• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Primer Shortage World Wide.....?

ShooterM1

Private
Minuteman
Dec 2, 2006
Ohio
Wtf? I was curious to see if shotgun primers were trickling back into existence so I did an online search to find out. I was pleased to see a few online sources had them albeit a little pricey but, ok, it is what it is. Proceeded to order the I find out these are not in the US but Australia and Canada...wtf? I thought this "shortage" was industry-wide due to new gun owners, increased demand, blah blah blah, and if so, no one would have any. Why do they and we don't? Realistically, I know the answer but wtf? Pathetic! My Sunday morning rant.

Doesn’t surprise me at all. Very few , comparatively, shoot in either country compared to here and very, very few reload.

Primers are relatively easy to get in Australia. Rifle and pistol of all sizes, however I do not reload shotgun, so can not attest to that.

Reactions: Aussieusa
They won't be easy to get for long. Just takes longer in other countries that allow civilian ownership because they're all uniformly hideously more restrictive and have much smaller populations so there's only so much actual demand. South Africa is just starting to feel the pinch but not really severely yet because they spent the last year locked down really hard which pinched demand off at the base. Now that folks can get out and do stuff again it's starting to be felt. I expect Canada, Australia, New Zealand and various European countries will start feeling the pinch soon.

Lol
You couldn’t predict what was going to happen?

Upcoming election with gun grabber and extreme leftist elements.
Covid.
Riots.

I had already started ramping up acquisition of powder and primers by January of 2020 but when the latter two events started I put acquisitions into overdrive.

I even bought supplies for a bigger magnum I’ve wanted to build and am quite happy that when I did build it earlier this year I had supplies for it.

Doesn’t matter what is going on in other countries. Primers are in short supply here in the USA. Firearm panic seems to be a uniquely American phenomenon and the most recent panic dried up the supply of primers here. And, unlike matchbox cars, importing primers is not trivial.

Kind of like complaining that the island you are stranded on doesn’t have any more coconuts, even though you can see coconuts on a nearby island. But, there is a shark infested straight between you and that island, and you don’t have a boat, and you can’t swim, and you got the covid.

Here around Dallas.. shotshell primers have been in stock much more than pistol/rifle.
Luckily I was buying different powders/primers to experiment with prior to panic. I've been buying more when available all along and now have a very healthy stock of both. Nothing like army jerry but that likely applies to everyone else.

America is being "spoon fed" supplies....
As seen right here on SH a member can say he can't find "XYZ"... Immediately another person, usually a new member, replies that he can get all the "XYZ" he needs.....

The run on toilet paper was because it sold out everywhere. So, to diffuse that situation supplies are being spread around so there is no nation wide shortage.... The trap is being baited.

IMHO

Reactions: BLEE and Tx_Aggie
And assholes who dont shoot but just sell at gouging pricing.

Doc
But if one would have been prepared for this, one wouldn't have to pay price gougers prices? PreCovid and Numbnuts getting into office, there was quite a few places that had primers and powder in stock for weeks and months at a time. Never in my life have I bought anything under 5-10K primers at a time. I have no clue why anyone would buy couple of thousand primers at time when places are charging whatever they want for shipping and hazmat. Always made it worth my time when ordering powders and primers, usually always got a few friends in on it too.

We have met the enemy and it is us…
Normally there is a steady state flow of material where manufacturers make and deliver material at a rate equal to the rate of consumption. But when 10% of people start buying at rates 10x normal, it’s going to zero fast. Now if it’s 50% of people, or 75% of people trying to buy much more than they would ever use, do the math. The hoarders are the most effective gun control force ever devised.

I am a bad bad hoarder then lol , but it's better to have and not need than to need and not have . Especially when you never know when you will find them available again the ones I recently bought it had been 8 months since that store had gotten a shipment and that store owner is not thinking it will be any sooner till they get more . And reloading your own is well tedious as hell and slow at least it was for me .

But if one would have been prepared for this, one wouldn't have to pay price gougers prices? PreCovid and Numbnuts getting into office, there was quite a few places that had primers and powder in stock for weeks and months at a time. Never in my life have I bought anything under 5-10K primers at a time. I have no clue why anyone would buy couple of thousand primers at time when places are charging whatever they want for shipping and hazmat. Always made it worth my time when ordering powders and primers, usually always got a few friends in on it too.
I was prepared also, but like any crisis there will always be someone who will take advantage of the situation.

