• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official (DTA) SRS, HTI, Covert, Hunter Thread

38mm height

Attachments

• 16227731659958645047600227650906.jpg
    16227731659958645047600227650906.jpg
    238.3 KB · Views: 94
Hey, I know this is a long shot (pun intended) but does anyone within an hour and a half drive of Blakely GA/Arena happen to have a couple DT SRS long action magazines I can borrow for the weekend?

I showed up for the Guardian match today and realized I forgot my magazines at home. Big ol’ facepalm.

Anywhere got an ARCA plate for an a1 in stock? (doesn't help that I'm in Australia)
I have a new RRS made for the A1 that I bought years ago when DTA assured me they could get me a GEN2 to A1 forearm which ended up being a lie. PM me we can figure something out.

• Sad
Reactions: M77 and avalanche
I have picked up an extra trigger and couple of extra bolts for my 2 DTA's on here over the years. Bought a parts/screw kit early on. I am my own CS for these rifles and only buy aftermarket barrels.......has worked much better than relying on DT. That said I love the platform.

I like the platform for the most part. I have a gen 2. One of the first coverts. The ejection is lazy with the single ejector bolts and the bolt can be sticky cycling. I've got a handful of barrels. I'd like to pick up a m2 chassis but if they can't get their shit together sometime soon I'm thinking about dumping them all together and going to an mrad or AI.

Awesome setup! DT's look good long or short. Going to put in an order on Monday and get ready to wait for awhile....

So I had my local smith open up the barrel extension to fit my feedramp on my factory 26" DTA conversion 6.5 CM.

It does fit and I took it to the range to shoot some factory and some handloads to establish some kind of a baseline. Group sizes were merely eyeballed CTC using the reticle and the paper 1" squares. As long as I get 1/2" 5 shot or 0.75" 10 shot group at 100 yards and single digits SDs, I'm a happy camper. I'd rather be outside shooting than spend hours developing and tuning loads.

Anyhow, here's some MS3 chrono data.

- Factory Sako 136 Scenar - 2815 FPS, SD9. 3/8 MOA at 100 yards. Verified at 300 yards
- Factory Hornady 147 ELD-M - 2750 FPS, SD10, 1/2 MOA or better at 100 yards. Verified at 300 yards
- Factory FGMM Berger 130 - 2914 FPS, SD 15, 1-1.25 MOA MOA group - I think the barrel was too hot will have to shoot it again.
- Factory Hornady 143 ELD-X - 2720 FPS, 1-1.25 MOA group - Will also need to shoot more. Could have been me. But certainly wasn't impressed with the FGMM and the ELD-X. Worst case I'll just use it for steel and tripod practice and save the brass for reloading.
The Hornady 147 looked the most promising on paper, especially at 300 yards but knowing about the issues with the bullets blowing up, I can't really trust it but it was good to establish an accuracy baseline. Really loved the Sako stuff, might become my goto hunting ammo this fall since I bough a case for a pretty good price before the shortage). I just wish Sako used SRP instead of LRP since I think they use Lapua brass.

Handloads with new Lapua SRP brass that was only primed with CCI 450s, no resize or prep although I was surprised how bad the necks looked, still shot above expectation:
- Lapua SRP 40gr Varget, Scenar 123, 2.790" OAL, 3000 FPS, SD5 - 3/8 moa. Noticeably less recoil than the Hornady 147 ELD-M but even at 3000 FPS in a variable 5-10MPH crosswind it was loosing to the 140s at 300 yards. Still very nice alternative when I run out of H4350.

- Lapua SRP 42.0gr H4350, Berger 140, 2.840" OAL, 1/2 MOA. 2800 FPS SD 12.5

- Lapua SRP 42.5gr H4350, Berger 140, 2.840" OAL, 3/8 MOA or better. 2837 FPS SD 9.8 Verified at 300 yards
- Lapua SRP 42.5gr H4350, Scenar 139, 2.825" OAL, 3/8 MOA or better. 2840FPS SD 5. Verified at 300 yards

No pressure sign at 42.5 H4350 but it wasn't that hot. 15C at 4000' Density altitude

The only real issue I had yesterday was the return to zero. I would shoot couple of strings, barrel would get piping hot, so I would remove it and shoot the SAC 223 kit because it makes a mediocre shooter like me, groups 1/4 moa and build confidence. But then when I put the 6.5 conversion kit back, I was about off by about 0.5 mils both vertically and horizontally, as opposed to the SAC 223 barrel where to return to zero is within 0.1 mil or better, I can't even tell because I'm not a good enough shooter. So I think it could be due to the fact that the barrel extension is probably a wee bit looser so maybe there a method that I could use to minimize the POI, maybe putting some kind of pressure on the barrel while it's seated against the ramp?

Also any suggestion for a cheap fan/barrel cooling device to cool down the barrel once it's out of the rifle, ideally something that uses a USB battery or 18650.

And finally, if I had a time machine, I would have bought from SAC, or Special Purpose rifle or Primal Right and get a heavier contour than the factory. I'll probably go with a Krieger or Bartlein heavy varmint when I rebarrel next time although I'm satisfied with the factory DTA conv kit, just not with the company.

Recently bought an SRSA2 covert with a new 338 lapua kit (26inch).

I currently am looking to grab a 308 conversion kit, but wasn't sure which length of barrel I should go for 16/18/20/22/26?

I used to have an SRSA1 with a 20" .308 barrel and InSite heathen muzzle brake which shot amazingly well.

Had a 26" SRSA2 barrel on a previous SRSA2 that shot well, but not as well as the SRSA1 20" barrel.

