• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

possibly joining marine corps

miniman93

Private
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2008
SD
goin to the recruiter soon. wondering about questions i should ask and other stuff i should know

Re: possibly joining marine corps

It has been a LONG time ago since I was in the Corps. At the time the best thing I did was to study my ass off for the ASVAB and run like a muther fr. It helped immeasurably.

No offense to the Marine Corps, but if you have skills consider the Air Force.

Where do I sign to try and become an 0311?

Only thing that needs to be said.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MintyCock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Where do I sign to try and become an 0311?
Only thing that needs to be said.</div></div>You mean it doesn't need to be said that you like sand fleas, cleaning toilets and burning shit? Seriously, if you're all about hoo-rah, and not much else, then escape the latrines and go 0321. Otherwise, and if you can, do for yourself as well as for the military. Because you'll always be somebody's bitch, but the objective is not to become everybody's Bitch.
wink.gif

The recruiter won't tell you but there is a signing bonus for the infantry. 03 mos is the way to go. You will see the world and learn the phrase, "buy me drinky."

I met Mike at SOI, you will make some cool friends.

Dont be a P.O.G..

If you join the Corps it better be as infantry. If you're considering any other MOS then you might as well do that MOS in a different branch. Peace time is coming and honestly, the worst possible branch to be in during peace time is the Marine Corps. I would strongly suggest that you consider other branches at this point. The shooting game is over and it's going back to the barracks rat BS.

My only advise is don't go infantry. Like the others have said, peace time is coming. That's not a time to be infantry. All you'll do is play fuck-fuck games and be pissed at the world all the time. I wish I would've done something that I could use in the real world. If you must go Marines, be an armorer or something cool like that. You'll still shoot a lot and learn tactics that most people in the civilian world couldn't fathom. But if you go infantry now, you'll spend more time behind a mop then you will behind your rifle. Don't let the commercials, movies or recruiter fool you. Other than that, run a lot on your own and stay in good shape. It'll pay off big time for you when you get to boot camp. Also, how old are you?

Your ASVAB will determine what mos you are qualified for.
and you will have to see what is open.Look at all the jobs in
the Marine Corps.Se what fits you.As far as peace time.The Corps
never has a peace.You got to be ready to go.Like Mechanic said
run your ass off.pullups to your arms fall off.and find your
self a Guide book for Marines.Learn your basic stuff before
boot camp.

Semper Fi

I suggest armor. That way you get to work on all the gunsand when your done working on them you need to test fire them to make sure the work you done to that weapon didn't make it malfunction.

dude, there are soooo many opportunities for you in every branch. now, i love being a Marine. but to be completely honest there is much more opportunity in other branches. the army is so big with such a better budget that you can do anything in there. the Marine Corps budget has always been tiny but now its gotten worse since obama thinks that shrinking the DOD budget is a good idea. like i said, if you are dead set on Marines, and unless you really are a glutten for punishment, pick an mos other than infantry. i love being a grunt just as much as i hate it. and now that the wars are supposedly winding down, life as a grunt will be a shittier one than it has been the last 11 years.

Don't sign nothing. Take your ASVAB. Get your score. See what jobs are available. Then do yourself a huge favor and take your ASVAB score to the Army guy and see what jobs they have, then go see the Navy guy and see what jobs they have, then go see the Airforce guy and see what jobs they have. Go home and think about the jobs you want from each branch. Write down every question you can think of. When you go back to visit each one ask your questions.

That being said, infantry is cool. You have to join and pass basic and get assigned to some unit somewhere then you can start looking onto specailty schools (sniper, recon, airborne.....) Just figure out what you want....Marine recon/sniper....Army Ranger.......Navy Seal and then prepare your self mentally and physically for what is about to happen.

As a Former Marine, I'll give the same advice to the OP as I give to everybody else considering the military. Go take the ASVAB, find out which jobs you qualify for, then select a job with a civilian counterpart. Kicking in doors or firing big guns like artillery or tankers sounds like a great job, and being a Marine is an honor that will follow for the rest of every Marine's life, but eventually everybody leaves the military.