Like people who were selling cases of water in FL a few years back for like 40-50 a case. It doesnt have to be primers. There just has to be a shortage of something or another.

Doc

Do people really buy 1-2k primers at a time? It's not like all of us haven't been here before. Where was everyone last year when Brownells had .01 shipping on primers and powders?
I think people are buying so few at a time, because of purchase limits by the sellers.

Well when they are already stupid expensive and then governments lock people down and keep people out of jobs so can’t afford said primers anyway (Australia for example), They are still available. I always Tell my buddies that live there that they should be buying what they can when they can because nothing will be coming over from the US any time soon

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
I think people are buying so few at a time, because of purchase limits by the sellers.
Before all the shenanigans, the market was actually full of primers and powders. Several of the retailers had sales on them. That was such a rare sight to see, it was perfect for the shooters to buy in bulk. Personally, I don't think I could ever bring myself to sell any of them. Seeing primers at 200 per thousand is just insane.

We won’t see any meaningful amount of primers in the US until ammo prices come down and there is a steady supply of “reasonably” priced ammo on the shelves. Once they manufacturers show slowing sales and surpluses the primers will show back up.

The (at least perceived) tighter restrictions on importing primers and the Russian sanctions are certainly contributors. That limits the lions share of what’s available to US manufactures. Remington being one of those, with all their bullshit lately, I see they are turning out ammo again. Maybe we’ll start seeing primers later this years….

It isn't from hoarders, it is from all the new gun owners and it rolls down hill.

A lot of people decided to buy guns for the first time and along with those guns they bought ammunition. Gun owners who would normally buy ammunition are no longer able to so a lot of them decided to get into reloading for the first time so they can continue to shoot. And with all the new gun owners buying reloading supplies it has caused the shortage we are seeing in reloading supplies.

Same thing happened in 2008 when Obama was elected. Took a few years for it to normalize and I believe the Obama shortage was far worse than it is now.

Reactions: Joel Danielson
It isn't from hoarders, it is from all the new gun owners and it rolls down hill.

A lot of people decided to buy guns for the first time and along with those guns they bought ammunition. Gun owners who would normally buy ammunition are no longer able to so a lot of them decided to get into reloading for the first time so they can continue to shoot. And with all the new gun owners buying reloading supplies it has caused the shortage we are seeing in reloading supplies.
Exactly, I have two brothers that couldn't get their loaded 9mm, 45acp and 223 ammo anywhere, and came to me for help. I made them purchase a Dillion 550c (and all the caliber specific do-dads) and helped them find components to load. Now one of them is over at my house monthly running another 500 9mm rounds through the press for him and his wife to practice with. I got a free press progressive press to do all my pistol and AR ammo on that used to be done on a single stage press... :cool: .

Reactions: Jack's Dad
LGS here was too the point of buying up estate sales and anything new and sealed went onto the shelf, with a disclaimer.

I was buying 1-2k at a time, because I could. Buying local was just as cheap as online.

^^^^^^^This, and the fact that between being overpriced, then tack on haz-mat, shipping, and taxes, that single brick you're limited to is now $130+. I would buy by the case if I could find them. And yes, I was buying them pre-plandemic, but I was also using them, and honestly, the gun and ammo buying spree in the country caught me completely flat-footed. Live and learn.

Reactions: BLEE
Then there is the Winchester 9mm recall the deal with.

In the UK it depends on what primers you are looking for.

US made primers (and in general components such as cases, bullets and powders) are very difficult to get. Rest of world made stuff not so bad but becoming harder to get for somethings.

(Expecting a UK crunch on Vihtavouri powders shortly we understand)

ATB,

Scrummy

• Wow
Reactions: NoDopes
I have many opportunities to buy primers, but I refuse to pay $80 a brick, plus shipping, plus hazmat, on a maximum number of two bricks. That's almost $100 a brick. Or, I could get them at the gun show for $250 a brick. Screw that. It may be a long time, but I'll wait.

Reactions: Jrb572 and FatBoy
You have individual shops or outlets buying 100k primer, or 100 units at a time, OR ! You have an ammo manuf buying 1000 units (10k primers) a week. Single invoice / account. I know who is be selling to in business.