• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Older atlas bipod repair

robpiat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2007
Roswell, GA
I’ve got a previous generation atlas bipod, maybe v7, which is before they switched to the buttons.

the spring tension which locks the legs seems to have declined despite not using it a lot and certainly not they way a serious user would. I called them and they offered a discounted new one for a trade but don’t think it’s repairable.
Upon closer inspection, it looks like there is a blind roll pin in there as a spring retainer which kinda seems like a dumb idea for something that is a wear item. Perhaps that’s one reason they switched the design.

I like this style. I have both. I’d like to figure it out. Is the only hope to remove the leg and reinsert a new spring from the bottom then pray it back together?

Attachments

• 34B36894-200E-4D31-80A2-D71A51AF4165.jpeg
    34B36894-200E-4D31-80A2-D71A51AF4165.jpeg
    348 KB · Views: 91
  • FDF22ADA-B87A-4FAA-B551-13DCF92629AE.jpeg
    FDF22ADA-B87A-4FAA-B551-13DCF92629AE.jpeg
    360.9 KB · Views: 77
Last edited:
I had one of the originals with the aluminum locking block. Eventually the corners rounded off and the legs would collapse during firing. They replaced it after 11 years with a new V8.

Reactions: camocorvette
My original is failing as well, but not totally collapsed yet. So sounds like the trick is to keep using it until it collapses ?? :D Then they will replace it !!

I keep sayin' I'm gonna replace it, but haven't yet.

I need a total of 4, have 1 good one (newer) and the original. Maybe I'll call them and see if we can make a deal :)

It’s irritating to me not because I expect it to last forever but I do expect it to be serviceable even if not warranty. I’m trying to figure out how you could compress a new spring in there and install the leg screw. I suppose I could try to extract the roll pin but who knows how that would go. Mines not rounded at all. Pretty sharp detents.

@Kasey

I’ve only had to use their CS once but man was it great. I’ve only heard good stuff from anyone who has ever dealt with them FWIW.

Worst case you can drill out the blind pin hole and make it a through hole. If you're careful you could use the through hole in the roll pin as a drill guide for a pilot hole coming out and then step up just enough to drive out the old pin.
Not ideal, but if you want to repair rather than replace...

Thank you for your patronage and desire to keep using what you got!

The thought behind having a blind hole for a 1/16 roll pin was it cut the chances of it coming out in half. Why a 1/16 roll pin? smallest and lightest and least expensive way to retain that spring as the goal was to build a truly lightweight full-featured bipod. In assembly the 1/16 pin is pressed in, the spring is inserted then the Leg Bolt goes into slot and the spring is engaged and retained. If for some reason that pin needed removed, it was sacrificed in removal with needle nose pliers as those pins are inexpensive.
Please keep in mind I barely made it out of highschool and have zero training in engineering, the V7 you have was my first project with CATIA. Which is to say I had no idea of what I was doing!

B&T does do exchanges 1/2 retail for old towards a new as we no longer have those parts, that would be your option here. I apologize in advance as I understand by you post you want to keep the V7.

Thank you for your patronage and desire to keep using what you got!

The thought behind having a blind hole for a 1/16 roll pin was it cut the chances of it coming out in half. Why a 1/16 roll pin? smallest and lightest and least expensive way to retain that spring as the goal was to build a truly lightweight full-featured bipod. In assembly the 1/16 pin is pressed in, the spring is inserted then the Leg Bolt goes into slot and the spring is engaged and retained. If for some reason that pin needed removed, it was sacrificed in removal with needle nose pliers as those pins are inexpensive.
Please keep in mind I barely made it out of highschool and have zero training in engineering, the V7 you have was my first project with CATIA. Which is to say I had no idea of what I was doing!

B&T does do exchanges 1/2 retail for old towards a new as we no longer have those parts, that would be your option here. I apologize in advance as I understand by you post you want to keep the V7.
Kasey,

Thanks for responding. I don't want to take it apart without a plan. As I said, overall the bipod and detent surfaces are in great shape. Can you describe how you engage / retain the spring on reassembly? Do you simply put a punch in from the back as a slave pin and install the screw? I'll find a spring that'll work.

My pleasure! I sincerely appreciate you taking a chance on the Atlas at such a early stage.
"Do you simply put a punch in from the back as a slave pin and install the screw?" Yes that was the process. I'm not sure which thread locker we used back then, might need to heat the Leg Bolt....