• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Painting rifle

youngun

Private
Minuteman
Dec 17, 2012
G'day, new to the forum but thought it was time to join up as there is a wealth of knowledge on here. So here's my question. Im planning on doing a cammo paint job on my Weatherby Vanguard. Im wanting to keep it as cheap as possible and to stick with preasure packs if possible, I do have a full spraying set up if there are no other options.

I have seen that a lot of people have used krylon but the problem is I can't find anyone who stocks this in Australia and to get it shipped here would cost a mint. So does anyone know of other options that could be avaliable in Australia or a distributer who will ship the paint over cheap?

My main concern is that the heat from the barrel will cook the paint and any heat resistent paint only really comes in black, crome, gold, etc.

Again any assistence is appreciated.

Re: Painting rifle

No issues with barrel heat and standard Krylon, it sounds like getting your hands on it will be the only issue. If you can find similar colors in matte other than the standard "camo", that would work as well. Use a matte clear when your done.

Kirk R

Rustoleom has some of the same stuff as well.

I just did some looking and found this.

http://www.crockerspaint.com/newshop/categories/282/Krylon_Fusion_for_Plastic.html

They appear to be an Australia company that carries Krylon. It's already in country so far as I can tell, so duties and import taxes + dangerous goods shipping req's won't be an issue. Though, it seems you must get shipping via a courier as Australian Post (your post office?) will not ship the Dangerous Good. Also, you must be and adult to sign for it? But if you can own a gun there, I would assume you can purchase spray paint
smile.gif

Hope this helps

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rustoleom has some of the same stuff as well.

http://www.crockerspaint.com/newshop/categories/282/Krylon_Fusion_for_Plastic.html

They appear to be an Australia company that carries Krylon. It's already in country so far as I can tell, so duties and import taxes + dangerous goods shipping req's won't be an issue. Though, it seems you must get shipping via a courier as Australian Post (your post office?) will not ship the Dangerous Good. Also, you must be and adult to sign for it? But if you can own a gun there, I would assume you can purchase spray paint
smile.gif

Hope this helps</div></div>

Thanks for the link mate. Here in Australia the spray cans are locked in cages and I have to ask a 16 year old kid to open it for me to buy the paint and also show ID. Soon will probably need an explosives licence or similar to be able to purchase them and register each can
mad.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: youngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Rustoleom has some of the same stuff as well.

smile.gif

Hope this helps</div></div>

Thanks for the link mate. Here in Australia the spray cans are locked in cages and I have to ask a 16 year old kid to open it for me to buy the paint and also show ID. Soon will probably need an explosives licence or similar to be able to purchase them and register each can
mad.gif
</div></div>

I read about that, evidently ya'll had a problem with kids "huffing" spray paint, but I think ya'll call it "Chroming." Sad to see people willfully destroying their brain. Anyways, I expect to see pictures of the painted rifle. Hell I painted a stock tonight in GAP-ish desert camo. It came out alright. By the way, a painted rifle groups better than their non-painted counterparts. 'Tis a fact.

P.S. Welcome to the Hide

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Aur0ra145</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: youngun</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

mad.gif
</div></div>

I read about that, evidently ya'll had a problem with kids "huffing" spray paint, but I think ya'll call it "Chroming." Sad to see people willfully destroying their brain. Anyways, I expect to see pictures of the painted rifle. Hell I painted a stock tonight in GAP-ish desert camo. It came out alright. By the way, a painted rifle groups better than their non-painted counterparts. 'Tis a fact.

P.S. Welcome to the Hide </div></div>
Yeah it is a big problem here. Petrol, paint, thinners, basically anything potent they will sniff
mad.gif

Anyway I bought the paint from Aur0ra145's link so should get it soon and will post pics once done. I had to provide a photo copy of my drivers licence to make sure I was over 18 and my address matched to the shipping address
confused.gif

Appoligies for the crappy pics. These are the before and after shots of my rifle.

IMG00067-20121220-1802_zpsf7dbc2c6.jpg

IMG00069-20121220-2146_zpsce81bc3d.jpg

Didn't quit turn out as well as I hoped. I should have gone a darker colour for the base coat to get more contrast but I still like it. May grab some photos of it out in the field over Christmas.

youngun, your rifle looks fine. Put a second and third light base coat on, then darker colors for accents and dispersed pattern.

You don't need Krylon or spray paint although they're simple and convenient. Anyone with an air brush can help you using standard house exterior, outdoor furniture, automobile, or aircraft paint. You can do a decent job with any paint you find at a hardware store using brushes or sponges.

You don't need a full-blown yowie treatment to break up your rifle's pattern. Seeing what you have you should be very close to busting any 'roo, bunny, mule, camel, or dingo at the fringes or way into the outback.

The paint smell will dissipate after curing and drying.

This thread has some sample painted rifles, some of current digger rifles and kit: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...300#Post3733300

Welcome to the Hide.
smile.gif

YG, you can add contrast with some sponges. Search the threads for sponge painting, you really cant get it wrong. Even if the pattern wears down, it is not too noticeable. You can leave it as, is, or sponge the stock and scope, leave the barreled action flat. Give it a try, worst case, spray it over.

Looks like a fun project for the next few days.

I decided to throw some green into it to break it up a bit and looks pretty good in my opinion. I will throw up some pics of it out in the field after Christmas.

youngun I think it looks damn good. There is only one person that has to be happy with it. That is you.

In my case, I am usually my own worse critic.

Looking forward to your additional pictures.

looks good man, nice thing is you can change it up for under a dollar once you get three or four colors of spray paint.