• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Problem with Stiller Tac 300 action

STKL

Private
Minuteman
Jun 26, 2009
Norway
Hi

I have a problem with my Stiller Tac 300 action
The problem is with crated primers.
The caliber is 300 WinMag
Have changed the original firing pin spring with a harder Tubbs speed> lock firing pin spring and measured the dia of the firing pin hole in the bolt and as well measured the dia of the part of the firing pin, who hits the primer. It is well within the limits.

??

Stkl

Re: Problem with Stiller Tac 300 action

Here is some pics.

]

28032009155939nIHJKs8xiIac.jpg

28032009155939W8LtR33EB75Q.jpg

28032009155939qo3X9V959SyU.jpg

was this new unfired brass?

Have you tried fired sized brass?

The primers are not excessively flattened, so it doesn't look like high pressure. It does look like the primer is setting a bit above the case head, check this with a straight edge or caliper. If so, there is a mis-match in the headspace between the chamber and ammo. The chamber is a bit long or the ammo is a bit short. Also, put the original firing pin spring back in the bolt and see if the problem goes away. The chamber pressure pushing back against the primer may be pushing the firing pin back into the bolt, and letting the primer case extrude back into the firing pin hole in the bolt. This is often caused by too light a spring on the firing pin, and this is really what it looks like here.

Have tried "everything" ...
New brass handloaded with various loads .
Loads From 68 grs Norma MRP to 75 grs (That a normal load)
Various brass ( Remington and Norma )
Factory cartiges ( Norma Swift A Frame , Norma Jaktmatch, Remington Swift A Frame,)

Same thing happens every time.

Stkl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> The primers are not excessively flattened, so it doesn't look like high pressure. It does look like the primer is setting a bit above the case head, check this with a straight edge or caliper. If so, there is a mis-match in the headspace between the chamber and ammo. The chamber is a bit long or the ammo is a bit short. Also, put the original firing pin spring back in the bolt and see if the problem goes away. The chamber pressure pushing back against the primer may be pushing the firing pin back into the bolt, and letting the primer case extrude back into the firing pin hole in the bolt. This is often caused by too light a spring on the firing pin, and this is really what it looks like here. </div></div>

Headspace is checked and adjusted.
Firing pin spring is changed to a new and harder one ,
and when that didn`t help we installed and 6mm spacer to aply more spring fore to the firing pin.
And it still dosen`t work ?

Stkl

Send your bolt to Gre-Tan for one of their complete firing pin Assembly's and have the bolt bushed then if it needs it done.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would contact Stiller </div></div>

Have contacted stiller.
His answer is that I should not worry about it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STKL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Nesikabay</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would contact Stiller </div></div>

Have contacted stiller.
His answer is that I should not worry about it. </div></div>

How does the rifle shoot? I have a .308 that does the same thing. If it wasn't a tack driver, then I'd give a shit. My smith said the same thing--and he kinda knows his stuff. If you get a blow through--that's a different story.

If it shoots, leave it alone--unless of course you are entering your spent primers in a beauty contest
smile.gif

Sound advice so far from everybody.

This reminded me of a thread I participated in a couple of years ago. The second page is a great read on this subject. If you want more, join and search "primer problems". In short, I'm with Dick on this one. As your issue does not look like "double strike", well read on..Keep in mind, you have the "rounded collar" variant.

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46681

This rifle cost me aproximetly 3800$ (without the scope)
And the primers should not look this way .
It has to be a engineering fault here.
I have 10 rifle and this one is the only one with this problem.

Stkl

So you joined the Hide to bitch about your ugly primers. Do you really think your targets give a shit what the primers look like?

A $3800 price tag does not mean squat as most of us spend that much on ammo/components for a season.

Again---how does the rifle shoot?

STKL you say that the headspace was checked and adjusted? How was it adjusted?

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you joined the Hide to bitch about your ugly primers. Do you really think your targets give a shit what the primers look like?

A $3800 price tag does not mean squat as most of us spend that much on ammo/components for a season.

Again---how does the rifle shoot? </div></div>

3 shoot group on a cold bore aint good .
but from a warm its ok .