Getting a job on the outside is a whole lot easier when you have experience in the job field. If any military branch is willing to train and give you the hands on experience that will easily transition to the outside, you'd be a fool not to take advantage of that opportunity.

It's a personal decision as to what you decide on and for your own reasons.

Surviving Marine Corps boot camp is something that will open your eyes as to what you are capable of and what others are not. Watch Full Metal Jacket. That movie is pretty spot on for the boot camp portion.

If you are doing it for a future outside of the military such as obtaining a college education to learn a job or get into post graduate degrees (medicine, dental, etc), I'd say to go with the national guard in a state where there is a state college that you want to attend. Tuition exemption plus the GI bill goes a long way to keeping your loans down and you only have to do one weekend a month and 2 weeks out of the summer. In addition, alot of people dont have the fortitude to go back to school after a 4yr break while serving active duty. In the national guard, you stay in school and do your drills at the same time.

There aren't too many civilian jobs you can walk into based off of your military job.

As a young man there is plenty of time to pick up critical job skills after the military.

Your experience in the Corps is one that will last you a lifetime and should be based upon what you would like to achieve in the Marines and not what it will add to a resume.

The most valuable life changing skills will be learned through experiencing Marine Corps culture.

Don't be afraid to push yourself and strive to be the best.

FYI I was the Series Honor Man in boot camp, meritoriously promoted to PFC. Runner up for Company Honor Man in SOI (0311) again meritoriously promoted to Lance Corporal. I spent 2 months in the RIP platoon at 4th Force Recon (-) before attending BRC and beginning what would become one hell of a learning experience. Marine Combatant Diver, SERE, Airborn, Mountain Survival all before 9-11. There is plenty of fun to be had in peacetime if you have the sack to stand up to the plate.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: miniman93</div><div class="ubbcode-body">im 19. im thinking infantry so far </div></div>If you're 19 years old you have nothing but time. Stay in school. Go to College. Earn a four-year degree in a subject that will keep you interested for four years. Maybe the military can help you with that. Then, if you still want to join-up, go as an officer. That way, if you want to make a career of it you can; and if you decide, or if someone else decides for you, that you don't want a military career, you will be able to move-on without both reminiscing and starving.

If you are dead set on the Corps, do something that will transfer outside the gun club. I spent 8 years as an MP, did a LOT of pretty cool shit. Kicked doors both on base domestically and deployed abroad, and got to a few handy schools that are getting me a bigger paycheck than the guys just coming out of college to the police force/through the acadamies. On the other side of that coin though, if you dont keep your nose clean, you will NOT get promoted, and you WILL get thrown out for "service limitations" meaning you didnt get promoted far enough in their set time limits. It is notoriously hard to get promoted in anything except the band or computer bullshit stuff. (if you join the Marine Corps to be in the band you are a flaming fucking homo)

So in conclusion, if you really want to join and want to be some kind of admin ninja (gayness) go elsewhere, if you want to do something worthwhile, go ahead and do it, but be prepared to get ass raped daily by bullshit. And if you want to see how life is, check out www.terminallance.com Max tells it pretty much exactly as it is

NO NO NO NO! Swing with the Wing boy! The PI is reopening, floats where you get to be humiliated by Shellback's to be had, and all the great historic games of the PI coming back to the Navy/Marine Corps. Just imagine getting two girls for the cost of a bucket of chicken!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Officers though miss out on all the fun!! </div></div>But they have different fun....involving all the best girls.
laugh.gif

USAF taught me fix airplanes, I got my Airframe & Powerplant Liscene shortly after getting out, 25 years later I work for the most successful Airline on the planet fixing airplanes, I have a nice house, pool, nice cars, full time mommy to my kid, and we live well for a blue collar family. My suggestion to look toward the future, have Uncle Sam teach you the skills to pay your way thru life, and learn a trade from him that will also pay your bills when you get out, good luck to you.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a personal decision as to what you decide on and for your own reasons.

