• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

9E974037-0629-4642-8C52-388227D411C8.jpeg

Getting my covert put together! Deciding on scope and bipod. Then shipping off for full multicam job to shortbus!

Of course they release the M2 right after I buy the A2

Don't feel too bad. Desert Tech doesn't have plans at this time to release the SRS-M2 for sale to the civilian market. Currently it looks like it's a MIL/LE only rife. And the handguard isn't compatible with the SRS-A2. Other and the top rail and 40 MOA built into the rail it is a SRS-A2.

Reactions: mountainman308
Any of you guys using MDT CKYE POD bipod. Just saw one today and I'm interested in getting it. But like to know which rail system you prefer? Pictures would be helpful

Reactions: Blazin
I use the picitinny. The way it attaches, it's actually faster to move around than the arca mount. It does have more play than the arca mount though.

I use the picitinny. The way it attaches, it's actually faster to move around than the arca mount. It does have more play than the arca mount though.
I'm also using one with a Picatinny rail. No play on mine. I replaced the DT factory rail with a billet aluminum unit from Primal rights. It's a tad wider than the factory rail and fits snug to the bipod mount.

I have been shooting my SRS A1 and Covert set ups for a good while now. When did they release the A2 and what is different from the A1's? Are barrels interchangeable?

It's lighter then the A1 , has some material removed around the action , a better clamping system for the barrels supposedly.

Mlok hand guard which doesn't require special castle nut like the A1 handguard.

Fluted bolts and barrel shank

New trigger - not as adjustable as A1

Mono pod not included

Pic rail is only on the action

Conversion kits interchangeable

The A2 question I will ask is one I asked shortly after its release...

Now that some have more trigger time behind the A2, do you feel the weight savings and handguard QoL changes make it a worthy upgrade over the A1? Or just a better system for those getting into the platform? I love my A1 as it is, but who wouldnt love losing 1-2 lbs from their rifle.

Edit: Im going back to school this fall so I won't be upgrading anytime soon. lol Maybe barrels, but definitely not chassis.

Last edited:
The A1 Trigger is better, IMHO.

I traded to the covert forend for weight purposes when I got the A2. But I have a larger hand than normal and the trigger pull can’t be adjusted on the A2. That kind of sucks. May end up adding a little padding where the web of my hand touches the grip to help trigger pull distance.

Reactions: Edgecrusher
Does someone know the factory barrel profile's measurements? Specifically on a 22".

I have been shooting my SRS A1 and Covert set ups for a good while now. When did they release the A2 and what is different from the A1's? Are barrels interchangeable?

The barrels are interchangeable between the SRS-A2, SRS-A1, and the older Gen 2. I know of people show have purchased the new SRS-A2 chassis and used their conversion kits from the SRS-A1 chassis. Or in my case I have a new conversion kit in my 5 year old Gen 2 SRS. The only chassis that is different as far as compatibility with barrels is the Gen 1 SRS (the original design). And even then it's just a different barrel extension. You could could take off a Gen 1 barrel extension and attach a Gen 2 barrel extension. The would allow the old Gen 1 barrel to be used in the new chassis.

Last edited:
How many times do you think compatibility amongst different DT iterations has been brought up in this 245 page thread? Between barrel extensions and fore ends I’ll bet it’s at least 25. Perhaps we need a sticky within the thread, so the first post on each page is a compatibility chart?

Reactions: 12B.Ryan
How many times do you think compatibility amongst different DT iterations has been brought up in this 245 page thread? Between barrel extensions and fore ends I’ll bet it’s at least 25. Perhaps we need a sticky within the thread, so the first post on each page is a compatibility chart?

It has been brought up too many times. Even though it is kind of understandable with new people coming on. I like the sticky idea or a simple link to a chart that shows all the changes over the different revisions. I'll write something up and see if it makes sense to post on a website or just a simple sticky like you said.

The question about extension/barrel compatibility does get asked a lot but I think it’s normal. I don’t mind answering the question. Not everyone goes through all 200+ pages of a thread prior to buying a Desert Tech rifle like I did. I think every question about our rifles has been addressed in the vast reaches of this forum space.

If I had a 223 conversion I would have a dedicated bolt.

Have a couple questions.

1. Has anyone found a decent soft case besides the DT one? I don’t think I want to spend $300. I have 2 barrels, 2 magazines & 2 bolts.

2. I know someone mentioned a sling that was really good for a heavier rifle. I think it had backpack straps but I can’t find it. Anyone know which it was or want to make a rec for a good sling for the rifle.

Have a couple questions.

1. Has anyone found a decent soft case besides the DT one? I don’t think I want to spend $300. I have 2 barrels, 2 magazines & 2 bolts.

2. I know someone mentioned a sling that was really good for a heavier rifle. I think it had backpack straps but I can’t find it. Anyone know which it was or want to make a rec for a good sling for the rifle.
I only use a hard case for them. I use the TAB gear pinnacle sling. They have the biathlon sling that I think has straps.

Triad Precision Rifle case , holds 3 conversions and plenty of mags with it .
ill show you a layout in the morning

have had mine for 5 years now and no signs of wear and tear . handles the weight perfectly fine

About as much as questions about ring height, trigger adjustment, covert vs recon, and on and on. Nature of an open internet forum. Topics come up over and over again. There will always be those who feel they are fully in the "know" annoyed by questions they feel below their level of investment in said thread or topic. It's been that way since I started here in 2009 and probably every open board on any topic on the web. There is no way around it and it will always be that way. In my estimation it's worth it for open exchange of information. Perhaps a closed DT thread with a 100 question test to qualify for the privilege to ask a question would alleviate the woes of redundancy for the elite:p

Seriously though there is likely not a good solution because I am well indoctrinated having been around here for a long time and using the DT platform for years and still triggered animosity from a few. It's why I spend most of my time shooting and not keeping up with the latest ebb and flow on the Hide and why i didn't even know a new DT generation was even released. Was my post a poor one? Probably. Going to happen again in the next 20 pages? POH 100%. My mistake.

There is a Desert Tech section with tons of good info on the SRS under “resources”, but there’s no real way for someone new to know about it except by chance.

Most of the repetitive questions can be answered there. If you want to truly help someone with basic questions that have been answered many times before, refer them to that. It’s a pretty damn good compilation of information.

Reactions: SNOW JW
I only use a hard case for them. I use the TAB gear pinnacle sling. They have the biathlon sling that I think has straps.
Triad Precision Rifle case , holds 3 conversions and plenty of mags with it .
ill show you a layout in the morning

have had mine for 5 years now and no signs of wear and tear . handles the weight perfectly fine

Awesome guys. That’s exactly what I was looking for.

Hi,
does anyone know who might have some Desert Tech blanks in stock.
Can you also use heavy varmint blanks with their 5" 1.250 parallel ?

Put on a Hoptic USA bullet quiver on my SRSA-1 today. I really like it. Wish it could be a little further back. It’s still an easy reach.
26E81354-4C8C-4C64-A2E7-DADCB14EE5C8.jpeg

Reactions: Edgecrusher
I've never seen DT spec blanks for sale but maybe someone does have them. I buy straight cylindrical blanks of 1.275" diameter or larger so that I can turn the down to exactly 1.25 for the clamping surface. I don't trust most of the center turned blanks to be within the spec of the necessary dimensions for the barrel. It means a little more work for me to turn off all the excess but things work out well in the end. Check with any of the barrel makers and just let them know you must have a minimum finish diameter of 1.250 + 0 -.001 so you need a larger diameter than that for your blank.

Frank

I found this one