• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing pre 64 bottom metal?

stephen_allen

Private
Minuteman
Jul 26, 2011
Houston, Texas
I have a true pre 64 Winchester Model 70 (manuf. 1957 I think) being built up by Mike Bush right now. Rebarreling from .243 to .308, McMillan HTG, Bartlein barrel, and the only thing we are waiting on is bottom metal from Williams which is backordered.

Does anyone know of any other bottom metal that can be used? At this point I would take a one piece floor plate, detachable mag...I dont care. Will the detachable mag system from a newer controlled round feed FN action work?

Thanks for the help.

Re: pre 64 bottom metal?

Sunny Hill bottom metal is good for per64 mod70's, 1ST rate.
I think Mcmillan made per64 mod70 bottom metal

There may be a well known AI magazine compatible bottom metal manufacturer offering a pre '64 DBM in the near future.

A well known AI DBM for a real pre-64 mod 70 L/A, I know I would buy more than a couple I've been buy I have been buying pre-64 mod 70's since 1990.

They don't as of yet. but that is who will be in the future.

Im pretty sure they do, I talked to Jeff a while back about a bottom metal for my FN which is a Winny Pre 64. I just saw someone else the other day that makes them. I cant remember if it was accurate mags or who it was but there are a few options out there.

I may be in error but i believe that the FN is in the style of the pre-64 but is not a pre-64. The action lengths are different as well as some other subtleties. Possibly someone with more knowledge could shed some light of the subject. If in fact, they are the same there would be alot more options to go with. I wonder why Jeff would want my rifle to build a new bottom metal from if they were the same?