• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optic for 500 YD with 556

Dotonthehill

Private
Minuteman
Oct 15, 2023
Mid south Kentucky
Evening! I am working on a semi budget 556 build. Anderson lower/ upper 20”, magpul bipod, CAA SRS monopod stock. I’ve got a rickety Amazon illuminated 3-9 on it now. What would be the best preferably sub $500 scope and 5.56-.223 round for 500 yards? Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_3710.jpeg
    IMG_3710.jpeg
    433.1 KB · Views: 62

IMO, the PST II would be where I would start. You'll never regret a decent optic but will regret a cheap optic. The 3-15 mentioned is a good place to start. The 2.5-10 is also a good size but more specialized. They are heavy pigs though....

I will run only a 0 MOA mount on my AR's as my optics adjustments allow all I need for the given range I plan to use them at. You'll note that many (all?) of the better mounts come in either 0 or 20 MOA. A cheap mount will not do you any favors. I'd start at the Vortex Sport I think they call it.

I'd check out the Brownells one piece mount before getting the Vortex Sport mount. I have both and the Brownells mount is head and shoulders above the Vortex mount. It's Made In USA vs China, better attachment to the upper receiver, and cheaper than the Vortex mount.

Like I said, I've run both and both work but the Brownells mount is the better value.

Reactions: simonp
I'd check out the Brownells one piece mount before getting the Vortex Sport mount. I have both and the Brownells mount is head and shoulders above the Vortex mount. It's Made In USA vs China, better attachment to the upper receiver, and cheaper than the Vortex mount.

Like I said, I've run both and both work but the Brownells mount is the better value.
That does look better than the Vortex Sport. I don't usually look too hard at these mounts. Just trying to give the OP an idea within a budget and your suggestion was a good one.

I kind of lucked into it on a package deal from Brownells with a Vortex PST II 1-6 and I've been really happy with it.

The Sport mount is ok, it's always held zero and never shifted or shot loose but the attachment to the rail was always a bit hokey. It never failed that even when all of the screws were loosened up, the rail grabber wouldn't just sit loose so I could pop it off, I'd almost have to take the whole grabber off. I keep it as a back up now.

I have one and really like it for the price point. And this one comes with a decent mount.

You’ll have dough left over for some ammo.

I’ve got this on my AR10 and while I love it, 500yds was tough for me given the reticle. 300yds was fun though.

I’ve take my Athlon Helos 2-12 put to 500 with better success.

But for $500, it may be hard to beat the PST II. Unless you find something used.

OP,
For a little more you could buy my Steiner P4xi 4-16

Reactions: Bakwa
You can usually find some XTRII around 500. There is a Weaver 3-15x50 illuminated tactical on eBay right now around that too.

I picked up one of these, albeit with a different reticle.
$1200 was hopelessly optimistic, but for $499 I'm impressed. Glass is pretty good at that price, turrets are tactile BUT there's only about 20 mil of elevation. That might be a sticking point for some.
Brownells sell the same scope as the MPO
It's been on my Howa 308 for a couple of hundred rounds without issue, though some have reported issues with theirs.

I'm running a pst gen2 3x15 I got on close out from euro optic I think it was 549 .00 I have it on an 18 inch Ar15 and think it's pretty nice for the money spent . It's not to heavy has 10 mils per revolution and a nice reticle . It will get you a long way past 500 yds .

Great piece for the money. I got 2 of them. 1 on my 14.5" recce, and 1 on my 7mm Mauser.

I can hit with the recce at 500 with it, (center of mass type accuracy) but I'm not "small group" accurate with it.
Not enough of them there manifications to my liking if I'm shooting at distances like 500 yds, and want to be "3rd button down" precise.

On my 20" SPR I put a PA GLX 4-16x50 FFP. It was a bit over your $500 budget, but it's not prohibitively (Night Force) costly by any means.