• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Preferred barrel blanks (the company)

Oh that’s great news to hear Peterson’s is making 6 Dasher brass. I had the Norma 6 Dasher chamber so I kinda screwed myself. But I lucked out and it was easy to convert to the 6GT by just opening up the chamber. I’m very happy with the 6GT so far. I really like Peterson’s brass, I run it for my 6.5 Creedmoor hunting rifle.

I have 600 of the Peterson 6.5 Creedmoor brass and have been really happy with it so far. I didn't want to fireform and decided against the 6GT because I haven't had issues feeding 22BR out of the magazines I already have. Alpha OCD Dasher brass wasn't out yet, so I decided on giving Peterson a shot. Didn't seem like there is much to gain with using more powder in the GT over the Dasher.

The Peterson necks are thicker than Lapua, so the .275 neck ought to give me the clearance that I need. If it shoots 1/2 moa that will be good enough for me for shooting off of props and barricades.

Where did you get the information that they don't hand lap? When you go to the barrel material options on their website the first sentence reads "All McGowen barrels are precision button rifled, stress relieved and hand lapped to ensure consistency and ease of cleaning." FYI for all, my McGowen was $330, threaded, chambered, contoured and crowned, I didn't do muzzle threads. I've paid $330 for a blank before. Shipping is about 30 bucks. Very affordable barrels.
I’m referring to preferred barrel blanks

Reactions: archangel485
I'm curious, since you ordered for a Tikka, did Dan or the website tell you that you need to have a Smith set the final headspace? Or do you expect to be able to just thread it on and go?

Dan recommended install by a gunsmith to check headspace. I still expect to be able to thread it on, torque it, and go. I WILL be using headspace gauges, to check, however.

I'm curious, since you ordered for a Tikka, did Dan or the website tell you that you need to have a Smith set the final headspace? Or do you expect to be able to just thread it on and go?

Seems like I saw a post somewhere else about someone just threading on the McGowen and rocking it. There is also this video:

Seems like I saw a post somewhere else about someone just threading on the McGowen and rocking it. There is also this video:

Excellent! Thanks for sharing this, it's greatly appreciated. I was not able to find any info like this so this gives me hope.

Meanwhile I've been bumming around on sakocollectors.com, and it seems there are several who say even these old Sakos were built with extremely tight tolerances. They say you can swap bolts between rifles anyways, which if that's true, I bet you can also swap barrels which means I might be good to go. Time will tell, I probably won't have my barrel until early March.

So they’re gtg? Their prices are pretty dang impressive for a prefit. I’m considering getting a tikka #3 sporter to convert my sako 85 to a 6.5 saum.

I've had great luck with criterion and didn't have reason to look elsewhere until recently. I wanted to get a lighter barrel to practice with my hunting rifle more in the off season. Stock is cut for a rock creek #2. Criterion wasn't willing to go lighter than the NSS sporter contour. Didn't make sense to me since their own website shows lighter contours for tikkas or barrel blanks, but they wouldn't budge.

I ordered a PBB shouldered origin prefit in 7mm-08 in their straight .750 contour. They said they could cut the shank shorter which should make it fit fine. If it shoots anything like what has been posted, I'll be very pleased. If mine is good, I'll probably order some in other calibers later. Price is very fair for shouldered and I don't need 1/4 minute for some uses. I'm hoping Mcgown and Xcaliber follow suit and offer shouldered prefits soon, seems like a no-brainer.

I have 3 of the PBB barrels. 1 with barrel nut and 2 shouldered. All .223 with different twists ( for 50-90 grainers) and all three shoot 1/2 moa or less.
The 12 twist has given me numerous groups under .200 with 52-53 gn. match projectiles.
As with my Custom built Bartlein barreled rifles, I am the limiting factor in the precision/accuracy equation.

Take the time to work up a load and tune it properly.

Reactions: 260284
I’ve been wanting a 22 Creed for a while- I’m definitely tempted to go with a PBB shouldered prefit for my TL3!

Reactions: blksno
I have 3 of the PBB barrels. 1 with barrel nut and 2 shouldered. All .223 with different twists ( for 50-90 grainers) and all three shoot 1/2 moa or less.
The 12 twist has given me numerous groups under .200 with 52-53 gn. match projectiles.
As with my Custom built Bartlein barreled rifles, I am the limiting factor in the precision/accuracy equation.