Surviving Marine Corps boot camp is something that will open your eyes as to what you are capable of and what others are not. Watch Full Metal Jacket. That movie is pretty spot on for the boot camp portion.

If you are doing it for a future outside of the military such as obtaining a college education to learn a job or get into post graduate degrees (medicine, dental, etc), I'd say to go with the national guard in a state where there is a state college that you want to attend. Tuition exemption plus the GI bill goes a long way to keeping your loans down and you only have to do one weekend a month and 2 weeks out of the summer. In addition, alot of people dont have the fortitude to go back to school after a 4yr break while serving active duty. In the national guard, you stay in school and do your drills at the same time.

<span style="font-weight: bold">There aren't too many civilian jobs you can walk into based off of oyur military job. </span></div></div>

Sorry to throw the flag bro but that is BS!

OP, there is a lot of good advise in almost ALL of these posts. Grahams, Hinks and others. You want to serve your Country is commendable, but like has already been posted. You got to step aside an let the younger guys do it eventually. Be prepared to take that step. Take your ASVAB, get the score. If you can, Go advanced Electronics, it will cost you six but when you get out you have two legs up on anybody just out of school looking for a job. I've been in on hiring interviews an a Vet gets top billing first by alot of us. Most of us have been you at one point in time an know what you've done. I will not speak of the Barrio or Olongapo, what happens on WESTPAC stays on WESTPAC! I've never been at the round table.

Corpsman in the FMF. WOuld be my recommendation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USAF taught me fix airplanes, I got my Airframe & Powerplant Liscene shortly after getting out, 25 years later I work for the most successful Airline on the planet fixing airplanes, I have a nice house, pool, nice cars, full time mommy to my kid, and we live well for a blue collar family. My suggestion to look toward the future, have Uncle Sam teach you the skills to pay your way thru life, and learn a trade from him that will also pay your bills when you get out, good luck to you. </div></div>

+1

When the movie Full Metal Jacket first came out and I watched it, I started laughing at things my wife didn't think were funny. She asked what was so funny, and I told her that the movie was very close to what I experienced. I even remember getting the same kind of butterflies in my gut when I was watching the movie that I got the first time I got dressed down.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 427Cobra</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USAF taught me fix airplanes, I got my Airframe & Powerplant Liscene shortly after getting out, 25 years later I work for the most successful Airline on the planet fixing airplanes, I have a nice house, pool, nice cars, full time mommy to my kid, and we live well for a blue collar family. My suggestion to look toward the future, have Uncle Sam teach you the skills to pay your way thru life, and learn a trade from him that will also pay your bills when you get out, good luck to you. </div></div>

Great advice! I've been a power plant mechanic in the Marine Corps for 5 and a half years now and it is a trade that I can always fall back on if need be. Have friends that got out and are now making 120k a year and still get to get deployed and make mega $$$$ doing what they did in the Corps.

If you want to fuck the enemies of this country, join USMC infantry.

If you want to help yourself out, join the USAF or Army in a career field that will be useful after your active duty service.

Do not ever become a reservist.

I'm in the Marines as an 0311 on special duty in DC. I won't say it's been bad, but it's not what I intended to do. I wish I was in the FMF going on combat deployments. That's what I joined to do, but you'll quickly learn about "needs of the Marine Corps" if you go that route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Robot Doc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Maelek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It's a personal decision as to what you decide on and for your own reasons.

<span style="font-weight: bold">There aren't too many civilian jobs you can walk into based off of oyur military job. </span></div></div>

Sorry to throw the flag bro but that is BS!

OP, there is a lot of good advise in almost ALL of these posts. Grahams, Hinks and others. You want to serve your Country is commendable, but like has already been posted. You got to step aside an let the younger guys do it eventually. Be prepared to take that step. Take your ASVAB, get the score. If you can, Go advanced Electronics, it will cost you six but when you get out you have two legs up on anybody just out of school looking for a job. I've been in on hiring interviews an a Vet gets top billing first by alot of us. Most of us have been you at one point in time an know what you've done. I will not speak of the Barrio or Olongapo, what happens on WESTPAC stays on WESTPAC! I've never been at the round table.

