• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Pistol reloaders......where do you get your brass?

Bigtex308

Private
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2012
Just curious, where do you get your handgun brass from?

Do you just buy dirty brass, new brass, or fully processed fired brass?

Ike

Re: Pistol reloaders......where do you get your brass?

I'll take brass wherever I can get it. I almost always take more range brass than I drop simply because the ranges don't care and it helps me out.

Well in light of all the buying frenzy....I could tell ya butthen I'd have to kill ya
smile.gif

I tend to watch GB for once fired brass lots. Usually get great deals.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">damn near all of my pistol brass is ranged picked </div></div>+1

I have a cloth bag that I keep in my range bag and find the bucket of brass that has the most of what I'm needing on top and scoop out about 10 handfulls of brass and take it home with me and sort it. Normally I come out with 2-300 9mm, 100-200 40s&w, 200 45acp, and some 38spl, 357mag, and other randoms that I keep for a rainy day

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred Seaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">damn near all of my pistol brass is ranged picked </div></div>+1 </div></div>

+2

Outside of range pickup, I've had good experiences with BrassManBrass online. Fair prices and the shipping is included in the price. Their inventory they show online is pretty accurate as to what they have.

I get mine from a little of all above. Plus I hit up the indoor ranges and buy a mixed 5 gallon bucket. Been a year or two but the last 5 gallon bucket I bought I paid 65$ for it. After sorting the brass I had way more than 65$ worth of brass. Can't remeber the real numbers but it was so good to me that the last bucket I let a friend of mine that reloads sort the bucket and halfed the brass with him.

All the ranges I shoot, including the one I'm a member of here, frown upon taking more brass than what is your own. In fact, they've had to warn and even ban a couple people who were helping themselves. Thing is, they use the brass sales to supplement their income and for certain common calibers, like 9mm, they reload them and resell cheap range ammo for those that want it to shoot at the range.

EDIT: What I'm saying is, just make sure that it's OK first, so that you don't have to deal with any run-ins or possible mis-understandings. If it's OK with the range then go for it, with gusto!

I keep brass from store bought ammo that I shoot. I also have a friend in the sheriff's dept that picks up a bunch of range brass. We will trade something out or I will give him a few bucks for the excess he and his reloading buddies don't use.

I pickup range brass for my 45acp, and 44, use purchased brass, and for 45 Win Mag I have no choice but to go through StarLine. ):

Where is the best source to purchase new brass in Bulks?

I would prefer 9mm Brass (Winchester) around 2,000 pcs.

I have been a brass scrounge since I was 8 years old. My dad would take me with him shooting in the local gravel pit. He would put a set of ears on me, and set me off to pick up brass for him. That's why you have kids, right?! I still go to outdoor shooting areas, and take a bag with me. I then tumble, and sort bu caliber and manufacturer. I run batches on the Dillon 650 with all the same headstamp. It is my OCD. Happy hunting!

I've purchased brass a few times from Brassman Brass and they are GTG. I purchased 500 pieces of .45 and .223 and it was all top notch quality.

I got a guy!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shadowofjudgment</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred Seaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elfster1234</div><div class="ubbcode-body">damn near all of my pistol brass is ranged picked </div></div>+1 </div></div>

+2 </div></div>

+3 and any production ammo I buy.

I "used to" buy from gunbroker auctions for decent prices. I haven't had to buy any since the panic ensued, so I don't know what the market looks like for pistol brass.

Lately, I've been shooting on a range that requires that I pick up my brass (I never used to since pistol brass was ~$50/k) and am re-using it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a bunch of freinds that dont reload </div></div>

True!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aloreman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">get a bunch of freinds that dont reload</div></div>
That is what I have done. I have all of my friends and family collecting there brass as well as any others they see laying around.

Im friends with the guys that run my local range.. He lets me take as much as I want...

I belong to 2 outdoor ranges and the shooters who don't reload just leave their brass on the ground. I usually go once a week (at night so I don't interfere with those shooting) and pickup whatever has been left behind.

I've got a friend that started as a side business buying indoor range brass from local ranges, it's turned into full time. He sorts by head stamp, polishes and roll sizes. Price is way cheaper than new. What part of the country you in. PM me and I'll give you his contact info if you want some. He usually has 9mm,40,45.