What would you expect from a such a rifle ? ( 100 meter -110 Yards)
Ps Why are you so angry ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STKL you say that the headspace was checked and adjusted? How was it adjusted?

David </div></div>

The gunsmith used a go and a no go gauge the first time.
But the clearance was to big.
So he used a new brass and brass firing in my rifle and adjusted it much tighter.
Now the head space is perfect.

Sounds to me the headspace is not perfect. Its ahr to tell from the pics but is seems to me the primer should be flat out to the edges of the brass or inside if its not them the case seems to be moving forward?

David

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 737SHARK</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds to me the headspace is not perfect. </div></div>

Do you have a idea whats wrong?

Looks like a simple case of poor firing pin fit , having the bolt bushed and pin turned to fit should eliminate the troubles.

while i agree with everybody else if the gun shoots then I woulden't worry to much about it but I'm with you , i form out that kind of money then it better damn well be perfect , especialy with a custom action.

Have changed the original firing pin spring with a harder Tubbs speed> lock firing pin spring and measured the dia of the firing pin hole in the bolt and as well measured the dia of the part of the firing pin, who hits the primer. It is well within the limits.
Clearence between pin and hole is 0,05mm or 0,00196"

I've got this sort of primer cratering happening with my 223AI, though, i'm using CCI 400 small rifle primers atm. I asked the smith about it and I was recommended to go to a harder primer, maybe on the hand loads try a harder primer?

Though I noticed you said above that it is doing the cratering with factory loads too
smirk.gif

Yes it cratering with factory loads also.
Have tried different primers such as : CCI,Federal and Remington.
It happens with all.

Stkl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wnroscoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">was this new unfired brass?

Have you tried fired sized brass? </div></div>

This brass was new .
The same thing happens with sized brass also.

Stkl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STKL</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So you joined the Hide to bitch about your ugly primers. Do you really think your targets give a shit what the primers look like?

Again---how does the rifle shoot? </div></div>

3 shoot group on a cold bore aint good .
but from a warm its ok .

What would you expect from a such a rifle ? ( 100 meter -110 Yards)
Ps Why are you so angry ? </div></div>

You mistake sarcasm for anger.--it takes a helluva lot more than internet banter to work me up
smile.gif

I personally don't shoot groups, let alone groups at 100 meters/yards--except for load development. I am much more interested in having each shot hit where I intend--than I am at getting them close together, where ever they may fall. In any event, the "standard" for a good rifle would be the old .25" but more realistically .5" provided the rifle was built by a competent smith with good components and shot by a competent shooter.

Below is a pic of my brass from today. It's a .308, Border barrel, built by an extremely respected smith on a trued FN SPR action. As you can clearly see, I too have a crater issue--and as you can also see from the pic, this is NOT a light load. It happens with light loads, stiff loads, and every conceivable primer. Headspace--perfect, etc. Probable culprit, oversized fp hole. So after discovering the issue and talking to my smith, I increased the loads, now shooting a 168 smk over 44.5 grains of Varget and a BR2-- 2780 FPS. Not even a hint of blanking primers. I questioned the issue as well, but a smith with my trust and a HELLUVA lot more expereince than I, stated simply--if you like the way it shoots and you are not blowing out primers--LEAVE IT ALONE. If you get further issues, then bush the pin.

The rifle shoots phenomenally well--so I worked up the load to where it is now--which is pretty stiff, and I'm running with it. I have shot the same load from February (35 degrees) to today (80 degrees)--and the primers still look the same without a single blank. Checked everything, and simple logic has prevailed--if nothing else is wrong and I'm happy with the accuracy--then screw it.

Good luck with it, if you are happy with the accuracy, and your brass is not getting destoyed by headspace issues, then I'd leave it alone.

But don't take my word for it--take Mr. Stiller's. Better yet, ask a smith you know and trust--not a bunch of e-strangers!

craters003.jpg

It seems like you know what your talking about!
I have another problem, that i got pressure sign on the brass ( ejector pin ) with normal loads. such as 74 grs MRP .185 lapua scenar bullet.
Have tried with 70 grs and still got a pressure signs .

Do you think this is a combine problem ?

