• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Precision Rifle Tripod rest

Hawk in WY

Private
Minuteman
Sep 20, 2013
Jackson Hole, WY
Looking for something more stable than current Bog Pod shooting sticks.

Hunting mainly from a hide over sage brush.

Pig saddle on adjustable tripod seems a step up in stability.

Weight not really a concern.

Rapid adjustment from sitting, kneeling, to standing is important.

Prone is is not an option.

Interested in in your recommendations.

Thank you in advance.

I use a Shadowtech PIG0311 tripod with RRS BH-40 ballhead and a Hogsaddle with an RRS arca plate made for the Hogsaddle. Very stable and allows accurate engagements past 500 yds.
My 12yr old daughter used it to take a nice muley opening morning at 540yds last weekend.

If you can go direct attach to a ballhead it gets even more stable, but you'll need a chassis/handguard with an Arca plate attached or an Arca plate screwed to your fiberglass stock.

IMO Rapid adjustment from sitting, kneeling, to standing and tripod don’t belong in the same sentence. It is definitely a superior shooting platform, but fast it is not.

If wieght is not an issue, any heavy enough aluminum tripod should do the trick, but having shot off both I prefer carbon fiber. They seem to handle the recoil impulse better. The weak point of a tripod setup is in the head.

I never liked any of the ball heads I tried, So I started using a HOG saddle directly attached to the Tripod.

I highly recommend the carbon fiber tripod from PRST and a HOG Saddle direct attach without any ball head. It’s a very stable platform.

As stated above, rapid transition to different positions with a tripod doesn't happen. But with a good pan and tilt head you shouldn't have to. I use the Reaper Grip, and heavy Slik tripod for my .338 LM. Very smooth tracking, and solid lock up. IMG_20170108_132519245.jpg

Hi all, I’ve been eyeing up the hog saddle for a long time. I see there are a few more options available now.

Are you guys still using your listed equipment? Anyone else got an option which they feel works better?
I have a tripod and head, the v rest on top just doesn’t cut it really.

:)