• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Parkerizing

longbow62

Private
Minuteman
Jan 1, 2012
Arkansas
Is plugging the chamber and muzzle neccisary when Parkerizing a barreled action and stripped bolt? I have read some say yes, others no won't hurt a thing not to plug. Is it possible to ruin barrel?

Re: Parkerizing

Plugging the barrel is necessary or the phosphoric acid will etch your bore,the temps are low enough not to worry about pressure build up.

I always plug the bore before parking. I use silicon rubber tapered plugs available from Mc Master Carr. If I were parking barrels with chrome lined bores I would probably not worry as much but still plug them as well. I never really understood why some dont plug before parking it is a simple step and I plug em before I blast em anyway so I just leave the plugs in. For barrels with gas ports I just push the plug into the bore far enough to cover the gas port

Yes, plug the bore. Had a rifle ruined when the finisher didn't plug the bore. Extremely rough afterward. He tried to fix it by lapping the bore. Wound up with a loose, worn out barrel.