</div></div>

not really sure what you considered BS Robot Doc. 95% of the military MOSs are not marketable in the civilian field. If you can get the "harder to get" MOS which is based off of your ASVAB and availability at that precise time, then yes ... you can step into a civilian job counterpart to the military one.

The thing that is marketable regardless of you MOS are the life lessons you learn while in the military unless you are a shitbird that never gains rank. I personally would hire a former military person over an equally qualified non military person b/c the military instills in most people fortitude and determination. But that's because I was in the military. Most of the people hiring for jobs out there are not former military and don't necessarily get it and unfortunately thats what you are stuck with in most cases.

OP why are you waiting to go talk to a recruiter? Get your ass in gear and go take the test. If your score sucks wait a month, study where you were weak and take it again.

One thing not to underestimate is that all branches of the service receive tuition asistance while serving. Not all can use their GI Bill while in service (NG and Reserves can) but that is no reason not to be taking college while in service.

Go enlisted and live it to the fullest. Get your degree as you serve and decide if you want to cross over to the dark side or step out into civilization again.

If you don't use your benefits then pass them to your spouse or children.

Don't drag your feet. Go get it done!!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Officers though miss out on all the fun!! </div></div>But they have different fun....involving all the best girls.
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Doesn't count if you have to pay for them!
whistle.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ledzep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do not ever become a reservist. </div></div>

Why not? I have done both and they both have their pros and cons. Great thing about reserves is you can get a lot of schools you can't get on active duty because on active you are so busy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ledzep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do not ever become a reservist. </div></div>

Why not? I have done both and they both have their pros and cons. Great thing about reserves is you can get a lot of schools you can't get on active duty because on active you are so busy. </div></div>

I see reservists come in for their weekend with disgusting hair cuts, in formation that looks heinous wearing uniforms improperly etc... It's not something I want to be associated with.

My personal opinion is that if you want to be a Marine, be a Marine 24/7. If you want to go to college, go ROTC, use tuition assistance, or MECEP.

3/25 Summer of '05 is why you don't become a reservist.

Get a university degree while you're young.

Fact. Most universities outside of the Ivy League type (ie: ones without their heads up their ass), have a 60-70% female percentage. Where i study our uni specialises in Health Sciences, there's 75 Paramedic Students, 50 Exercise Scientists, and 300 almost exclusively female Nurses...

Drowning in quality pussy doesn't even begin to describe it, don't even have to try half the time. Which for an average dude like me makes life easy.
Save army for later bud, it'll always be there.

ok, as a Marine this hurts to say, but...
GO AIRFORCE! they have the highest percentage of women, they have the best food and biggest budget per person. also, they will treat you like a human being. if you wanna be a dumb grunt, the Air Force will gladly put you in Security Forces.
i tried to go AF after getting outta the Corps, they said that i'd have to take a Psych Eval. i said NOPE.

BTW, as a Pogue (non-infantryman in the Corps) i will say that the worst thing in the world is being Motor Trash (motor transport) and having your Captain truely believe you're a ground pounder! i went on far too many humps in 29 Palms and Camp Pendleton, when i was an airwinger stationed at MCAS Miramar.
that did help a fair amount when we were in Iraq in '03, but it sucked at the time

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ledzep</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ledzep</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do not ever become a reservist. </div></div>

Why not? I have done both and they both have their pros and cons. Great thing about reserves is you can get a lot of schools you can't get on active duty because on active you are so busy. </div></div>

I see reservists come in for their weekend with disgusting hair cuts, in formation that looks heinous wearing uniforms improperly etc... It's not something I want to be associated with.

My personal opinion is that if you want to be a Marine, be a Marine 24/7. If you want to go to college, go ROTC, use tuition assistance, or MECEP. </div></div>

By this reasoning then all specop units that look like this aren't proper military units. You should layoff the koolaid a little bit. I have met both good and bad in the reserves and active duty.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MintyCock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3/25 Summer of '05 is why you don't become a reservist. </div></div>

So then with all the disasters the SEALs have had then that would be a good reason to not become a SEAL.

