• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ORIGIN Orders

FYI Ryan at Hunt's Long range now has the recoil lug that will make the Origin compatible with TL3 shouldered barrels. Mine should be here on Wednesday and I can give a good update on it.

Will a smaller recoil lug have any effect on shooting the rifle?

Will a smaller recoil lug have any effect on shooting the rifle?

It's only 150thousandths. No impact at all talked with Ray at Bighorn and Ryan @ Hunt's. Recoil lug is cheap I wont list the price I got it at since he hasnt listed on the website yet but very reasonable.

You guys are seriously lacking in the picture department.:mad:
Got mine put together the other day, If the wind dies down up here i will go dial in my load.

IMG_20190221_172240.jpg

IMG_20190221_172306.jpg

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20190221172143700_COVER.jpg

Got my Origin in a couple weeks ago, didn't have the recoil lug, but Bighorn got in the mail, and it arrived about a week later. I've taken it out twice so far and it's pretty fantastic to shoot. Still figuring out what it likes to run until I can get my reloading situation figured out.

Attachments

• f00kdR9.jpg
    f00kdR9.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 83
  • received_611806012599051.jpeg
    received_611806012599051.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 88
  • shot_1550885978549.jpg
    shot_1550885978549.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 65
Reactions: Sutherlandsd
Got my Lefty Origin from Hunt's. The Origin/TL3 Recoil lug works I spun on a couple of shouldered TL3 Barrels and they headspace properly. I tried a couple of the barrels that I have loctited the nut on for TL3's and they all headspaced properly also. I guess next I will shoot a few groups with the thinner recoil lug and see if there is any difference. Included are some pics of the modified recoil lug when I get a chance I will put some calipers on them both and take pics. The modified lug is of course the thinner lug it basically lets the barrel make about two revolutions before shouldering.

recoil lug1.jpgrecoil2.jpg

isnt it better to have a thicker recoil lug? I understand wanting to use prefits for the tl3 but if they make origin prefits also wouldn’t it be better to go that route?

The modified lug is plenty thick enough to not flex under recoil.

This just gives an avenue to have more options for barrels and for tl3 and origin owners like me is invaluable add-on at a very low $30 price tag. It basically gave me a shop full of barrels I have for my TL3s to use with my origin.

People that received their Origin recently, how long did you guys have to wait? I ordered mine(right hand 308 bolt face) 2 weeks ago and still waiting.

Just picked up my second Origin today.:) This one took about 2.5 weeks. Right hand Valkyrie bolt face.

ETA: First one took about 4 weeks so they must be getting them out faster.

Last edited:
Just picked up my second Origin today.:) This one took about 2.5 weeks. Right hand Valkyrie bolt face.

ETA: First one took about 4 weeks so they must be getting them out faster.

I'm fighting the urge to do this... My first Origin isn't even finished yet.

Reactions: RFutch
Just ordered my first Origin last night. This will be my first venture into Bighorns, have 2 Tikka customs and it's time to branch out! Was quoted 2-3 weeks.

Reactions: jackinfl
I got an order confirmation for a bolt head at what must have been 5:50AM, at the latest, their local time. That's both dedication and probably an indication of the volume of orders they might be dealing with...

I just made the full payment, should receive it soon, ordered on Feb 14.

Last edited:
I got an order confirmation for a bolt head at what must have been 5:50AM, at the latest, their local time. That's both dedication and probably an indication of the volume of orders they might be dealing with...

They have returned my emails from 12-1am. They must be putting in some long hours. They've more than earned my business on several occasions.

Liking this action and really liking the barrel from Keystone Accuracy. I do wish the bolt throw was less like the nucleus action though.

6 Dasher
Krieger 1:7.5 M24 contour 26"
MPA comp / Bix n Andy TacSport 2 stage
Lapua Hydro / CCI 450M / Sierra 107 & Berger Hybrid 105

Shot 1st 100 rounds today finishing the fire forming of the brass. I wasn't really going for great groups since I was getting the brass formed and also shooting in the barrel. It's tough to try to figure out which load to us since they all were shooting pretty darn good, not complaining one bit.

