• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Preferred barrel blanks (the company)

How does wrapping a piece of pipe in carbon make it lighter? It’s helium??

Doesn’t make sense.
Carbon is lighter than stainless, so for a given contour, a carbon barrel is significantly lighter than a stainless one. @srt-4_uk stated it well in post 343, but people aren't adding carbon to add weight, they're paying to add stiffness.

I ordered 12/15 and the site said 10-12 weeks at the time. Puts me in week 7. I believe you get an email when you barrel has started production and then it's a few weeks/month from there.
Mine was exactly 10 weeks from day of order to day of shipment. They did send a couple progress emails along the way. At 7 weeks I got an email with the subject "Just a Heads up Your Barrel Has Entered Production" and at 10 weeks I got an email with the subject "Heads up Your Barrel is Nearing Completion" then it shipped 2 days later. If you're are doing cerakote or something it might take a while longer after that second email.

Carbon is lighter than stainless, so for a given contour, a carbon barrel is significantly lighter than a stainless one. @srt-4_uk stated it well in post 343, but people aren't adding carbon to add weight, they're paying to add stiffness.
Have never seen a carbon barrel. Laffin.

Proof stainless tikka prefit, vs proof carbon tikka prefit.

They weigh the same. They shoot the same.

What’s the carbon doing besides making ur wallet lighter?

I’ll fvck off from the conversation and report back when my barrel shows up. That Logan guy who got ran off I think screwed up my order, but we’ll see when it shows up.

I’ll fvck off from the conversation and report back when my barrel shows up. That Logan guy who got ran off I think screwed up my order, but we’ll see when it shows up.
For a given volume the carbon barrel will be lighter. Compare apples to apples dude/quit trolling.

Yes, 1 lb of carbon weighs the same as 1 lb of steel.

No, a cubic foot of carbon does not weigh the same as a cubic foot of steel. Obvious weight savings.

Proof sendero weighs 2lb 10 ox but finishes at .936 muzzle diameter
1612384067944.png

Proof steel- weights 2lb 7 oz so its technically lighter but its finishing at .644 inches.
1612384103918.png

Notice that the carbon is a thicker contour. If the steel were .963 at the muzzle instead of .644 it sure as shit wouldnt be the same weight.

SO lets look at one that does end up about the same external dimensions as the carbon and we get 4lb 13oz
1612384410462.png

That steel weighing 77oz total is 183% heavier than the carbon comparable which weighs 42 oz total.

Last edited:
I ordered 12/15 and the site said 10-12 weeks at the time. Puts me in week 7. I believe you get an email when you barrel has started production and then it's a few weeks/month from there.

Mine was exactly 10 weeks from day of order to day of shipment. They did send a couple progress emails along the way. At 7 weeks I got an email with the subject "Just a Heads up Your Barrel Has Entered Production" and at 10 weeks I got an email with the subject "Heads up Your Barrel is Nearing Completion" then it shipped 2 days later. If you're are doing cerakote or something it might take a while longer after that second email.
Thanks both of you guys. I’m right at the same time as Another Casual, so hopefully it’ll enter production soon. I’m happy to hear that their published lead times are accurate.

What happened to logan? He is the guy from desertshooter

he got run off.

he was kind of a fag when i talked to him in november. maybe he knew he was on the outs. who knows. dealing with joe q. public day in and day out isn't for amateurs.

Figured I’d bump this up, looking to use Preferred for a 300 win mag rebarrel to 30 Nosler. Anyone have pictures of a 20-22 inch .750 straight contour?

I ordered a 6 Dasher shouldered barrel for my Tikka on December 3rd. I went with a 900 Varmint 26" with the flats for my comp rifle. They are doing a .275" neck for the Peterson Dasher brass. I will let you know when it shows up. The order confirmation says 10-12 weeks or longer.
My barrel showed up today, 1 day short of the 12 weeks. Looks great, but it may be awhile before I get to test it out. My dishwasher sprang a leak the week of Christmas and I am getting ready to tackle replacing all my flooring. Looking like it will evolve into several more remodel projects before I am done.

Guys who have recently received prefits... when did you order them? I ordered a RPR prefit in the middle of December, so I still have a few weeks until I'm into the lead time they quoted. I'm just curious if the lead times they quote are accurate or not.
Got mine today and tomorrow would have been 12 weeks.

Got mine today and tomorrow would have been 12 weeks.
When did you place your order? I ordered a barrel from them nov 27th and still have nothing. Approximately 7 weeks ago I received a email and phone call of my barrel being in production but now I haven’t heard anything.

