• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PDA field recharging

Re: PDA field recharging

My Nomad works for weeks on end (or for days if I use the GPS).

I trained a team of guinea pigs to row a tiny boat. They generate electricity which allows me to charge my PDA in the field. Took me 6 mo. to train each one, and 8 mo. to get the little chubby one to yell "row". It was kinda strange. It's such a simple word.... row.

A row is what you have when you put a bunch of guinea pigs together.
laugh.gif

Use a data book
smile.gif

No Batteries required!
smile.gif

I know there is an emergency crank charging radio/flashlight that has a port for charging electronics. It's also solar powered. I'm using my phone, or I'd look it up for you. I think it's an Eton or something close to that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 3fingervic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know there is an emergency crank charging radio/flashlight that has a port for charging electronics. It's also solar powered. I'm using my phone, or I'd look it up for you. I think it's an Eton or something close to that. </div></div>

Actaully I know what your'e talking about. I have one.

thanks.

Try the Solar panel starter kit from Changers. It only costs a $150 dollars. Its thin, light, and can be tied to the outside of your backpack, plus there are many different adapters to charge different devices. There is a great review on it at itstactical.

Go to Northern Tools website, they have small solar panels to charge various things. While you are there, you will more than likely find other things you like!!!

I use a PowerFilm USB AA Solar Charger. I like it because it has a USB charging port but uses rechargeable AA batteries to store the solar charge when you're not connected to a device. The AA batteries can be removed and used in GPS and other devices that don't have USB charging ports. Pretty slick. Very lightweight and flexible, although you'll find other solar panels with more watts. Amazon carries them.

ETA: You're looking at about $73 for one.

2v2tc9t.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Petey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a PowerFilm USB AA Solar Charger. I like it because it has a USB charging port but uses rechargeable AA batteries to store the solar charge when you're not connected to a device. The AA batteries can be removed and used in GPS and other devices that don't have USB charging ports. Pretty slick. Very lightweight and flexible, although you'll find other solar panels with more watts. Amazon carries them.

2v2tc9t.jpg

</div></div>

Those are pretty good. I use a Solar JOOS Orange. It is a good rechargable panel. Which has multiple adapters as well. IMO the most efficient solar panel out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Petey</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I use a PowerFilm USB AA Solar Charger. I like it because it has a USB charging port but uses rechargeable AA batteries to store the solar charge when you're not connected to a device. The AA batteries can be removed and used in GPS and other devices that don't have USB charging ports. Pretty slick. Very lightweight and flexible, although you'll find other solar panels with more watts. Amazon carries them.

2v2tc9t.jpg

</div></div>

So you can charge any USB device + AA batteries? If so not bad for $73.00

I'm not sure about 'any' USB device, but it works well with my iPod Touch that I use as a ballistics tool and has no problem charging the AA Eneloop batteries that come with the unit. I haven't tried it with an iPad or other power-hungry device that is beyond the old USB charging standard of 5V at 1A. The iPod and AA batteries cover my needs so I've left it at that.

I just one of the Freeloader solar battery chargers and it's great. You give it a full charge off your computer/socket before you leave, and you can top it up from the solar panels it has while you're out in the woods.

I too use a powerfilm roll up solar panel.

My advice: get one that puts out three times the power you need.

Why? 1. that way it will run the device directly from the sun WHILE it charges the batts &
2. on a REALLY cloudy day it will still give you enough juice to charge the batts with the unit off.

(Even a large power film rollable panel is lighter than these cheesy expensive backup battery with teeny solar panel rigs getting popular now- and you'd still have more power....)

Mine does all this, speaking from field experience.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y1LqmxTElq8&feature=relmfu"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Y1LqmxTElq8&feature=relmfu" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Optics Planet</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This opens to 9.25 x 27", and puts out 5W:

opplanet-brunton-f-explorer-explorer-foldable-solar-panel.png

Brunton

The problem is, what if it's cloudy? Take a look at this:
opplanet-brunton-sync-battery-charger-81-000008.png

Brunton Sync

5% discount for Hide members, and free shipping.

Mark H. </div></div>

+1 Brunton is making some pretty slick stuff these days.

That being said, as was astutely put: a logbook doesn't require batteries. One is none and two is one? Hrmmm....