• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision AR/SPR question ...

steppenwolf

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 28, 2008
midwest
Question for the <span style="font-weight: bold">SPR/precision ARs experts</span>, ...

The set-up is an AR with a <span style="font-weight: bold">free-floated 18" 5.56mm stainless barrel, w/ 1-7 twist</span>.

I'm looking for some knowledge/experience-based recommendations regarding <span style="font-weight: bold">choice of FH/compensator/muzzle brake</span>, the primary goal being one that will enhance accuracy - or at least not degrade it.

Ammo shot will be the heavier match/OTM type loads (e.g., 75gn & 77gn .223/5.56). Also, a suppressor will not be used on this rifle.

I'm looking at various FHs/comps/MBs for the barrel.

I've been told that selection of one for a precision tube is important because different FHs/comps/MBs can improve or hinder accuracy on a precision AR/SPR. Wondered if the experts here could confirm or debunk that, along with your recommendations, if any.

Options I'm considering are:

- ACC Blackout FH;

- Surefire MB556K brake;

- Smith Vortex;

- Vltor A1 FS;

- YHM Phantom 5C2 comp/FS.

Can anyone advise on their experience with any of the above on an unsurpressed precision AR/SPR (regardless of whether your "SPR" rig is set up true to MOD specs ...).

Thanks for the assistance ...

Re: Precision AR/SPR question ...

I simply cannot see how attaching anything to the muzzle of an otherwise accurate barrel can actually augment its accuracy in any way.

Further, I cannot see how an ordinary but naked barrel will become an extraordinary barrel with the addition of some doodad at the muzzle.

Before people come back and say, "well you can get back on target quicker..." I would rather take an extra second and get a better shot out of the barrel.

If your rifle is shooting very well now, you will only compromise its accuracy by adding something at the end. But that's just my opinion.

I run brake's on just about all my rifle's. I like them. If installed correctly there should be no degrading of accuracy. Most of my precision rifles I own or have owned (TRG-22,Tikka's,etc.) would shoot 1/2" five shot groups or better at 100yrds with a brake.

Will they make a rifle more accurate? Not the RIFLE...but they may make YOU shoot better...less recoil, faster follow up shots,etc.

I use a JP Vtac upper on one of my AR's and really like the brake it has on it. Does it shoot like my bolt guns? Nope...I get honest 1/2 - 3/4" five shot groups with it though.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Before people come back and say, "well you can get back on target quicker..." I would rather take an extra second and get a better shot out of the barrel.</div></div>

Depends on what you are doing. At a 3-gun match it could be the difference between winning and loosing.

I have heard a claim that the Vortex can slightly improve accuracy. I haven't shot my precision rig enough to verify anything though. The Surefire brake is apparently quite popular with 3gun shooters from what I've seen. A lot of SPR types use the Ops Inc brake, could be another option.

I shoot a Michlick (sp) brake on mine, as I cannot have a suppressor in the Republic of Illinois. Don't know about enhancing accuracy but it doesn't hinder it. 1/2 MOA rifle.

Just remember, we are talking about a .223 here and it's supposed to be a precision rifle.

Any muzzle brake or compensator that is applied too tightly will tend to trumpet the muzzle ever-so-slightly (enough to screw your precision potential).

If you use one put it on hand-tight and Red Lock-tite it.

The best brake will keep your muzzle down without destroying your hearing (even with double-protection). If you were to use one in combat make sure it doesn't blow stuff up all around you (dust and veg).

The OPS INC collar and brake system is a known quantity, and correct for the type of rifle. I would look no further.