Running into a weird issue, ordered a shouldered barrel in 6.5cm from preferred last year, got it in and shot it a bit and everything was fine. Went to mount a can on it and it turns out the barrel threading is SUPER non-concentric with the bore. Like it's in excess of 0.010 out and if I put a rod through with the can, the rod is almost touching the sides of the bore. It's to the point where if you pull everything off you can see that the bore is off to one side. This is a 30cal can bored to .360 and it fits perfectly on everything else I have.

I took calipers to the threads and found that the bore was 0.187 on the far side and 0.175 on the near side with all muzzle devices removed.

Should I contact preferred about this or should I just find a gunsmith to properly re-thread this thing?

IMG_20210224_171522.jpg
IMG_20210224_171643.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: wade2big
Running into a weird issue, ordered a shouldered barrel in 6.5cm from preferred last year, got it in and shot it a bit and everything was fine. Went to mount a can on it and it turns out the barrel threading is SUPER non-concentric with the bore. Like it's in excess of 0.010 out and if I put a rod through with the can, the rod is almost touching the sides of the bore. It's to the point where if you pull everything off you can see that the bore is off to one side. This is a 30cal can bored to .360 and it fits perfectly on everything else I have.

I took calipers to the threads and found that the bore was 0.187 on the far side and 0.175 on the near side with all muzzle devices removed.

Should I contact preferred about this or should I just find a gunsmith to properly re-thread this thing?

View attachment 7566051View attachment 7566052
Yeah unfortunately that does not surprise me with this company, I've had 3 different barrels now with 3 different issues.
Hopefully they fix it for you, and quickly

supposedly mines going to be here by the end of the month.

gonna feed it strictly lapua factory 6br so we'll know straight away if this things any good or not

Reactions: Chaseerickson12
supposedly mines going to be here by the end of the month.

gonna feed it strictly lapua factory 6br so we'll know straight away if this things any good or not
I ordered a 6br with a 0.060" freebore on Dec 28th. Hopefully it arrives before April 1. I'll be interested to hear how yours shoots.

Reactions: Chaseerickson12
I hear all the issues with the prefits and just wonder if they have a crappy gunsmith? The barrel blanks that I have chambered and used have been on par with Other barrels in this price range. So they know how to make a good barrel. Maybe just not the Gunsmithing part

You have 2 barrels of the same contour. One is carbon wrapped the other is all steel. Obviously the carbon barrel is significantly lighter..... I’m not sure why that is hard to grasp.

Anyway, I ordered a PBB last week for my terminus in 308 match. I’ll post up when I get it.

Reactions: S3th
Barrel arrived on day 81, within the 10-12 week window. Machining is clean and is free of visible defects. The barrel shipped with break in instructions which was a pleasant surprise as my previous CBI barrels haven't, not that my process will be any different.
20210319_144759.jpg

Barrel arrived on day 81, within the 10-12 week window. Machining is clean and is free of visible defects. The barrel shipped with break in instructions which was a pleasant surprise as my previous CBI barrels haven't, not that my process will be any different.

Let's see some groups and load development on that puppy. Always curious how their 6BRs shot.

Also curious to see how it shoots.

My 7mm-08 barrel ordered 12/15/20 entered production on Wednesday, they cited a tooling shortage for 7mm.

Looking forward to screwing it on to my hunting rifle and getting some practice in with it.

Barrel arrived on day 81, within the 10-12 week window. Machining is clean and is free of visible defects. The barrel shipped with break in instructions which was a pleasant surprise as my previous CBI barrels haven't, not that my process will be any different. View attachment 7587034
What brake? Can you show a pic of the brake?

not exactly thrilled on the profile but for the price who cares.

shoots pretty decent. 5 under 1" at 150 with factory lapua 105gr

got a light blue dot load that'll put a 16gr charge behind an 80gr right at or just over 1moa for 10 shots. that's what i was after and the reason for the build. it's very fun round to shoot. holds pretty good vertical at 550 as well. handswith or so on my go to rock.

forgot to mention, cut 9/16" wrench flats for use as a switch barrel on the tikka. handy for sure.

looks a lot better then pipe wrench marks on my beater barrels.

LOL

Anybody have one of these on a mod 70/spr CRF action?
For the price this would be a great barrel.objectively is there huge benefit of cut rifling over this?, considering how well they shoot

it's heavier then a tikka ctr.

i might run a straight taperless 750 next time for a 223ai.

