• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem decapping FGMM brass

sblanch

Private
Minuteman
Oct 28, 2009
Iowa
Has anyone else had the anvil and "interior" cup of the primers in FGMM come out while leaving the main primer cup behind?

This is once fired FGMM brass with factory primers.

I can't explain whats happening better than it seems that the primers are made of an inner and outer cup and the decapping pin is pushing the interior cup out leaving the outer ring of the "outer" cup stuck in the primer pocket. The primers also appear to be sealed with a blue colored glue around the primers.

Anyone seen this?

Re: Problem decapping FGMM brass

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 5x5GUY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Has anyone else had the anvil and "interior" cup of the primers in FGMM come out while leaving the main primer cup behind?

This is once fired FGMM brass with factory primers.

I can't explain whats happening better than it seems that the primers are made of an inner and outer cup and the decapping pin is pushing the interior cup out leaving the outer ring of the "outer" cup stuck in the primer pocket. The primers also appear to be sealed with a blue colored glue around the primers.

Anyone seen this? </div></div>

Sounds like the brass has crimped in primers and which are thn sealed. This is common for milsurp brass, but I've never had a problem punching out Lake City, et al., in both 556 and 762.

Is this 223 or 308 FGMM? 556 with Federal running Lake City, can be all over the map, mixing and matching milsurp in commercial fodder and vice-versa.

If you're destroying sealed/crimped in primers during decapping, that brass needs to go to the scrap bucket, IMO.

Chris

The last batch of FGMM brass I reloaded had both crimped bullets and crimped primers. De-priming took a long time. I had to reset the de-primer as deep as possible to push the crimped primers all the way out.

Those same primer pockets were so tight that re-priming was only possible if I aligned the new primer <span style="font-weight: bold">EXACTLY</span> with the crimped primer pocket. I donated the re-fired FGMM brass to the recycle bin at my local range.

I now just buy Winchester brass and shoot it until the necks or primer pockets give out.

It is 308 brass.

I didn't know that Federal used crimped primers in commercial ammo.

Is the SMK bullet and tighter quality control the only difference between match and their other ammo?

Are your sure that there is really anything from the sidewall of the primer coming out?

I have a 2009 box that had blue sealant like you describe. I'd call it "stealth" crimped at the primer--strangely difficult to decap, hardly any sign of the crimp.

Easy enough to decrimp, though.

The primers came out a little dome-shaped.

I'm wondering if your decapping pin is too sharp or too narrow. My RCBS sizer handles the FGMM okay.