Take the time to work up a load and tune it properly.

Good to know, when I get need a new barrel for my 25-06 I'll be getting PBB due to them offering faster twists than most others

Mcgowen does offer shouldered prefits for Tikka actions.

Yep! I should take delivery of one in about a month chambered in 6mm CM. Got tired of waiting on Tikka to produce a 6CM and this one should be about 100 100 fps faster than a factory Tikka Barrel anyways.

@Schw15 I can't answer your question for sure, but their site doesn't mention it, so I'd guess no. It would likely be marketed otherwise. That said I took some pictures of my bore, maybe they'll help you. There are some definite tooling marks, especially in the chamber, but overall it still looks pretty smooth to my untrained eye. I have a PVA barrel that I can't say looked particularly better than this but again, no expert here. This will be good enough for what I'm going to use it for.

Photo_6.jpg
Photo_8.jpg
Photo_9.jpg
Photo_10.jpg
Photo_11.jpg
Photo_12.jpg

Looks like they are offering carbon barrels now for an additional $350. They also increased thread pricing from $65 to $80.

Reactions: waspocrew
Looks like they are offering carbon barrels now for an additional $350. They also increased thread pricing from $65 to $80.
That's what I've been waiting for. Glad it's finally an option.

Price is very similar price to a proof cut rifle. Unless I needed something proof doesn't offer, I know which way I'd go.
Yeah, I agree. Price could be slightly better given its a button. However, they do off tons of options so...

Yeah, I agree. Price could be slightly better given its a button. However, they do off tons of options so...
Yep. The proof prefits are a good buy (steel and carbon) but the options are pretty well limited to the extremely popular cartridges (creed, PRC etc) and a couple of contours. I've noticed retailers have actually picked up proof prefits so if you wanted the right thing the lead time would be zero.

1610733552884.png

^Their carbon wrapped barrels. I am being quoted for a 6.5MM Blank 22" @44oz which is LIGHT

Do I go PBB Carbon for $790 or Bartlein Left Gain Twist CF MOD400BB for $450 more..?

Last edited:
View attachment 7528736

^Their carbon wrapped barrels. I am being quoted for a 6.5MM Blank 22" @44oz which is LIGHT

Do I go PBB Carbon for $790 or Bartlein Left Gain Twist CF MOD400BB for $450 more..?
What's it for? For me I don't see much added value for the 57% price increase. Some probably do though, so you have to ask yourself if you need that extra edge and if it's worth the premium.

Reactions: MRiles
What's it for? For me I don't see much added value for the 57% price increase. Some probably do though, so you have to ask yourself if you need that extra edge and if it's worth the premium.
It’s for hunting and range use. My rifle with no rings/scopes should come in around 6.6lbs.

The price increase is significant but if I get the added barrel life then it will be well worth it. Plus I’ll get a left gain twist cut rifle vs a button rifle.

I pulled the trigger last night on a shouldered Preferred barrel for a Defiance Tenacity .308 build. Almost bought a McGrowan but Preferred Barrel Blanks put the Defiance shouldered barrels back on their site yesterday from what I can tell. It'll be a few months, but as soon as I get it, I'll post a video here of the bore.

Last edited:
I have two on order as well
6mm Creed 7 twist and a 300blk 5 twist.

Did I miss...
Who's actually making their rifled blanks?
Their carbon wrapped blanks?

Do they make them in house from bar stock or are they getting them from a 3rd party?

Finished up a ladder test and got 5 rounds loaded up. Friday night I had the chance to shoot them and here are my results. I'll take a group like this any day, 4 in one hole and an outsider, with the outsider it's just a touch under a 1/2" group at 100 yds. ES was 11, SD was 4.7 on this group. Looking forward to trying it on some long range stuff soon. The target is what I had available, it's not exactly official but it works, make fun of it if you must. :)

20210130_063611.jpg

Reactions: waspocrew
Finished up a ladder test and got 5 rounds loaded up. Friday night I had the chance to shoot them and here are my results. I'll take a group like this any day, 4 in one hole and an outsider, with the outsider it's just a touch under a 1/2" group at 100 yds. ES was 11, SD was 4.7 on this group. Looking forward to trying it on some long range stuff soon. The target is what I had available, it's not exactly official but it works, make fun of it if you must. :)

View attachment 7543556
Off to a great start! Remind me- which cartridge did you go with?

