• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

One More rifle lost by USPS

Jmilera

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2012
Texas
Well gents I would of had some great pics to show you all, but our USPS managed to lose my new safari rifle. what sucks the most is that this rifle belonged to my late grandfather, and was going to be passed on to my children. It is somewhere in South Dakota, so if any of you gents see a 7mm rem mag on a controled round feed winchester action with tally rings and the name Celeste engraved on the extractor please email me.
Thanks
Joe
PS I wanted to thank my gunsmith as well for making every possible effort, and as a result has become hated by the USPS for fighting on behalf of me. I will be sending two more projects this week, but via Fed EX

Jmilera,

That's terrible. You always have to wonder about lost firearms. It's not as though they're
tiny items (like pens and socks) that can fall into a crack. I now pay extra and ship all
my firearms via FedEx. I know they're not perfect either, but I like my chances better.

Sorry about your loss and I feel bad for your kids who won't be inheriting their
grandfather's rifle.

Wow. Sorry to hear this. The point about falling between the cracks is right on. I've always wondered how exactly a package gets "lost". Sad.

My Federal Xpress driver delivered my rifle to the wrong house also.. luckily he told me and the police where he delivered it to.
The man was arrested but never said what he did with my rifle and suppressor. George at GA Precision was great and replace it very quickly.
Good Luck

Well gents I would of had some great pics to show you all, but our USPS managed to lose my new safari rifle. what sucks the most is that this rifle belonged to my late grandfather, and was going to be passed on to my children. It is somewhere in South Dakota, so if any of you gents see a 7mm rem mag on a controled round feed winchester action with tally rings and the name Celeste engraved on the extractor please email me.
Thanks
Joe
PS I wanted to thank my gunsmith as well for making every possible effort, and as a result has become hated by the USPS for fighting on behalf of me. I will be sending two more projects this week, but via Fed EX

Wow. Sorry to hear this. The point about falling between the cracks is right on. I've always wondered how exactly a package gets "lost". Sad.

im sorry to hear that I also had a bad experience with them a few months ago. I sent a custom barrel back to the manufacter via usps. it took 6 weeks for the box to arrive , when it did there was no barrel in it. and hasn't been seen since. bad part was I didn't insure it. the lady at my local post office was helpful but the rest of them not so. good luck

Thanks
Joe

any idea where are in Sd know some people who work for usps maybe I can help

i've never had any other package lost but packages containing firearms, UPS has lost three insured packages containing AR lowers or complete uppers from me.

I didn't know you could ship rifles via USPS? I try to avoid them at all costs. They are federal employees, so I'm not surprised that shit gets lost.

Sorry to hear about your loss brother. Worst parting being the family legacy behind it. Hope it shows up.

I always worry when I send things, just not like it used to be. I always take the gun apart and put in the smallest box it will fit and then don't put the shop name on it, but the owner or person that works there I'm sending it too. Try to do everything to detract attention that it's a firearm or going to a gunsmith/gun shop.

Honestly..... How does anyone just lose a rifle. Its got to go somewhere... Not like a small item or anything. Some things you cant replace, but was it insured?

Thanks
Joe

Sorry to hear about that. Some years back, UPS lost a GAP rifle I sold to another hide member, I was surprised how fast things progressed when I got the local police involved considering it was a firearm, it ended up in a locker at the local UPS hub. One can only speculate who stole the rifle, but if you haven't already, get the local police involved where the package was last tracked to.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear about your family heirloom going missing.

I don't ship anything valuable through USPS anymore.
I've read that getting them to make good on insurance is an exercise in futility.

Joe

Jmilera,

Is this a done deal already, or is the USPS still looking for your rifle? I'd say not to give up hope just yet, I've had things delivered to me way past the projected arrival date. Either way, sorry to hear about all the trouble this has caused you. Hope you get that rifle back into your possession soon.

Lost rifle

Jmilera,

Is this a done deal already, or is the USPS still looking for your rifle? I'd say not to give up hope just yet, I've had things delivered to me way past the projected arrival date. Either way, sorry to hear about all the trouble this has caused you. Hope you get that rifle back into your possession soon.

