• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pick a barrel length for my .223AI (with a poll!)

*Nine

Tactical Operator
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2009
USA
I'm currently waiting for my gunsmith to get my Lilja barrel so it can be instaled on my action. Initially I told him to finish it to 27". A week or so later I called him and asked him to make it 24" when it came in. Since then I've been reading more here and learning and it seems lots of people are favoring shorter barrels for added stiffness and ease of handling. My main use of this gun is going to be punching paper, and probably at less than 600 yards the vast majority of the time. It's going to be shot both off a bench, and carried around and shot off a bipod in the field. I'm thinking now that I probably don't even need a 24" barrel and would be better off with something shorter. Here is where I defer to the wisdom of the board... which barrel length should I go with?

EDIT: If you choose "something else" please say what it is, and why you'd pick that.

Re: Pick a barrel length for my .223AI (with a poll!)

I see 20" is taking a significant lead. What kind of velocities are possible out of a 20" with a 75gr. A-Max? I was figuring on about 2900fps conservatively from the 24" and maybe 2750 from a 20". Does that sound about right?

My 22" 223AI's would do 3050fps with a moly'd 75 Amax.

My next 223AI will be a 20"er.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Brad Arnett</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My 22" 223AI's would do 3050fps with a moly'd 75 Amax.

My next 223AI will be a 20"er.</div></div> If that's the case, then I was being too conservative with my numbers, and 20" would easily suit my needs.