would lose a little speed but can drop muzzle pressure by 25% and all powder burnt

If you load your own ammo you can take some pressure off the muzzle blast if you use faster powder .
Just messed around in quickload , it looks like you would lose a little speed but can drop muzzle pressure by 25% and all powder burnt
What power was getting a complete burn and what kind of velocity?

Sorry forgot too mention that im in scandinavia so used VV N150 and that had 98% burn rate at just around 3900bar , think it was a little over 80% fill rate , but you would have too make your own calculations and test for what fits your barrel , too fast for my own wich is a 26” .
And sorry for the metric units i dont focus on imperial when i look in quickload

Ahh forgot too mention you might have some powder at approx same burn rate with a higher volune

I traded off my A1 300 Norma about 18 months ago due to the weight and have been regretting it ever since. The more I drool over the A2 the more I want to get back into the DT platform, especially since I started shooting and hunting suppressed.

Is the A2 with a Proof barrel going to be substantially lighter or am I just kidding myself? I personally don't mind the weight but Idaho has a stupid 16 lb limit for legal hunting rifles.

I'll be using a 5-25 ATACR, Atlas and TBAC 338 Ultra. Before you all say to get a lighter scope, it's not happening, love my ATACR.
I love my atacrs too. But I love my 2.5-20 nx8 also and the 4-32s are supposed to be better yet

Anyone have a pic of an covert with the RRS Arca hand guard piece that bolts on the bottom ?

Let me look on my computer tonight, I just took it off the other day. I had to machine an aluminum picatinny rail from Primal rights to fit a bipod.

Received my 223rem conversion from SAC today. The fit and finish of this package is absolutely top notch. I thought they screwed up and didn’t thread my muzzle but it was just the thread protector that was so well machined that you couldn’t even tell there was two different pieces. Packaging was immaculate and everything went together perfect. Now to see if it will print tight groups in two days.

What is that lol I was talking about this. I just ordered one. Should I cancel it

View attachment 7213017

That will fit an A1. However, it mounts will three bolt and for some reason on the Covert Rifles, Desert Tech did not drill and tap one of the screw holes.

The style that we are currently working on will work with the A2 Covert and SRS chassis. We will have a shorter rail like the RRS the will mount on either a Covert or SRS. We will also have full length rails for the Covert and SRS.

• Sad
That will fit an A1. However, it mounts will three bolt and for some reason on the Covert Rifles, Desert Tech did not drill and tap one of the screw holes.

The style that we are currently working on will work with the A2 Covert and SRS chassis. We will have a shorter rail like the RRS the will mount on either a Covert or SRS. We will also have full length rails for the Covert and SRS.
Does your rail fit a a1?

Here is my setup and the rail I modified to work with it. I left it with just two holes, I was going to drill and tap but never messed with it. I figured two would hold it just fine. @deersniper

covert.jpg

covert rail.jpg