The benefit is that it shoots well and it's still reasonably priced.

I don't put a lot of stock in the theory of cut rifling being superior, but I'm a complete noob so don't listen to me.

My theory is that cut rifling adds the potential for variation from barrel to barrel.

Reactions: wichitaguns
The benefit is that it shoots well and it's still reasonably priced.

I don't put a lot of stock in the theory of cut rifling being superior, but I'm a complete noob so don't listen to me.

My theory is that cut rifling adds the potential for variation from barrel to barrel.
I agree. The results across a wide sample seems to show a good product that is affordable.

Anybody have one of these on a mod 70/spr CRF action?
For the price this would be a great barrel.objectively is there huge benefit of cut rifling over this?, considering how well they shoot
Can't do barrel nut prefits for CRF Win 70's as there is an extractor cut on the barrel that is located after the barrel is headspaced.

Can't do barrel nut prefits for CRF Win 70's as there is an extractor cut on the barrel that is located after the barrel is headspaced.
Yeah. I was thinking of just getting a blank and sending it to LRI with the action

An update for those who are curious about lead time. I ordered a shouldered prefit on January 5th, I got notification that it has entered production yesterday the 24th. That’s 11 weeks and a day, or 78 days depending on how you mark time. I’m looking forward to finishing my build.

it's heavier then a tikka ctr.

i might run a straight taperless 750 next time for a 223ai.

I'll post when I get my 7mm-08 barrel. My hunting rifle has a rock creek #2 in 6.5 PRC. Did the math and their straight 750 should fit my stock with the shorter breach I requested. I wish they offered actual sporter contours, straight 750 is as close as they get.

Made it to the range today with my PBB Remage in 6br. All the ammo that was shot were left overs from my last barrel so no load development has been done. Im honestly not sure if the 105s are Nosler Custom Comps or Match Burners but they are all gone now. The barrel shows a lot of promise! Now to the bench for some load workup.
Screenshot_20210326-204651_Range Buddy.jpg
Screenshot_20210326-204846_Range Buddy.jpg
Screenshot_20210326-205133_Range Buddy.jpg

I got a shipping notification for my shouldered prefit today. That puts it at 13 weeks and a day or 92 days. Never mind, it didn't ship.

Last edited:
I'll post when I get my 7mm-08 barrel. My hunting rifle has a rock creek #2 in 6.5 PRC. Did the math and their straight 750 should fit my stock with the shorter breach I requested. I wish they offered actual sporter contours, straight 750 is as close as they get.
I thought the #1 sporter was pretty light as well. That's what I ordered anyways. It's exactly the same as a Bartlein 2B.

I thought the #1 sporter was pretty light as well. That's what I ordered anyways. It's exactly the same as a Bartlein 2B.
The rock creek contours run pretty light. The preferred #1 and the bart 2B are closer to a rock creek #4. My straight 750 showed up this week and looks less awkward than I expected. Fits the stock without any sanding too. I won't get it shoot it until next weekend, but I'll make a post once I do.

7mm-08 straight 750 at 26" with a 0.5" shorter breach weighs 3 lbs 2 oz. Not bad for something you could thread the muzzle on. It is a little more nose heavy than my #2, but that was expected without the taper.

Reactions: 260284
The rock creek contours run pretty light. The preferred #1 and the bart 2B are closer to a rock creek #4. My straight 750 showed up this week and looks less awkward than I expected. Fits the stock without any sanding too. I won't get it shoot it until next weekend, but I'll make a post once I do.

7mm-08 straight 750 at 26" with a 0.5" shorter breach weighs 3 lbs 2 oz. Not bad for something you could thread the muzzle on. It is a little more nose heavy than my #2, but that was expected without the taper.
How long did it take you to receive it once it entered production?

Is anyone waiting on a Tikka 6.5 Creedmoor barrel going to run the VG6 Lambda?
Also, does anyone running this brake a have an opinion on it?
IMG_4941-2.JPG

Nope, that one is going to blow dirt in your face with ports on the bottom.

There are no ports on the bottom, both sides are the same except one does not have the laser markings.

As an update, I’m near 1000 rounds in on my 6GT barrel on a lone peak action. just as a reference check when I got new rings I tested to see what groups I was getting. Still sub 1/2 moa
62C36FDA-464F-4327-A94E-D4C521DE3421.jpeg

Has anyone taken these barrels to 1 mile or more? Results? I know logan put videos of shooting beyond 1 mile and seemed to hammer just wondering from people who have done it.