• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Pennsylvania (PA) Hog/Feral Pig Hunting?

MueveloNYC

Private
Minuteman
May 1, 2008
NYC, NY
Anyone know of a good place in PA that has guided hog hunts that are decent? I would like to learn how to clean these piggies too. (originally I was planning to go to Texas, but I'm short on funds, but I hear PA has good hog hunts)

I'd like to stay away from the canned hog hunt where you shoot them in a pen, which is pretty dumb. A few guys at my range went to one like that and were pissed.

Re: Pennsylvania (PA) Hog/Feral Pig Hunting?

Theres a place in Tioga (Tioga Boar Preserve) thats been around for awhillllllllllllllle. It'd be closer for ya. Haven't been to it myself so dont know quite how its set up.

LOL that's the place that my buddies got scammed to go. You basically shoot the animal in a pen. Not cool.

Save your funds and take the trip down to Texas or South GA when you can, you will be happy you did. Sounds like you are interested in shooting them, however they do offer hunts with dogs which are one hell of an experience if you have never been. Let me know if you ever make it down to GA, I've got some leased land full of hogs that we dog a good bit.

Chad

I don't know of any guided hunts but they have been taking wild pigs in Bradford County for some time now (private property and State Game lands) Best guess is that several breeding pairs escaped from one of the "canned" places and have been making little piggies ever since. They have become a real nuisance to the game commission who want them killed. My best friend killed one from his deer stand on opening morning of rifle deer season 3 or 4 years ago. Just got a report from his mother that a 200lb sow was killed 150yds behind her house the other day. Check out the Game Commission's web site for hunting info but basicly, as I understand it, it is any time any way. Farmers hate them so getting permission isn't hard if you don't want to hunt the State Game lands.

Howdy NYC, I'm a member on a PAFOA forum. I have some friends from PA that were on the forum and so I got involved in it. Anyway, there's a place that many of them have been raving about lately http://www.mohrswidowmaker.com/island.htm . There are several of them there that have said it's a good time and that you're NOT shooting them in a pen. I know absolutely nothing about the place, just that people on the pafoa website rave about it. I don't want to crosspost, so if you want a link to the thread, I'll be happy to PM you one. I don't know if the people up in PA quite know how to do it like we do in the South, lol, but you can find out a bit more. I believer it's $300 or $350 a pig. I think that's pretty steep, especially since farmers in east Texas will let you kill all you want for free (besides traveling, room and board, etc), but I guess they don't have that many in the area. If you just wanted to shoot 1 or 2 pigs, it might be cheaper; if you really want to get into a mess of them, you might be better off going to someone's lease that will let you shoot lots for free. Just some things to consider.

$350.00 a pig!?!? You'll spend less than that at a butcher shop and save a lot of $. :~)

A couple of buddies and I went on a hog hunt in Texas about a month ago. We met the guy on another forum and swapped a deer hunt for all the hogs we could get ahold of in 36hr. Turned out that was 14 of them. You might try getting on a predator forum and offering some type of hunt in trade for a few piggies?

This is good info.

Ghogs, sorry I wasn't ranting at you, just at that specific place.
smile.gif

Tomcat, yes please PM me the info, or post here as I'm sure others would be interested esp. if they search.

Brokes, I'll keep you in mind. Plus I have a valid FL CCW which GA honors so makes it even better. It's a 16 hour drive for me to GA so it's not too bad.

Just curious. I know the little piglets are good eats, but what do you do with the big nasty ones? Anything worth salvaging for money? LOL

We left the big boars lay where they dropped. Took the tenderloins outta everything else. Soaked em in salt water and orange juice for 24hr and they where damn good. Also cooked a whole piglet that weighed 10 pounds field dressed that was awesome.
wink.gif

Ah so it really is like killing rats since they're declared vermin.
smile.gif

I can tell you that I hunt hogs a lot, we usually let sows go unless we are going to butcher them and the boars are depending on size and whether we can safely turn them loose. That being said, I have eaten some big, stinking boars (350+lbs) that taste wonderful. The biggest issue is the smell when you cook a big one, just cook it outside on a grill, slow all day in a good marinade and the meat will be absolutely delicious. If you prepare them correctly you will love the meat, however wild pig meat tends to be more dry so you don't want to overcook terribly. All the area's we hunt are 100% fair chase, you might get on 5-8 hogs in a day or you might get skunked.... At any rate, I can tell you saving some cash and hunting fair chase rather than those pens is the only way to go. I've heard nothing but bad reports about how it feels like you are going out and "murdering" an animal. Just my .02 cents.

Chad

Exactly. I'd rather hunt my prey fairly. Shooting something in a pen is not fun, nor cool. Plus its the wild feral hogs that are deemed a problem and declared vermin in most states, so I'm actually helping the environment.

There is a place in Shippenville, PA for Russians but they are far from free ranging.

I'm eager to go back to Texas for a little swine slamming.

Good times, good times

Here is a free ranging hot a shot at 6400~ft in SW Texas while on an Auodad hunt
Texas_hog.jpg