• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Optimal Twist for 6.5 Creedmoor

daved

Minuteman
Mar 28, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
After several months of considering 260 Rem vs 6.5 Creedmoor for my 6.5 build, I've decided to go with the Creed. On reviewing past threads regarding twist rate for 6.5, I've found most of the comments are from 260 Rem shooters probably due to its longer availability and popularity.

I'd appreciate any thoughts on the optimal twist for the 6.5 Creedmoor, specifically 24" barrel and 139-142 grain bullets.

Thanks,

Dave

(APOLOGIES TO THOSE WHO RESPONDED TO MY OP WHICH WAS DUPLICATED. IN ATTEMPTING TO DELETE ONE OF THE DUPLICATES, I ENDED UP DELETING THE THREAD. D-O-OH!!!!)

1:8 or 1:8.5
Sorry, I should have been more specific - I'm trying to decide which of these two is "better". There seems to be a preponderance of folks using 1:8 but I've not been able to find a reason it would be better. Maybe herd instinct:D

I use a 1:8" 26" Bartlein...loves the heavy pills but shoots the lighter ones just fine.
If you can't make up your mind.... Have a barrel cut with 1:8.25" twist and be done with it.

Last edited:
As owner of two 6.5CM and one 260 Remington I can tell you it should only be 1 in 8.
You will love the 6.5CM. I have enjoyed unbelievable accuracy and can easily bang 1000 yard steel dead center with 8.5 mils elevation using the 142 SMK at just over 2800 FPS.

I use a 1:8" 26" Bartline...loves the heavy pills but shoots the lighter ones just fine.
If you can't make up your mind.... Have a barrel cut with 1:8.25" twist and be done with it.

Actually, GAP does that - their 6.5 Creeds are 8.2. Unfortunately, I don't have the luxury of having a barrel cut with a custom twist - have to go with what's in stock at the dealers. Something to consider when it's time to re-barrel, though--

Go 8 twist. Will work fine.

I have a build on order with GAP right now they suggested 8.2, I figure they know their stuff the 6.5 creedmoor is going to be completely new to me.

Last edited:
I have a 1:8 twist 24" Bartlein and I am extremely happy with it. It loves Hornady 140gr Amax.

I had my M-70 rebarreld by GAP. I had a 1:8 in mind but they had 1:8.2 in stock and said that it was perfect for the 260/6.5 CM. I certainly wasnt about to argue with the experts. Shoots lights out so I have no complaints.

I have Rock, Shilen and Criterion 6.5mm barrels, all 8 twist and they all shoot the 140 bullets extremely well.

My 8 twist Rock bbl, 24", shows a marked preference for 139 Scenars but shoots the 140 Amax nearly as well. I started out with 120 Amax as that's what MileHigh had in stock when I bought the gun. Managed a couple of sub 1/2" 5 shot groups with those also. When I switched to 200, the difference really started to show.

I bought my gun 2nd hand from a nice guy in Kansas who advertised it in the for sale section here. Build by AO, Pierce action, Rock 24" 1-8" bbl, AIAX chassis, KRG trigger set to run single stage with a 1.3# glass rod break, Bushy 3.5x21 HDMR with a G2 reticle in a Spuhr 20 MOA, 1.46" 34mm mount. The gun will get better when I do. Only about 250 rounds down range so far, I think I might be wanting to clean the bbl in a short time. Stupidly, I let myself run out of ammo and am waiting for another 200 rounds to show up.

I have other rifles to play with as I'm in the middle of some scope swapping and acquisitions. So I can keep busy till my Copper Creek order shows up. I've gotta get my reloading bench set up so I can start saving a bit of money.