40296194903_190a2502c8_z.jpg

47208993782_ef3be56c8b_b.jpg

47208992682_3705174315_z.jpg

Chad

Last edited:
Liking this action and really liking the barrel from Keystone Accuracy. I do wish the bolt throw was less like the nucleus action though.

6 Dasher
Krieger 1:7.5 M24 contour 26"
MPA comp / Bix n Andy TacSport 2 stage
Lapua Hydro / CCI 450M / Sierra 107 & Berger Hybrid 105

Shot 1st 100 rounds today finishing the fire forming of the brass. I wasn't really going for great groups since I was getting the brass formed and also shooting in the barrel. It's tough to try to figure out which load to us since they all were shooting pretty darn good, not complaining one bit.

40296194903_190a2502c8_z.jpg

47208993782_ef3be56c8b_b.jpg

47208992682_3705174315_z.jpg

Chad

Chad, that the Livermore CA range?

Yes hoping to take it out in a few weeks to 300 yds

Yup. Not much out here anymore. YOu go there often?

Chad
Going tomorrow morning to do my first round of load development on the Origin. 140 ELD, running 41.2 to 43.4 grains of H4350, 26 inch Kreiger from Keystone. I tested a go gauge today, no headspace issues on mine, although I had it shipped there directly from Bighorn for the barrel job back in Sept or Oct last year

Going tomorrow morning to do my first round of load development on the Origin. 140 ELD, running 41.2 to 43.4 grains of H4350, 26 inch Kreiger from Keystone. I tested a go gauge today, no headspace issues on mine, although I had it shipped there directly from Bighorn for the barrel job back in Sept or Oct last year

Very nice. Yeah I got lucky today with the weather, didn’t rain while I was there and only had about 12 lanes full on rifle side.

It’s gonna shoot lights out, have fun

"A post from this weekend regarding the @bighorn_arms Origin action caused quite an unintended stir. I would like to clear a few things up, move forward, and allay any assumptions that have been made in such a short time. As stated earlier, I strongly believe that all of the Bighorn products are extremely high quality and certainly worthy of your trust. As a result of a very good conversation with Ray at Bighorn this afternoon, we discussed all of the possibilities of manufacturing tolerances when introducing additional components and how they can possibly effect headspace with regard to SAAMI spec.

Although I strive to keep headspace dimensions to the very minimum of SAAMI spec of generally .004" variance, we have determined that with all actions using a non-integrated recoil lug, an extra .001" will be added to the chamber depth in order to ensure the proper headspace of a pre-fit barrel.
The above diagram will accompany any and all rifle bolt actions that the customer would be willing to send in for a custom fitting of their action in order to absolutely ensure that any future pre-fit orders are machined to the exact dimension on your specific action at no additional charge. The production of pre-fit shouldered barrels will resume immediately with regard to the Bighorn Origin.
Please share this info on some of the forums that the last post was unintentionally successful in causing the normal internet forum drama.
Thank you for reading!"

This was taken from Keystone accuracy facebook page so its back to game on for Origin barrels from Keystone

Well, at the range right now doing load dev. For those that are going to file the bolt trigger contact area, do it minimally. I've had three light strikes / failures to fire out of my 50 shots today. Going to contact Bighorn for a new part tomorrow and just use the original sized part.

Well, at the range right now doing load dev. For those that are going to file the bolt trigger contact area, do it minimally. I've had three light strikes / failures to fire out of my 50 shots today. Going to contact Bighorn for a new part tomorrow and just use the original sized part.

I probably took off too much on my Origin its perfect for my Calvin Elite Timney but has some issues with a triggertech. I solely blame Timney every damn action I have ever stuck a Calvin elite in had more cock on close than a savage.

I'll probably place an order this week also post up how it went and what the cost was.

I probably took off too much on my Origin its perfect for my Calvin Elite Timney but has some issues with a triggertech. I solely blame Timney every damn action I have ever stuck a Calvin elite in had more cock on close than a savage.