Sorry for the late replies, I picked up a flight in the morning. The USPS is still investigating gents. Hopefully, it will turn up. If not my gunsmith assured he would replace the rifle since it was insured by him. Although it does suck balls that it was my grandfathers.
Thanks again for the replies
Joe M

I've had pretty good results with USPS and the one time something got lost it was the fault of the shipper not using enough packing material in a poor box. USPS paid off on the claim though it took 60 days before they'd declare it lost. They paid up immediately after that. On the other hand UPS has lost a few and refused to pay the insurance. They tend to toss signature required packages on my shop step with no sig so I won't use them. Fed Ex hasn't lost anything but I've not used them much since the closest drop off is 25 miles away.
Good luck and don't give up. Sometimes things get routed funny and show up late. If it didn't go registered than that can be a problem too. I ship USPS registered mail for almost everything. You can ship long guns through the mail to dealers/manufacturers and they can return direct to you. You cannot ship USPS over state lines to individuals and you cannot ship handguns or concealable firearms unless you are shipping dealer to dealer.(manufacturer is the same as dealer for this).

Frank

Should of sent it next day air fed ex. if it was that important. Those items go through different chain of custody. Go to local post office and look who works in back amazing anything makes it to final address.

The "ONLY" things I have had lost in the mail have been firearm related......weird!!!!

I own a pack and ship store in texas, and we ship thousands of packages yearly. the ONLY things we ship usps are items that aren't really worth much. if you look at usps track record they actually only pay about 25% of their claims. ups and fed ex are very good about higher value items if you know how to use them correctly. that includes correct packaging, knowing how to use the claims process, and making sure you get insurance, and an adult signature on delivery. I see about 1% of ups and fed ex packages lost and out of that 1%, I have found 80% of them...but you have to know how to work the system...

I own a pack and ship store in texas, and we ship thousands of packages yearly. the ONLY things we ship usps are items that aren't really worth much. if you look at usps track record they actually only pay about 25% of their claims. ups and fed ex are very good about higher value items if you know how to use them correctly. that includes correct packaging, knowing how to use the claims process, and making sure you get insurance, and an adult signature on delivery. I see about 1% of ups and fed ex packages lost and out of that 1%, I have found 80% of them...but you have to know how to work the system...

This.

I ship computers, almost daily...~ We shipped @ 230 last year.

I only use UPS at this point...Over-pack now with custom made-foams...

I've lost 2 PC's ever and they were with USPS. One was insured for $4,500...The other at $5,000. ~ The $4,500 claim is still under "investigation", 1.2 years later...They "found" the $5,000 PC after my lawyer went at it for a few weeks.

UPS isn't that great about claims, either; but, once you know how to work their system and make a few calls, UPS has things sorted.

Just waiting for 1 part in that PC to be registered and I'm calling the local PD, the next day...All evidence, in hand.

Hope they find it for you! I have a package lost by UPS at the moment and they have initiated an "investigation." The first question was "is it insured?" They answer is of course "yes" but it really made me revisit an initial query, why the heck should we have to pay to insure them to do their job correct in the first place?

Lost Rifle

Sorry to hear about the loss or your grandfathers rifle. I just had a POF P-308 shipped to me and was nervous the entire time.

Joe, sorry for the loss of that rifle and I hope it turns up for you.

Frankly, with today's technology I am not sure how a company loses a package unless their control measures are not adhered to. I was looking at my records from a few years ago and I lost over $2k in packages shipped through USPS in one year. That got me looking at my regular mail and I realized, on a weekly basis, I had multiple cases of letters, bills, etc, belonging to others, being delivered to me. I used to drive around and try to deliver them. In my efforts I heard multiple times how USPS misdelivers even the simplest things.

Most recently I had 5k bullets being delivered and they got sent in 5 seperate flat rate boxes. USPS said that at least 1 of the boxes would have been delivered if the shipper had indeed shipped them. The vendor was gracious enough to reship the order at no charge to me.