STKL

I don't shoot 300 wm, so I'm ho help there.

Did you get an ejector mark with the factory ammo?

Who build the rifle and, QUANTITATIVELY--how does it shoot? If poorly, have you let a shooter, whom you know to be a good shot, put a few rounds down range--(just to eliminate shooter error as the cause of poor groups).

Here is a group from my rifle (110 yards / 100 m)
Yes but havent tried after the head space adjustment.
Iam out factory cartiges right now.
100220081639323poc713puKk1.jpg

DUDE!!!! LEAVE IT THE HECK ALONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(my finger got tired, otherwise I'd have typed more exclamation points)

Take it out to distance--and run it over a chrono to confirm consistency then shoot the barrel off of it!

I wouldn't touch a rifle, nor a load that shoots that way consistently at an acceptable velocity.

These are tactical rifles, not benchrest. CTC that is about a .3" group.

Why dont you try an over-sized firing pin. I had the same thing going on in one of my trued out 700's. I had three choices. Bush the firing pin hole put an over-sized firing pin in it, and turn to fit. or leave it alone. I was going to just leave it alone, but i was told that it can ruin a trigger if left alone for long enough. Kiff has what you need. It might need turned a bit but it should clear the problem up, IF that is all thats wrong. I noticed you aren't to inclined to tell us who your smith is, so that tells me maybe you are not 100% confident in his ability?? My smith is Jon Beanland and he is the best you can get!!! Thats how sure i am!! Good luck and i hope you get your problem taken care of! Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: skeetlee</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why dont you try an over-sized firing pin. I had the same thing going on in one of my trued out 700's. I had three choices. Bush the firing pin hole put an over-sized firing pin in it, and turn to fit. or leave it alone. I was going to just leave it alone, but i was told that it can ruin a trigger if left alone for long enough. Kiff has what you need. It might need turned a bit but it should clear the problem up, IF that is all thats wrong. I noticed you aren't to inclined to tell us who your smith is, so that tells me maybe you are not 100% confident in his ability?? My smith is Jon Beanland and he is the best you can get!!! Thats how sure i am!! Good luck and i hope you get your problem taken care of! Lee </div></div>

So just exactly how would a crater such as that ruin a trigger?

STKL,
After rereading my post of friday, I must say my brain and my typing fingers got out of sync. What I meant to say is that sometimes this is caused by a lighter firing pin and/or firing pin spring. Did you fire the rifle with the original firing pin in it and did this happen then? If you didn't fire it, then you might put the original firing pin and spring back in and see if the problem goes away. If not, check the firing pin protusion, check with mr. Stiller for the factory specs but I think is around .062" or so, should be at least 1/2 the diameter of the radius on the end of the pin.
Something is letting the primer flow back into the pin hole on the bolt face and this could cause primer blanking with high pressure ammo and this could let gas get back into the system and a little disk of brass lodged in the firing pin hole. Wheather it's a light firing pin, a light firing pin spring, insuffient firing pin protrusion, or a slightly undersize pin is just something you have to try to isolate and correct.
Personally I find I always get a little bit of dimpling around the firing pin strike on the primer when you get up around 55,000 or 60,000 psi, but yours seems excessive and I would worry about it.
By the way, does the fired primer set a bit above the case head as the pictures seem to show, or it that just the angle of the dangle from the way we are seening the picture from the side?

Have tried it with the orignal spring and it was worse.
That`s reason for changing it to a Tubbs spring.
When that wasen`t enough we mounted a spacer of 6 mm (1/4 ")
to give the spring more force. Was better, but not much.
The primer is above the brass, aproximetly 1mm (0,04 ")on the worse brass.

