• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing PGM Intervention barrel design

Godverdomme

Private
Minuteman
Aug 25, 2010
.be
The PGM Ultima Ratio "Intervention" barrel as an interesting design but I can find little about the implications on gunsmithing & accuracy.

PGM_Ultima_Ratio_rifle.jpg

Accuracy, as with all PGM rifles, is pretty great, so with this design it is very much possible to accurize the barrel and minimize 'bad' vibrations.
wink.gif

I'm however curious how hard it would be to get such a barrel 'right'. How much craftsmanship would it take to duplicate (starting from a bull barrel) if you have top notch CNC equipment available?

Nearly no other manufacturer uses this design. This while the barrel has a far greater surface area to dissipate heat than a conventional fluted barrel. Why is this design not more popular? I suppose the barrel is less rigid, but also a lot less sensitive to heat from repeated firing.

Re: PGM Intervention barrel design

Is PGM french? rings a bell.. I remember one of the Germans at an FClass comp in ol' blighty had a barrel 'radiated' like that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: __JR__</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is PGM french? rings a bell.. I remember one of the Germans at an FClass comp in ol' blighty had a barrel 'radiated' like that. </div></div>
PGM Précision is french, it's most well known for its Ultima Ratio (.308 & similar cartridges), PGM338 ("Mini-Hecate", .338LM) & Hecate II (.50 cal) rifles.
http://www.pgmprecision.com/en_US/accueil.html

They have very interesting barrel designs and seem to think outside of the box a lot. The Ultima Ratio "Intervention" model barrel is vented as above, but there are many other designs that include less common fluting techniques, weird tapering etc.

PGM-P5190846-01.jpg

I suspect that creating these kinds of barrels and getting them right would be a much tougher job than the standard fluted bull barrel. A lot more factors to keep in mind and stress relieving the barrel is probably even more important than usual, but that's just my guess.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet the additional costs of making them are more than any savings from additional life span over a barrels life.
Matter of fact I'm sure of it. </div></div>

Ozzie John,

Depends what sort of machinery they have in their arsenal. But it would cost you and I a lot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AUJohn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I bet the additional costs of making them are more than any savings from additional life span over a barrels life.
Matter of fact I'm sure of it. </div></div>
If you have access to the machinery, it's just writing up the specs/program, duping it for all instances and letting her rip.

Would take some time, thus making it fairly expensive, but not insanely so.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sinister</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The radial "Thompson Submachinegun" fluting is strictly decorative on a low rate-of-fire sniper rifle. It is not really expensive to do turning on a CNC but does not drop weight appreciably.</div></div>
So you don't think this has any advantages over a fairly thick barrel with conventional fluting?

Most likely, I wouldn't flute any barrel I buy, since weight is not a major issue for me. But the subject is rather intriguing.

The barrel appears to have an additional sleeve (possibly aluminum) of the radial fins on a stainless bore. I read the current product brocure, and the specs read as a straight 1" benchrest barrel

dil = 600 mm (23.6") - Cylindrique, Ø25 mm (Straight, almost 1" diameter)
Dissipateur Thermique / frein de bouche collé - Cooled Barrel / Bonded muzzle brake
Dispo en (Available in) : 308W (12"), 7mm08Rem (9.5"), 260Rem (9"), 300Sav (12")

PGM-P5190846-01.jpg

I do not believe it is a machined one piece ribbed barrel.

correct..it is a finned sleeve to dissipate heat..as on the FRF2 there is also a thermal sleeve to reduce heat signature. and also available is the full length supressor sleeve.

Shot a call to M. Brion (owner of PGM).

He sells a treated (thermal) "ring" with the inside threaded (fileté), so your gunsmith can fit a new blank barrel in that ring.

That operation is common for french shooters wanting a custom barrel or chamber.

P.S. feel free to send me a PM for further advice

Thanks for the answers, guys.

Not what I expected, which makes it even more interesting, of course. But as said, not something I could/would use.

pgm-intervention.jpg

There is an oilbath between the barrel and the ribbed sleeve.
Other barrel contours whitout the radiator are aso possible.
The barrel has an extension for the three locking lugs, like an AR15.