• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Hunting & Fishing Predator hunting with the nephew ?'s

fastone20

Private
Minuteman
Im hoping to learn a little bit so here goes nothing.

My nephew went with me to Cabela's the other day (he loves that store) and at 12yo. he is really taking an interest in predator hunting, primarily coyote. This is WAY outside my element but I want to help him learn and gain some insight myself so we can share a hobby. While walking through the store we looked at every call/decoy they had and realized I dont know a damn thing about any of them. (We did pick him up a primos double cottontail call for giggles and to aid in annoying his parents and let him feel like progress will be made)

Now to the question. What calls/decoys are necessary and work well. Do I need to drop $400-$600 on a nice digital caller or are the reed calls just as effective? Guess im just kinda looking for a direction or where to start.

Re: Predator hunting with the nephew ?'s

I cant tell you much myself, But You are looking for a guy on here named Skinny. He is one of the big coyote hunters and has a ton of very cool kills on video. You should pick one up to watch with your nephew. Good luck and way to keep the next generation involved.

I have owned about every call out there. Open, Closed, and Electric.

Get yourself a good closed read call, many out there that work very well. Too many I like to use.

Get a Talley Ho, Crit R Call, Fox Pro Lil Skyote, and a Verminator Predator Tweety Open and play around with em. (About all I use for open calls anymore)

For electronic I use Burnham Brothers Compu Caller III and the Foxpro Firestorm (Custom).

You don't need to run an electric call for success but they darn sure have there benefits.

Use the terrain, sun and wind to your benefit. As important as what call you are using to call with.
Camo up, but remember, don't move.

Decent place to shop: http://www.allpredatorcalls.com/

Something else to consider is going with someone who currently calls. I take new callers all the time and get such a kick out of getting something coming in as I do the kill anymore. Then again, I gotta have mine as well.

One other thing, I like to use a "feather on a stick" as in some areas such as flat country with little cover it helps keep the predators att'n. I make my own (Turkey feather, spiderwire fishing line, fishing swivel, and a camo arrow) Let it flutter in the wind as an attractant.

Shooting sticks: I use them a lot. I use these: http://www.topratedadventures.com/Mfg/PredatorSniperStyx.htm

One of my favorite cat's!
1-4-10Cat1.jpg

Another pic of equipment used:
IMG_2239.jpg

I concur with Gunner. Closed reed calls work well and easy to blow. Don't worry about what you sound like, everyone is unique in calling and a little different sound won't hurt.

Be still and watch your wind. Feather on a stick works well if its a bit breezy. Mojo critter or another decoy works like it also work well just to get their attention on that instead of you, but not necessary.

Good luck!

+1 on starting out with a closed reed. They're so simple to start with. Only other advice would be to watch downwind. I've had a lot of yotes circle around to get my wind and if I or someone else hadn't been watching we would've gotten busted. I take my younger cousins a lot. They haven't connected yet, but we've had some action. Seems like it's a lot easier to get people into predator hunting since you change locations frequently and every time the call fires up it's a whole new ballgame.

There are several on here that call. I'm sure you will get some more info.

Some great info already from Gunner, Scott, and others. Skinney is a yote whackin machine too so you will get some good info from him as well.

#1 thing is get out there and try! Don't get discouraged,it can take some time to be successful.