6 weeks after the initial shipment went missing I got a nice hand written note from a very sweet neighbor saying she had been trying to get the post office to pick up 5 miss delivered packages. After much frustration on her part, with USPS, she got some help from a local kid (the boxes were too heavy for her) and dropped the packages off at USPS and left a note in my mail box.

Of course when I got to the post office the red faced manager said that sort of thing never happens and that they would 'make a big exception and hand deliver them to my doorstep today'. What I said was 'thanks' but what I wanted to say was 'Really?!?!?!!?! Thats your "A" game? Thats what you are going to hang your reputation on? Thats what you do when your processes break? When your control measures break? When your people dont care enough to do even a below average job? When you dont own up to the mistake?"

And then when I see those stupid ads on TV about how the Post Office needs more money I lose it. More money isnt going to fix your lack of caring, lack of professionalism, your self serving 'give me more' attitude and the ubridled enjoyment you get from basking in the warm glow of mediocrity.

Sorry Joe. I didn't mean to hijack your thread and I really hope you get your rifle back. I see this happen too often so, I for one, dont elect to use USPS any more. Not because they make mistakes but because they dont care enough to care when they do.

Hey Joe,

Let me know via PM if you need someone to meet with the Post Master in person. I live near Sioux Falls which could possibly be your best point of contact. I'll need all of the shipping info, but I'd be happy to help.

USPS makes some interesting mistakes, but they employ human beings, so what are you going to do?

I shipped a Scottish Dirk back to the maker in Scotland, and asked USPS about insurance. The clerk at the counter sold me $800 worth of insurance, and I kept the receipt and all documentation. I even paid extra for the adult signature to verify delivery. I never got anything showing that my package was delivered, so I went to the post office, and spoke with the postmaster.

I told them that I would like to either receive the verification of delivery, or file the claim for the $800 in insurance. Postmaster told me that they can't get signatures on overseas delivery because they have no control over another country's postal system. I said that all makes sense, except that your clerk sold me the verification. So then I asked about the insurance. The postmaster said that they don't sell insurance on overseas deliveries for the same reason. I said "They sold me some, and here is the receipt showing that your clerk sold me $800 worth of insurance. He was obviously upset with the clerk who sold two items that they shouldn't have. Then I said, as the services I paid for were not delivered, and in fact weren't even supposed to be sold to me, can I at least get my money back? Postage, insurance, and signature fee were all refunded. About two weeks later, the shop in Scotland told me the Dirk finally arrived.

Ok guys. With all the problems with shipping, what is the best way to ship your firearms/parts?

I ship UPS, insured for 10% more than the item is worth and list them as 'sporting goods'. That seems to work the best for me(both sending and receiving).

Unknown, I want to think USPS just has a few employees that make mistakes based on human error. Unfortunately, I run into too many times when USPS makes avoidable 'mistakes' and then dont follow up on resolution. I am happy it worked out for you with your overseas shipment.

Try USPS....REGISTERED!!! next time. Better security and after $1000, BY FAR the cheapest insurance going.

I am very sorry to hear of the loss of a family heirloom. Hopefully it shows up in good shape soon. I have had good luck with USPS on shipping many guns, but I always sweat it. I send priority with track and insurance and take photos at all stages of packing and photos of the gun and labels at the counter. I have heard of lots of stolen stuff from UPS and Fedex too. USPS tampering is a Fed offense even for an employee, but their are no doubt skunks working for the USPS that is for sure.

Try USPS....REGISTERED!!! next time. Better security and after $1000, BY FAR the cheapest insurance going.

scout is right. usps registered is what they send the hope diamond with and how you ship dead folks. it has 100% chain of custody tracking. it is a bit expensive though...

scout is right. usps registered is what they send the hope diamond with and how you ship dead folks. it has 100% chain of custody tracking. it is a bit expensive though...

Actually, registered with insurance is WAY cheaper than priority with insurance, with anything worth more than $1000. The shipping w/o insurance is the same as priority. I think you are confusing certified...which is expensive.

