• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Online ordering

alan98

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 11, 2008
Pennsylvania
Just got a call from my CC company. Apparently someone got my CC number and made a 295.00 purchase to some travel company. They froze the account and said it will be reimbursed. Computer antivirus software is current. Just wondering if this has happened to any others often?

I mostly just order shooting supplies from reputable companies, but you never know with the internet what could have happened. Isn't there a card or something you can preload to make a purchase then just put more funds on it before you use it again?

Just tryin' to be safe,

Alan

Re: Online ordering

Even reputable online businesses have holes in their systems.
That, and the fact that crooks IT employees work for reputable companies too.

There are many, many ways this could have happened.

Rule out your own system by running a full scan with Malwarebytes. Antivirus software doesn't always catch everything these days.

Right now, I like Microsoft Security Essentials for virus and malware protection, but it's not foolproof either.

Other common means of CC theft occur with wait staff in restaurants, people looking over your shoulder at checkout, compromised databases, etc.

If your computer is clean, it will be just about impossible for them to pinpoint where and how your card was picked. They'll just throw it in the pile and issue another one.

It's a BIG pile.

Not likely on your computer but all the same, grab microsoft's "Autoruns" and "Process Explorer" and you can go see if anything funky is running - I can usually debug a computer virus with just those two and then use an AV to scan teh drive and clean it.

However, likely it could be that the credit card processing company got hacked - they always do, mine came up on a hit list once, never used but came up.

I have had this happen twice this year. Once my info was stolen from tad gear's database ( they emailed a month later to notify). The second time I have no idea how it happened. I suspect it was a restaurant.

Our online shopping cart doesn't store any of your info except the last 4 digits and transaction codes. We don't keep anyone’s CC info on file.