Let me know your thoughts.

I currently am looking to grab a 308 conversion kit, but wasn't sure which length of barrel I should go for 16/18/20/22/26?

I used to have an SRSA1 with a 20" .308 barrel and InSite heathen muzzle brake which shot amazingly well.

Had a 26" SRSA2 barrel on a previous SRSA2 that shot well, but not as well as the SRSA1 20" barrel.

Since ya already have 26in 338 long range HAMMER, I’d go full blown covert intentions and get a 16” 308, but I’m a sucker for short overall length guns. Furthest I have access to shoot is 1k yds and the shorter barrels and slower MV’s make it fun. Not to mention a 16” covert barrel with a damn near flush silencer gives me a hard on

16” 308 and go with a 1/8 twist for subsonic.
2450 FPS out of a 175 TMK (or Berger 185 juggernaut or hybrid) will get you to 1000 yards easy. And shooting long range subsonic (300-400 yards) is just so much fun and very challenging if you handload. Theres also the 208 eld-m RL17 combo that will might give you an interesting load but I find it little heavy on the recoil. There’s still an old thread about the 208 Amax and RL17 on the hide. But yeah DTA Covert goes with a 16” 308. No doubt.

I’ve got a 20 inch 6.5 CM barrel on mine. Even with a full size can the rifle is still very handy and capable out to 1200 yards. I’ve even got it out to a mile before, though I admit that was truly pushing the limits of my setup.

I would consider a 22” factory. You can find one used for $700 easy. I have a 16” but run it suppressed.

@Relja one thing that hasn't been mentioned is that, if you go shorter than 22 inches, it limits who you can resell to and/or how you can retrofit your chassis. If the barrel is any shorter, the muzzle starts to fall inside the handguard on the standard length handguard.

Reactions: 65x55guy
Thanks for all of the replies. I currently have the covert handguard, but will have the full length as well.

Yes however you won’t be able to get a 100yd zero. Tried this combo and ended up with their 20 moa mount recommended by cs tactical

I'm running a 30MOA mount, I'm able to zero at 100 yards. 55 MOA might be a lot. What caliber or conversion kit are you running

Thanks guys. Apart from some initial load development I don't really plan on shooting it inside of 600yds, so a not having a 100yd zero isn't a deal breaker for me if it will physically clear the handguard.

Had my first match over the weekend since a year ago with all these lockdowns and crap.Match started at 600 and to my luck I had an extra 0.7 mil of wind zeroed on my scope. Basically zeroed my 600 serials and walked it in enough to do half decent from 500 onwards. First time running the 6.5 cr in a match , bloody loved it . New LEOFOTO tripod was fucken solid aswell
20210620_150132.jpg

20210620_145036.jpg

Had my first match over the weekend since a year ago with all these lockdowns and crap.Match started at 600 and to my luck I had an extra 0.7 mil of wind zeroed on my scope. Basically zeroed my 600 serials and walked it in enough to do half decent from 500 onwards. First time running the 6.5 cr in a match , bloody loved it . New LEOFOTO tripod was fucken solid aswell
View attachment 7654545
View attachment 7654543

M77, whats the little backpack? Looks like a nice small rig for a day of shooting. Not overly big, which means less weight.

Deano

M77, whats the little backpack? Looks like a nice small rig for a day of shooting. Not overly big, which means less weight.

Deano

Unless it's a specific brand you're looking for, just look up "small 30L rucksack", and you should be able to find them on Amazon. I bought one years ago at the local military surplus store for about $30. I've used mine for single day field matches, where all I need to carry is ammo, binos, Kestrel, and some other small things. Camelback goes in its own little, lightweight pack and the ruck goes over it while I'm moving to the next stage

For those who are running a Desert Tech Aftershock brake, is it a pretty decent brake compared to the top brakes out right now?

I am going to have to trim the nub off the top rail. 22" barrel fits but the suppressor will not.

I'm not sure why they thought that was a good idea.
I feel like this should be some sort of “barrel length” joke! But I agree, you would think that they would have left enough room for a can.

I feel like this should be some sort of “barrel length” joke! But I agree, you would think that they would have left enough room for a can.
All the preproduction photos show a flush fit rail. Im kinda wondering if someone just flubbed a number somewhere and they decided to try and make it work.

Reactions: Mr. Z
Took my SRS A2 in 338 lapua with desert tech muzzle brake (the one that came with the conversion kit) and I could definitely feel the shots. Anyone have any recommendations on a different muzzle brake or is it just due to the lightness of the rifle?

Took my SRS A2 in 338 lapua with desert tech muzzle brake (the one that came with the conversion kit) and I could definitely feel the shots. Anyone have any recommendations on a different muzzle brake or is it just due to the lightness of the rifle?
Little bastard or Fat bastard is what inwould recommend

Insite arms heathen 5 ports 1.125

Reactions: M77
My rifle bag/shooting mat is beginning to become unserviceable. What do you all use for a rifle bag? I know DT has one, but I’ve never seen it in person to verify quality. Also considering Eberlystock (sp?) rifle packs, but I don’t know if they will fit a non traditional rifle profile like the SRS.

My rifle bag/shooting mat is beginning to become unserviceable. What do you all use for a rifle bag? I know DT has one, but I’ve never seen it in person to verify quality. Also considering Eberlystock (sp?) rifle packs, but I don’t know if they will fit a non traditional rifle profile like the SRS.
TacOps Drag Bag for me!

I’ve used the gunslinger 2 and it worked perfect!