I quit using usps after a Nightforce scope was stuck in St Louis for 16 days. After a few trips to the post office I found out that they didn't give a shit and that their tracking system is worthless. They couldn't tell me anything and that it must have been going around on the conveyor the entire time.

I quit using usps after a Nightforce scope was stuck in St Louis for 16 days. After a few trips to the post office I found out that they didn't give a shit and that their tracking system is worthless. They couldn't tell me anything and that it must have been going around on the conveyor the entire time.

Thanks for the help gents. fortunately ,my smith is handling it. I apppreciate all the offers .
Joe M

When I shipped a rifle to GAP, only weapon I've ever shipped, the post master said I had to ship it overnight registered. It was a small rural post office so maybe she was just looking out for me but it was said in a way that made me think it was protocol for rifle shipments from an individual.
On another note though that is a bummer for you. I really hope it gets sorted out and you get your heirloom back. It'd be driving me batshit.

USPS no matter what happens is the only one with federal law enforcement officers on staff to open up an investigation and to charge individuals. UPS and FEDEX zero on staff. Anymore it is better to register, insure and if you have a little extra cash rent a GPS tracker to accompany the shipment.

A friend of mine is a high up at FedEx. They lose or damage .05% of all packages. That's 1 out of 200 for those of you that can't do the math. I'd imagine that is just an industry standard. It's worth it to pay the 1% insurance although you can never replace centemental value. That sucks about your rifle OP.

FedEx has been perfect for me for many years. UPS is hit & miss and USPS is my last choice.

I got a large package delivered UPS and the oversize shipping container had a core charge so I needed to return it. I took it to my local UPS office and they refused to ship it. They said it was too big and they could not ship it..... yet they delivered it.
I got a FedEx account that day and returned it. It was the last time I used UPS over 10 years ago. Idiots.

don't put the shop name on it, but the owner or person that works there I'm sending it too. Try to do everything to detract attention that it's a firearm or going to a gunsmith/gun shop.

This is one piece of advice that I will never forget!
icon14.png

Several years ago some buddies and i were planning a bear hunt in Maine with pistols (contenders). Not wanting to drive through the wonderful states of New York and Mass. with pistols, I broke down the contenders in pieces and placed them in a large attache and marked them "machined parts" and insured the hell out of them and sent them to the outfitter by UPS. It's a shame to live in a country where you have to be deceitful just to survive!!!

Your story hurts. Every time I ship guns I worry about them while in transit. I recommend you watch Gunbroker for it, but in the meantime you might consider entering the gun's info in this database: HotGunz Stolen Gun Search

Good luck.

I ship everything USPS, but insure it for full value which requires a signature. Now that doesn't ensure it wont vanish before it makes it to the destination, but that's what the insurance is for. I have had UPS loose a rifle (which the police found on UPS property) and a high dollar scope which was never found, but I have yet to have a problem with USPS, go figure. I would hope you could contact the state were the rifle was lost and they may be able to flag it, maybe they can locate it if it hits there database for a sale/transfer.

After losing some "replaceable" items I now pack everything like they are going to mistreat it for sure. Take pictures of everything prior to packing and then after packing as well. You can't have too much evidence when it comes time to file that claim. I am a big over-insurer as well.....I like to do about 10-20% over what I estimate the value to be.

A friend of mine is a high up at FedEx. They lose or damage .05% of all packages. That's 1 out of 200 for those of you that can't do the math. I'd imagine that is just an industry standard. It's worth it to pay the 1% insurance although you can never replace centemental value. That sucks about your rifle OP.

I can do math...

.05% = 1/2000

If I remember correctly for insurance to work you'd need to have copy of the sales receipt. Kind of hard when dealing with items that were bought years ago.

The entire next day service required for handguns was self imposed by UPS due to internal losses (theft) of handguns / small packages. That mindset of just getting it thru faster so no one steals it does not really address the problem. I am no fan of the USPS but they are as hit & miss as FedEx and big brown.