• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Pelican,Patriot,Plano case or ?

metalicat

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2013
New Hampshire
Any other reputable case manufactures that are bulletproof......There was a thread a few months back on this topic but i cant seem to find it. Appreciate your input.

You can find good deals on Pelican cases from time to time on Amazon, Brownells, or Midway.

I tried using one of the hot wires to cut the foam but have found a good pair of scissors works best.

I use pelican cases at work and they take their fair share of a beating and handle lots of adverse conditions.

Okay I have my flame suit on...but these regularly go on sale for $99 and are shockingly nice

https://www.harborfreight.com/9800-weatherproof-protective-rifle-case-long-64520.html

I saw this.... here is one thing I noticed though, outside of the label on the case, the HF case is identical looking to the Flambeau I just bought through walmart. HERE is Flambeau. While I cannot say anything one way or the other about the HF version, I would not hesitate to recommend the Flambeau I bought to anyone. I would put it up against a Pelican or the like any time. This case is very stout.

FYI here is the manufacturer product page of the one I got at walmart.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies.......i have 2 plano.....this time i went with the boyt....will be here friday.
Which size Boyt case did you get?

I have the Boyt H51 and needed a 2nd center of foam to cut in a different rifle. Below if a link to the foam insert I ordered. Its a good dense foam (more dense than the boyt) and cut easily. Now I can put several rifles in the same case, just have decide which one.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015JRXH1W/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thay may have a smaller one to fit a smaller case if you needed it.

Here are my Prairie dog rifles in it.

20180813_221445.jpg 20180813_221455.jpg

Reactions: metalicat
i truthfully think im the only one on the planet but ive had 2 peilcan and one browning (pelican made i believe) and the my scope got spun in the rings on all three.

so much so that i started taking my scope off and putting it in my carry on when i traveled for a training or hunt.

i now have a SKB double rifle case (the cases with the chunky bumps on them).

thats been beat to shit on airplanes (foot prints on top from hippie states) and not a problem.

with the SKB i didnt even cut the foam inside.

plus they seem to slide easier because of the bumps. put 2-3 pelicans on top of each other and they damn things are like velcro

just my opinion

I've been really happy with my case from Patriot. I splurged for the custom cut foam, and it was well worth the cost of the upgrade.

The Plano MilSpec cases are right up there with the Pelicans and the like.

Reactions: SwiftScope
i truthfully think im the only one on the planet but ive had 2 peilcan and one browning (pelican made i believe) and the my scope got spun in the rings on all three.

so much so that i started taking my scope off and putting it in my carry on when i traveled for a training or hunt.

i now have a SKB double rifle case (the cases with the chunky bumps on them).

thats been beat to shit on airplanes (foot prints on top from hippie states) and not a problem.

with the SKB i didnt even cut the foam inside.

plus they seem to slide easier because of the bumps. put 2-3 pelicans on top of each other and they damn things are like velcro

just my opinion
How the hell does that happen in a case? Never heard of such a thing

Reactions: Rob01
How the hell does that happen in a case? Never heard of such a thing

yeah, thats a scope mounting issue, not a hard carrying case issue.

Culprit would be insufficient torque, and or poor ring quality. Hell, the military used to throw scoped rifles down stairs to test mounts and zeros, and his scopes are spinning in a padded case? something is very wrong.

Culprit would be insufficient torque, and or poor ring quality. Hell, the military used to throw scoped rifles down stairs to test mounts and zeros, and his scopes are spinning in a padded case? something is very wrong.

your telling me...i though i was jinxed.

lets say approx 2007-2010 rem 700 aics chassis, lup MK4 rings, lup MK4 scope.

2 times: traveled to virginia to see Vern Harrison at central virginia tactical.

opened the case and he said WTF, fucking scope was on a 30 degree angle.

he had a storm case in his basement that was the older shiny style, tossed his rifle in it and hit it with a hammer. of course it was fine.

we joked that if we did that my scope would probably be in pieces.

maybe bad case, luck.

but since i switched to the SKB, Ive been fine.

He said he didn't cut the foam on the SKB which would imply he did on the pelicans which could have been part of his issue. I'm new to firearms but I work in photo/broadcast production where pelicans are almost a way of life. There are certain things that I wont put in a rolling case because of the vibrations sustained just being wheeled through an airport; now think about a case in the hold on a 5 hour flight and the vibrations there from. When using the pluck foam things might not measure up prefect so the item can still move around in the foam during transport at which point it doesn't matter what case is around it.
Almost all of my pelicans use padded dividers which are rearranged based off of what I am transporting to make sure they don't move.
When it comes to things I really don't want to move I use a memory foam mattress topper cut to the case (I think I saw this mentions recently on here; it made me happy). Another tip if you are using the pluck foam, take spray glue and stick down a cut piece of felt across the top of the foam so that once you've plucked it the cubes can't come out as easily.
To be honest at this point in time most of the plastic gear cases are good enough, the differences really are in the latches. Personally I'm not a fan of the SKB latches they are just soft and mushy and don't feel secure after some use like the normal pelicans. The pelican Storm cases are a little lighter then the normal pelicans and have a push button latch vs a two stage latch, the latches are super easy to use but I wouldn't use a Storm case as an apple box (stand on/use as table/chair/door stop/rig weight) like I do with my normal pelicans.
I just went and checked out the Nanuk cases; for the photo/video world I don't know about their latches, seem harder to use off hand and blind than whats out there. Also videos show their cases being very soft compared to the normal pelicans.
However looking at their long cases the latches have built in locks which is worth the price premium compared to the annoyance of 4+ padlocks on the larger pelicans.
The Plano stuff looks really good for the price.
If you are really going to beat up your case I would buy the pelican and have foam cut for it and you are done. Pelican's warranty is outstanding and one of the easiest companies I have dealt with in relation to warranties. But if you don't care about being able to float your gear behind a kayak buy what ever case is on sale cause its going to do just fine.
TLDNR; buy whats on sale or the normal pelican

First time no foam as expected/stated.
Next time I stuffed chunks around etc.

Common sense would say it must be something I didn’t or did, but wasn’t my first day... still baffles me.

I knew a guy one time that had an aluminium case that held 3 guns. The guns rode side by side with the scopes up fully padded. I wish I could find one of those. Pretty compact setup.

Any other reputable case manufactures that are bulletproof......There was a thread a few months back on this topic but i cant seem to find it. Appreciate your input.

I don’t know the model number offhand, but I have Plano that has done well. I don’t do any air travel with it. However, it rides in the back of my Pinzgauer as I go over some pretty iffy ground and my rifle is always daisy fresh.