• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Powder measure advice

Charlie Papa

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 4, 2005
Rural TN
I am in need of a micrometer-type powder measure and would like to save the headache and wasted money of not knowing what will work well for me. Anybody want to weigh in on what kind of powder measure works well for them? I'm using it for 308 and 260 loading, H4350 and Varget, so daling mainly with the big extruded granules.

I have an old RCBS and was thinking about getting a micrometer insert, but there's a Hornady group buy going on, so considering the lock n load as well. Thanks for any advice!

CP

Re: Powder measure advice

First off, using a micrometer on a powder drop with extruded powders does not guarantee accurate throws. They may get you close, but you still will have to weigh each charge and trickle the balance. I use the Redding 3BR. With powders like H4895, Varget and RL15, I am close to .2 grains of variance between throws. But with the heavy powders like H1000, that variance really opens up to over a grain. Like I said, just know that you can get close, but be prepared to under throw and trickle the rest.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: palmik</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First off, using a micrometer on a powder drop with extruded powders does not guarantee accurate throws. They may get you close, but you still will have to weigh each charge and trickle the balance. I use the Redding 3BR. With powders like H4895, Varget and RL15, I am close to .2 grains of variance between throws. But with the heavy powders like H1000, that variance really opens up to over a grain. Like I said, just know that you can get close, but be prepared to under throw and trickle the rest. </div></div>

+1

If you find a measure that can throw long grained extruded powder charges +/- .1 EVERY TIME, let us know, because I sure would love to have one!

My Uniflow is very sensitive to how hard, and how many times I rap the lever against its stop before throwing a charge. I've found the best repeatability by rapping it hard against the stop on the upstroke, then a second light tap. With this method, I can usually keep inside a +/- .2 window. I do have occassional fliers.

so with the above two posts in mind, which are correct...why waste money? Buy a Lee Perfect Powder Measure for $20. That cheezy little thing throws as well as any mid-range measure.

You are going to have to weigh charges anyway. The lee gets you close and just trickle from there. It's Lee or Harrell's for me. Anything in between is a waste of money.

+1 on Harrell's.
Expensive but well worth the $$$.
Buy direct from Harrell's. They are great to deal with.
On another note, I have long ago found that consistency on your part when throwing charges from any powder measure is the key to getting the best results. Yes, that means right down to the speed and smoothness of pulling the handle.
And as to your RCBS, I get very consistent measures with mine.

Thanks, guys. Yes, I should have mentioned that I know nothing is going to be accurate enough for my liking with the big extruded powders. I just want something that I can record the setting for often-used powder and weight combinations to get me just under, and trickle up, without wasting a lot of time messing with the insert.

long time user of H4831, H4350 and Varget---

this is why I am now experimenting with ball powders...now I have kids and a full time job, a house, chores, a high maintenence woman
smile.gif
JK....I would rather spend my free time shooting than weighing out every freakin charge....

For accurite and fast there is only one choice, Gen 2 Prometheus!

Changing powder is an option, some of the VV powder id very good in a .308 and is fine grained for an accurate throw. Look into VV140 as a .308 powder it is a good one.

Redding 3BR for Varget and RL15. Throws close, but trickle up the last couple of tenths is the way to go for consistency.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so with the above two posts in mind, which are correct...why waste money? Buy a Lee Perfect Powder Measure for $20. That cheezy little thing throws as well as any mid-range measure.

You are going to have to weigh charges anyway. The lee gets you close and just trickle from there. It's Lee or Harrell's for me. Anything in between is a waste of money. </div></div>

+1

I went this route on a whim and was pleasently surprised with the ease of adjustment and consistancy with Varget. So much so that I ordered a second one for IMR-4895. It doesn't take long to adjust charge weights, but for $20 I'd rather just have the measure set and save myself the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sunburned</div><div class="ubbcode-body">These are consistent, if nothing else:

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/item.asp?sku=0000690100 </div></div>

You know, that's really not a bad idea for working up small batches at the range. If I'm going to trickle up anyway, it would certainly be easier than setting up a powder measure, and just as fast. Definitely cheaper and lighter weight!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: himaster</div><div class="ubbcode-body">so with the above two posts in mind, which are correct...why waste money? Buy a Lee Perfect Powder Measure for $20. That cheezy little thing throws as well as any mid-range measure.

You are going to have to weigh charges anyway. The lee gets you close and just trickle from there. It's Lee or Harrell's for me. Anything in between is a waste of money.</div></div>

That's a valid point, but you still need accuracy to consistently under throw a charge. The 3BR does throw the skinnier powders like H4895 and Benchmark very accurately

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Charlie Pappa</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have an old RCBS and was thinking about getting a micrometer insert, but there's a Hornady group buy going on, so considering the lock n load as well. Thanks for any advice!

CP</div></div>

The RCBS Uniflow and Hornady LNL powder throw are close to the same thing. I wouldn't spend money on one when you already have the other. More cost effective to buy the micrometer for the Uniflow. Unless of course you want/need 2 powder throws.

I have both the Hornady and RCBS and they work almost exactly the same. The drum on them is even the same screw spacing on the side... I have the RCBS on my L-N-L progressive right now and the linkage fit perfect.