Things you should know to do well in the USMC.

1. Shut the fuck up and listen to your NCO’s, SNCO’s, and Officers.
2. Do what is needed and remember rule #1.
3. The most important thing you should do is remember #1.

One thing that hasn't been said. Don't believe anything you hear from a recruiter, if it isn't on paper it will never happen.

Jong is on the money and so is nock

Ledzep, I'm sure you're a good marine but it's obvious that you're also a kool-aid-drinking boot who probably walks around with a Marine Corps logo on your sweatshirt and a "tactical pack" on your back as you ride the bus to Waffle House. Nothing wrong with that, it's all part lf being a junior marine. People who make negative comments about other branches and reserve or national guard components have obviously never deployed because if they had, they would know that everyone has their good and bad apples. That includes active marine infantry - some of whom are shitbags and others who are better men with bigger balls than I. Hair cuts and pressed uniforms don't mean shit in combat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MintyCock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3/25 Summer of '05 is why you don't become a reservist. </div></div>
I believe we relieved you guys (assuming you were in 3/25 in 05' Haditha/Haqlaniyah/Hit/Barwana area)

As an active duty marine I feel I should weigh in on this. The last eight years of my service have been the best and worst times of my life. I'm coming to the end of my relatively short career and moving on to bigger and better things. Being a former 0311 myself and doing the door-kicking throat-punching in Iraq, then becoming a scout/sniper and poppin' heads in Afghanistan has been quite a trip. But you shouldn't go into this thinking you're gonna be doing all of this whiz bang hi-speed stuff like you see in moto videos. Yes, you will do that, but that takes up about 2% of your time. The rest of it is spent mopping, cleaning your room, scrubbing stairs, etc. You'll be so good at cleaning you'll hate yourself! You'll also be awesome at sitting around and waiting, or as we say, 'Standing by to standby'. Training can be tedious, monotonous and at times just downright dumb. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it's just a exercise in misery.

Also a major factor to keep in mind is that the Marine Corps is downsizing and moving more towards a peace time corps. Since I've been in we've been at war fighting someone, somewhere, so I can't tell you what that's gonna be like but I assume a lot of UDPs, MEUs, and just sitting around twiddling your thumbs on base. If we don't pick a fight with someone else, quick, then being an infantry marine wouldn't be the wisest choice, IMHO. I would suggest seeking employment with another branch in an MOS that will help you out in the future (make your life easier! If you're going to be a POG, do it in another branch!)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MintyCock</div><div class="ubbcode-body">3/25 Summer of '05 is why you don't become a reservist. </div></div>
I believe we relieved you guys (assuming you were in 3/25 in 05' Haditha/Haqlaniyah/Hit/Barwana area)

As an active duty marine I feel I should weigh in on this. The last eight years of my service have been the best and worst times of my life. I'm coming to the end of my relatively short career and moving on to bigger and better things. Being a former 0311 myself and doing the door-kicking throat-punching in Iraq, then becoming a scout/sniper and poppin' heads in Afghanistan has been quite a trip. But you shouldn't go into this thinking you're gonna be doing all of this whiz bang hi-speed stuff like you see in moto videos. Yes, you will do that, but that takes up about 2% of your time. The rest of it is spent mopping, cleaning your room, scrubbing stairs, etc. You'll be so good at cleaning you'll hate yourself! You'll also be awesome at sitting around and waiting, or as we say, 'Standing by to standby'. Training can be tedious, monotonous and at times just downright dumb. Sometimes it helps, sometimes it's just a exercise in misery.

Also a major factor to keep in mind is that the Marine Corps is downsizing and moving more towards a peace time corps. Since I've been in we've been at war fighting someone, somewhere, so I can't tell you what that's gonna be like but I assume a lot of UDPs, MEUs, and just sitting around twiddling your thumbs on base. If we don't pick a fight with someone else, quick, then being an infantry marine wouldn't be the wisest choice, IMHO. I would suggest seeking employment with another branch in an MOS that will help you out in the future (make your life easier! If you're going to be a POG, do it in another branch!) </div></div>

3/8 '03-'07

But ya like the other guy said I never deployed.