I'll probably place an order this week also post up how it went and what the cost was.
Shot them an email a few hours ago, will keep you guys posted on cost.

Anyone know how to disassemble the firing pin to remove this cocking piece? I can remove the pin from the bolt, remove the two Allen screws holding the cocking piece in, but can't seem to remove the actual cocking piece afterwards.

Sorry to hear it didn't go as planned. What is the benefit in doing what you were trying to do, to get a lighter bolt lift? When running the bolt when actually shooting, i thought it was very smooth and light. For me my hang up was running my rounds to the lands to finish fire forming the brass so sometimes it was tough to close but I knew why.

Sorry to hear it didn't go as planned. What is the benefit in doing what you were trying to do, to get a lighter bolt lift? When running the bolt when actually shooting, i thought it was very smooth and light. For me my hang up was running my rounds to the lands to finish fire forming the brass so sometimes it was tough to close but I knew why.

Lighter bolt close. On mine, Jewell trigger, seemed harder to close the bolt than on my Savage TBH.

I used a dremel and carefully took some material off of my cocking piece(ramp?). Noticeably easier bolt close. I'm running a TT Diamond trigger. I think I managed to keep the angle on it close to what it normally is. Polished it up with some high grit sandpaper. And added a very light dab of lube. Shooting 6br with CCI 450s and so far no light primer strikes yet either. I did it myself because I have a match coming up in a few weeks and need to do some load development and didn't want to chance being without my rifle for a week or more. I'll send it in the Big Horn after the match and have them do it correctly and hopefully get it running as smooth as possible but still function 100%.

Reactions: Olen_4504
Shot them an email a few hours ago, will keep you guys posted on cost.

Anyone know how to disassemble the firing pin to remove this cocking piece? I can remove the pin from the bolt, remove the two Allen screws holding the cocking piece in, but can't seem to remove the actual cocking piece afterwards.

i don't know how to do it either. i bought a spare cocking piece in case i buggered up my DIY tuning job. i got it tuned pretty well and didn't need the spare cocking piece. but haven't the slightest clue how to remove it.

also, where did you have a second allen screw? i only saw one on the bottom of the cocking piece. little tiny tiny set screw.

because I'm hard headed. and shoot way too much to want to take my gun apart and be without it. haha
I shoot a ton also but I would rather be without it for less then a week and have it done perfectly. I know mine will run. If you start filing on one it’s a guessing game. No thanks, I paid too much to risk screwing it up because I’m impatient.

Just ordered an Origin from Bighorn in 223 last night for my sons birthday build. Not even worth going the Rem700 route with all the work needed to get it where I want it

Have a tack driver Bugholes Savage small shank Mullerworks 223 Rem Match and Bighorn nut to put on it.

I have timed a trigger before and mine is good to go for the timney my only issue is I know I will switch the timney at some point to a trigger tech and having tested a trigger tech I know I will need another cocking piece.

Same thing I'm sure would happen to you if you sent it in and switched from timney to tt. It's not bighorns fault, the timney is just made that way.

Just ordered an Origin from Bighorn in 223 last night for my sons birthday build. Not even worth going the Rem700 route with all the work needed to get it where I want it

Have a tack driver Bugholes Savage small shank Mullerworks 223 Rem Match and Bighorn nut to put on it.
This is exactly what I want to do with my origin once I get over my 6mm fetish.

i don't know how to do it either. i bought a spare cocking piece in case i buggered up my DIY tuning job. i got it tuned pretty well and didn't need the spare cocking piece. but haven't the slightest clue how to remove it.

also, where did you have a second allen screw? i only saw one on the bottom of the cocking piece. little tiny tiny set screw.
The two set screws are on top of each other. I assume one is to lock the other.

Reactions: Olen_4504
I shoot a ton also but I would rather be without it for less then a week and have it done perfectly. I know mine will run. If you start filing on one it’s a guessing game. No thanks, I paid too much to risk screwing it up because I’m impatient.
Emailed Ray, gonna send it in after all,next week after one more session for load development this coming weekend. Seems the way to go, like you said.