• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Precision rifle stock of choice - Magpul PRS alternatives

frankprstw

Private
Minuteman
Oct 24, 2020
California
Hi guys

Looking for butt stock for my Centurion Arms build, Magpul PRS is nice but on the heavy side.
Found some after searching:

IMI ASB: Looks nice, slick and adjustable, weighs 20 Oz but no review, anybody got first hand experience on it?

Luth-AR MBA-1: Light weight and full of features, but is it sturdy? Does it snag dust or stuff given the uneven, notchy exterior?

Seekins Precision ProComp 10x Ray: Weighs 19.6Oz with tool less cheek piece and spacer LOP adjustment

Is there any other choices?

Thanks
Francis

Reactions: EN2722
I picked up a V11 pro a couple years ago for a song in a trade and semi recently tried to turn it into a DMR etc and a hunting rig in w/ a 6.5g upper. I picked up the Luth -3. I liked the stock but only used it on 2 range trips. It was adjustable and allowed you to tighten it down with an Allen key so it was not adjustable. I don’t think it would snag as it isn’t much different than the stock on my savage long range hunter. Adjustable cheek weld that is.

I sold the rifle in stock form in all this craziness. I liked the luth-3 but not sure on the concept. I have a couple lowers with a STR? Stock and for a hunting rig is more my style. I have the PRS on my 20” AR10 (10lbs) and like it but apples and oranges.

If weight and price don't matter, I like the PRS over the MBA-1. The PRS has a nicer recoil pad, adjustments are easy when shooting (not that the MBA has very difficult adjustments), it's overall more sturdy (the MBA's cheek riser is a but flexy) and better fit and finish. Although, the MBA-1 has more cheek riser adjustment and was $100 less expensive last time I purchased a stock $85 vs. ~$185.

I've been curious to try the FAB Defense RAPS, but went with the less costly MBA-1 instead.

It looks like the IMI is setup for a carbine buffer tube. I wonder if it would work with A5 buffer tube. If not, I'd skip it for a precision stock that worked with a rifle buffer tube.

I have a BNIB Seekins 10X-Ray if you decide to go that route. It's very solid, runs on a rifle buffer tube.

I ran the FAB Defense RAPS on my 20" 6.5 Grendel build for a while. Ended up replacing it with the B5 Precision Stock.

What didn't you like about the RAPS?
Only thing I didn't like was the cheek riser had a tendency to unlock and move down if you put a lot of downward force on it. The adjustment/locking mechanisms are kinda wonky.

Reactions: Neurotic
That's pretty bad...

I was hoping the quick adjust LOP could be used to help fit a 22" barreled rifle into a normal sized bag more easily.

B5 systems is pretty nice, its going on my next build. But for not I like my UBR.

PRS is just a bit too heavy for me

I prefer the simplicity of an A1 or A2 as a fixed stock on an 18" or longer barreled AR.