• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Pillar bedding and head spacing questions

jeffersonv

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 20, 2008
SoCal
I have a couple of first time gunsmithing tasks looming and have most of the details worked out but am missing a couple details I need help with.

Pillar bedding - Scimitars excellent article has given me the confidence to attack this and I understand the concept of taping the pillars to the bolts in a position snug with the action. What I am wondering is: how are the pillars trimmed to length?

Headspacing - I will be installing a 223 AI barrel on a Savage. Would the better way to go be to get go-no go guages from PT&G? If so, would I get the guages for 223 AI or 223? The reason I ask is I believe I have seen info that it is better to headspace to 223 and add .004. If this is the case, how would I add .004?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Re: Pillar bedding and head spacing questions

Trim the pillars to length on a mill after the bedding sets up. If you dont have access to a mill, cut them to length prior to bedding. Dry fit everything first. Purchase the .223AI go & no gauges.

The pillar bedding piloted cutter will also trim the bottom
to length when you need if you don't have a mill.

"The pillar bedding piloted cutter".
Scimitar, is that in your article? I may need to review.
What is that? Better yet, where so I get one?