• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Polarized prescription shooting glasses?

strow

Private
Minuteman
Jun 13, 2005
Chinle, AZ
Does anyone have any recommendations, for or against, polarized shooting/hunting glasses?

I have had good luck with prescription Transition lenses mounted into Wiley X sunglasses (un-polarized). It is time for new lenses and I will be getting the same Transition coating but was wondering if also getting them polarized would be worth the extra money.

From a shooting and hunting standpoint would polarizing be a help or hindrance?

Thanks!

If you are reading ballistic data off a phone app or pda, you probably wont be able to see the screen through polarized lenses.

Well that kind of 86ed that whole idea! Yes I would need to read data on phone and calling remote.

Thank you for the reply!!!

All I use are polarized lens on all my shooting glasses.

I wear Costa Del Mar 580G polarized prescription sunglasses exclusively. No problem seeing screen on phone or Kestrel. I wear them shooting, fishing, hunting, driving, sitting on the patio drinking beer and watching TV, no issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeffd
Yup, love polarized glasses, but display screens also have a polarizing filter.

If your display is 90° offset from the glasses, you can't see anything. There's no way to tell until you look at the screen through the glasses. Depending on QA, the same model of phone may have the polarizing filter at any old angle, so it's not a 100% guarantee that if your friend's phone works, one you order will also.

That said, my current devices all work fine with my glasses. I can read displays in my car, on the mobile phone, the Kestrel, etc. But in the past I have had to make a point of e.g. looking at the phone in landscape.

Reactions: Jeffd
Thank you all for the excellent information!

What are the real world advantages you see (no pun intended) with polarized lenses in a shooting or hunting setting? Does it help with eye fatigue on bright days? Does it help with depth perception or spotting targets in the field?

Besides possible compatibility issues with phones and devices are there any negatives?

Thank you all for the excellent information!

What are the real world advantages you see (no pun intended) with polarized lenses in a shooting or hunting setting? Does it help with eye fatigue on bright days? Does it help with depth perception or spotting targets in the field?

Besides possible compatibility issues with phones and devices are there any negatives?
Negative:
Occasionally other things will be hard to see through as well, or give distracting rainbow effects. Some vehicle windows, for example, but not often.

Positive:
They (unscientific) knock down the doomy glare, especially that of the sky over the edge of a target without simply darkening everything.

Increases what I'll call contrast. Instead of seeing Bunch Of Trees instead I can see individual branches moving more easily, etc. This tends to also work for things you care about; people or deer moving in the shadows are easier to pick out.

To the first point, my polarized lenses are the least dark lenses I can get. This allows me to see into dark areas and use them until at least a few minutes after sunset safely; other glasses that keep eyestrain down that far from brightness are dark enough they are hard to use in sketchy dusk/dawn lighting,

They see through things you cannot see through otherwise, like into-water or (shallowly) through fog/haze, by removing the glare off the surface.

Reactions: strow and Jeffd