• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Pet loads for .338 Lapua

mct54

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2009
Tucson, AZ
www.tapman.biz
I am just now working up loads for my DTA .338LM. So far Retumbo Power has done the best grouping. IMR7828 not as good.
Using 250gr Sierra HPBT (2nd best) & Spitzer BT. Hornady 250 RN (3rd best) 250Gr SP interloc and 225gr SP interloc. Nosler 225GR AccuBond (1st). I have some 300Gr Senars ordered and just purchased some US869 power for a trial. I am loading for 2600 to 2700 FPS.

Any suggestions would be great appreciated.

Ran

Re: Pet loads for .338 Lapua

I put together some rounds last weekend.

So far the SMK 250gr seem to be grouping the best for me.
Hornady 225gr SST had terrible groupings across eight powder loads.

Have some Hornady 250gr Match and some Nosler coming in tomorrow
in addition to additional SMK's. Will test those within the week.

While I use H869 powder for my .50bmg loads, I am using H4350 powder for
.338 LM. ( It uses less powder
laugh.gif
)

Rifle: Barrett 98B
Barrel: 27 " - 1 x 10

Tips: Sierra Match King HPBT 250gr
Brass: Lapua
Powder: H4350 x 82.0gr
Primer: Remington 9 1/2M ( Can't find Federal to save my life right now )
Avg FPS: 2847

while 250 SMK's work well in mine the 250 Scenars work better, I use retumbo and also R19, it is in the Sierra book. I have shot both powders from 110 degree heat to the teens with good results

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ran</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am just now working up loads for my DTA .338LM. So far Retumbo Power has done the best grouping. IMR7828 not as good.
Using 250gr Sierra HPBT (2nd best) & Spitzer BT. Hornady 250 RN (3rd best) 250Gr SP interloc and 225gr SP interloc. Nosler 225GR AccuBond (1st). I have some 300Gr Senars ordered and just purchased some US869 power for a trial. I am loading for 2600 to 2700 FPS.

Any suggestions would be great appreciated.

Ran </div></div>

With the 250s, try H-4831sc at about 85.5-87grs out to 1000 yds, also try some VV-165 and VV-170. H-1000 also shoots well with the 250s thru my TRG-42. Reloder-25 is good for the heavies, maybe Reloder-22 for the 250s. Retumbo for the heavies, even VV-170.

I've never shot farther than 1022 yds. Load to the distance you intend to shoot, as you don't want to burn your throat out prematurely.

Chris

Well I have some 300gr SMK's coming and some Senars. I will try them as soon as they get here. Anyone ever find some Speer .338 275gr bullets? They have been discontinued any one out there making odd weights on a custom basis? My friend and I are going to make some custom CNC turned cooper solids beginning of 2010. Any opinions on boat tail or rebated boat tails? Ran

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ran</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I have some 300gr SMK's coming and some Senars. I will try them as soon as they get here. Anyone ever find some Speer .338 275gr bullets? They have been discontinued any one out there making odd weights on a custom basis? My friend and I are going to make some custom CNC turned cooper solids beginning of 2010. Any opinions on boat tail or rebated boat tails? Ran </div></div>

What's the application for the round? Are you a hunter, or just wanting to target practice and at what distance?

I'm no expert on shooting solids, but you might want to check and see if bore size matters when shooting solid copper and/or brass. They don't compress as much as lead and I'm trying to remember if barrel bore size comes into the equation when shooting the single metal bullets.

My 250gr Scenars and SMKs are loaded to about 2850 fps and they're good out to at least 1022 yds, which is the longest that I've shot them. Keeping velocities in line with the distance you intend to shoot 'can' minimize throat errosion.

Also, if only target shooting, stick to the known target grade bullets. I've fiddled with Nosler 180 and 225gr (?) Ballistic Tips and even some Hornady 250 SPs and frankly, it was a was a waste of ammo.

Life's too short to be wasting 338LM rounds on hunting bullets. Now, if you're hunting with the 338LM, then by all means, try them out.

Chris

I am target shooting and hunting but mostly target. I just like to shoot that gun. I am going to be shooting long range and wanting to get on the 1000 meter range soon. I shoot a 50BMG as well in a Blue Grass Armory Viper Custom Heavy barrel. We have made some 50BMG bullets from a copper alloy. We made them real close to what a SMK looks like. They shot better than anything I have shot before or since. Better than the 750 gr Hrndy AMAX. My friend has made and used them in his Match .308 as well. They aways shoot better than store bought so far.

As far as the throat life what are we looking at about 3000 rds with 2800FPS and under? I think the barrel on the DTA Scout is made by Kreiger.

I know the appx barrel life for the new Remington MSR is listed at 2500 rounds. I remember the old 220 Swift was labeled a barrel burner and if you shot loads at 4000fps all the time I guess that was true.

Ran