Reactions: Stoweit
Off to a great start! Remind me- which cartridge did you go with?
The 7SST (Sherman short tactical). You doing the 22 creed in carbon? I don't think these barrels are hand lapped but after I took those pictures of it with a bore scope and shot this group I don't really care that they're not.

Last edited:
The 7SST (Sherman short tactical). You doing the 22 creed in carbon? I don't think these barrels are hand lapped but after I took those pictures of it with a bore scope and shot this group I don't really care that they're not.

Great round! I’m still on the fence about ordering a PBB, but reports like yours are pushing me in the right direction!

View attachment 7543556
Very nice group, did you notice the barrel moving on you once it heats up? PPB states that they stress relieve their barrels so I'm curious.

Very nice group, did you notice the barrel moving on you once it heats up? PPB states that they stress relieve their barrels so I'm curious.
It was about 40F outside, and it's an MTU contour, and I only shot 10 rounds (shot 5 from a different node first that were okay, but not as good as this node), granted fairly warm rounds, but still I doubt it heated up any substantial amount.

It was about 40F outside, and it's an MTU contour, and I only shot 10 rounds (shot 5 from a different node first that were okay, but not as good as this node), granted fairly warm rounds, but still I doubt it heated up any substantial amount.
What was load? Bullet? Powder? Speed?

They also increased thread pricing from $65 to $80.
Is threading a barrel really so difficult that they have to charge now $80 for it? SJA does it for not even $20 and I know I've seen others who will do it for free... I know for a barrel $440 is already a great deal but still..

Is threading a barrel really so difficult that they have to charge now $80 for it? SJA does it for not even $20 and I know I've seen others who will do it for free... I know for a barrel $440 is already a great deal but still..
Sja barrels are also 200 more than the competition other wise, it’s built in. There’s no free picnic no matter how they pack it.

Last edited:
I still haven’t found a reason to wrap a piece of pipe in carbon.

That you’d pay 350$ to make it heavier makes no sense.

The old saying “fools and money are soon parted”

Reactions: wind gypsy
I still haven’t found a reason to wrap a piece of pipe in carbon.

That you’d pay 350$ to make it heavier makes no sense.

The old saying “fools and money are soon parted”
Make it heavier? I've not done carbon myself but pretty sure the primary, perhaps the sole reason people are willing to pay for carbon barrels is to make it lighter.

Make it heavier vs just using a super light profile steel barrel.

The reason people do it is stiffness. Some people like to run a light weight barrel without having their zero wander after 3 shots.

Make it heavier vs just using a super light profile steel barrel.

The reason people do it is stiffness. Some people like to run a light weight barrel without having their zero wander after 3 shots.
You don't have to use a super light contour steel barrel to match the stiffness of CF wrapped.
Various tests show that a #3 contour is stiffer than a CF sendero.

I had two barrels from PBB that shot all over the place.
They gave me a 16" 6.5 saum for free when I sent my last dud back to them.
It took 3 months for the replacement and then I found out the neck diameter was under sized. Turned out their reamer was out of spec, so I shipped it back and they re-chamberered it for me.
I got it back a few weeks ago and this barrel is showing promise, I have a little more testing to do but so far it looks like a winner

Reactions: 260284
Guys who have recently received prefits... when did you order them? I ordered a RPR prefit in the middle of December, so I still have a few weeks until I'm into the lead time they quoted. I'm just curious if the lead times they quote are accurate or not.

I ordered 12/15 and the site said 10-12 weeks at the time. Puts me in week 7. I believe you get an email when you barrel has started production and then it's a few weeks/month from there.

Make it heavier? I've not done carbon myself but pretty sure the primary, perhaps the sole reason people are willing to pay for carbon barrels is to make it lighter.
How does wrapping a piece of pipe in carbon make it lighter? It’s helium??

Doesn’t make sense.

How does wrapping a piece of pipe in carbon make it lighter? It’s helium??

Doesn’t make sense.

Because they turn down the diameter of a heavy barrel in the middle section and leave both ends. Then wrap with carbon fiber back to those diameters. Replacing the metal with carbon fiber. This makes it lighter for the same dimensions or contour.