Okay Miniman93 you have had plenty of time since this thread was started to have gone to a recruiter and enlisted.

What have you done?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Graham</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense to the Marine Corps, but if you have skills consider the Air Force. </div></div>

I didnt even read other peoples replies but is that a serious statement?? I guess doing 12 hour patrols kicking doors in house to house eliminating threats as you hear screams and crys all around you isnt a skill... calling in a gun run or a airstrike on a danger close grid requires no skills, sucesfully leading 87 contact patrols and loosing no Marines takes no skills. supressing enemy fire while delivering combat life saving to your OIC while he bleeds out requires no skill....

Fuck im completly skillless. I only got a 89 on the ASVAB but i still picked door kicker, i guess when Marines get out of the Corps they might as well file unemployment and sit on the couch they have no skills.

As to the original poster of this thread..

Pick a job you want and stick to it, the recruiters will work with you if they know your serious.. if you want to know anything about combat related jobs except ARTY pm me, ive been a MP in first enlistmen and am a 03 now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CE1371</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Jong is on the money and so is nock

Ledzep, I'm sure you're a good marine but it's obvious that you're also a kool-aid-drinking boot who probably walks around with a Marine Corps logo on your sweatshirt and a "tactical pack" on your back as you ride the bus to Waffle House. Nothing wrong with that, it's all part lf being a junior marine. People who make negative comments about other branches and reserve or national guard components have obviously never deployed because if they had, they would know that everyone has their good and bad apples. That includes active marine infantry - some of whom are shitbags and others who are better men with bigger balls than I. Hair cuts and pressed uniforms don't mean shit in combat </div></div>

Don't get me wrong, I know a lot of great guys that are reservists, and I'm not saying that they're all shitheads. And if you think I'm a motivater, I must've given the wrong impression. I do not adore the Marine Corps, and will not re-enlist, nor seek any form of federal employment ever again.

All I'm saying is that I expect something a few steps above "scraggly civilian" from everyone in the military, and just a little bit higher from Marines, and I often don't see it when the reservists come in with 2-4" all around their head, and wear boots/utes with a cover, stuff trousers into their boots... I get the feeling they're not training for "specops" stuff. I really couldn't care less if they do it. I'm saying I don't want to be associated with that, and there are better ways to get your college and get more out of it if being a Marine is what you're going for.

I will give you that I've been in DC for the last 3 years in the presidential support program, so the group of guys I'm with are 100% good to go. Shitbags are weeded out almost entirely, and looking good is important on account of who we work around, so my perception may be skewed. I do promise that I don't own any tactical packs or moto sweatshirts besides the standard issue.

wink.gif

get a waiver for vaccines from the recruiter. the military uses troops for testing experimental drugs not yet approved for use.

If you want to be a Marine, then joining any other branch of service will NOT accomplish that title for you, bud. Ignore all the shoulda-been's, coulda-been's, woulda-been's but truly are never gonna-be's.

It's called Marine-envy. And nearly every member of another service has some story as to how they were "going to join the Marines, but..." It even rears its ugly head in a thread here on the Hide.

I was a Marine Recruiter for three years of my 12. A good one. Still in touch with a lot of the Marines I assisted in their getting there. Nearly every kid I ever put in anything other than infantry got in and wished he was a grunt later. That's where the Marine Corps experience IS. However, it's not for everyone. Not even my son. He became an I.T. specialist. My step-son is a Avionics Tech - wishes he was a grunt.

I appreciate ALL other branches of service and you will to. Not everyone yearns to be a Marine. Sounds like you do. Only one cure for that without a lifetime of regret.

My ONE regret: Each and every day I kick myself for...

Getting OUT. If you join, NEVER get out.

Semper Fi,

Ssgt. M.A. Taylor