A crater won't ruin the trigger, just if you blow or pierce a primer it is possible. The pressure coming back through the bolt body can blow the cocking piece back resetting the trigger. When it slams back forward under spring pressure, it can break stuff in the trigger.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beanland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A crater won't ruin the trigger, just if you blow or pierce a primer it is possible. The pressure coming back through the bolt body can blow the cocking piece back resetting the trigger. When it slams back forward under spring pressure, it can break stuff in the trigger. </div></div>

Thats what i meant to say!! Thanks Jon, Lee

Gotcha--piercing can also erode the bolt face--but cratering alone is not the problem.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: STKL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Have tried it with the orignal spring and it was worse.
That`s reason for changing it to a Tubbs spring.
When that wasen`t enough we mounted a spacer of 6 mm (1/4 ")
to give the spring more force. Was better, but not much.
The primer is above the brass, aproximetly 1mm (0,04 ")on the worse brass. </div></div>

You indicate that the primers are approximately 0.040" above the brass. Since you've been shooting different ammo, both reloads and factory loaded ammo, I'd have to assume that the primers in these loads were seated properly (flush with or slightly below the head of the cartridge case) and have backed out 0.040" after firing.

I'm not a gunsmith and don't claim to be an expert, but in my experience I've only seen primers that have been pushed out of the primer pockets like that from either loose primer pockets or a poor chambering job - oversize chamber or excessive headspace.

Have you measured for case head expansion, comparing the diameter of the case head just above the belt on new unfired factory ammo to the diameter of the same ammo after firing in your chamber? Have you checked the fired brass for loose primer pockets?

Just thinking out loud
smile.gif

STKL,
Well, I keep coming back to firing pin protusion. What is the firing pin protusion on the bolt? When you take the bolt out and uncock it to measure this, do not set the end of the firing pin/bolt schroud on the table to measure it. Clamp the bolt body in a vise and let the pin and schroud hang free as there may be tolerances in the bolt that will give a false reading if pressure is put on the back of the firing pin.
Firing pin protusion (uncocked) should be .055" to .060" although up to .o65" probably won't hurt anything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dick Davis</div><div class="ubbcode-body">STKL,
Well, I keep coming back to firing pin protusion. What is the firing pin protusion on the bolt? When you take the bolt out and uncock it to measure this, do not set the end of the firing pin/bolt schroud on the table to measure it. Clamp the bolt body in a vise and let the pin and schroud hang free as there may be tolerances in the bolt that will give a false reading if pressure is put on the back of the firing pin.
Firing pin protusion (uncocked) should be .055" to .060" although up to .o65" probably won't hurt anything. </div></div>

It is ,055"

I am the gunsmith of this rifle.
I graduated from Colorado School of Trades in 1990 and been a full time smith in my own shop ever since.

The primer has never rised above the brass, only the crating.
The fiering pin is original Stiller, but there is a new stronger spring, adittioned with a spacer as stkl has said, to make it harder.
The chamber is as tight as the reamer alowes it to be, and has "no" headspace on the belt with factory brass - meaning the bolt gets a little sticky in the last end of closing. Still it gives loose primer pockets after three rounds with mild loads and ample free-bore.
I wish I had slugged the barrel, but was not informed about the loose pockets when I had it back the second time. If it was not for theese loose pockets I would not care, but something is wrong here.

There are only three Stillers imported to Norway, and all three has a crating problem. The other two are chambered in 6,5-.284, one by me, one by someone else.
The fiering pin protrution is 0.055", adjusted by me, but was over .09 when it was new. I have shot rifles with a lot bigger gap around the pin but never seen crating like this.

You've spent a lot of time and money on this project, not to mention on the action and the build. In the process you're doing a lot of guessing, testing and speculation hoping to find the problem. Lots of good suggestions but you’re not getting any closer to the real cause.

I may have missed it, but I would contact Jerry or Curtis @ Stiller and have them look at their action or offer some guidance. I’ve been to their shop, they build to some extreme engineering tolerances and you don’t hear of many CS complaints about them. We’re all human and on the few occasions there has been a problem, they’ve quickly resolve it.

In stead of guessing give Jerry a call and let them take a look at it, after all they designed and built it.

Best of luck and once you find the cause let us know.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeff in TX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You've spent a lot of time and money on this project, not to mention on the action and the build. In the process you're doing a lot of guessing, testing and speculation hoping to find the problem. Lots of good suggestions but you’re not getting any closer to the real cause.

I may have missed it, but I would contact Jerry or Curtis @ Stiller and have them look at their action or offer some guidance. I’ve been to their shop, they build to some extreme engineering tolerances and you don’t hear of many CS complaints about them. We’re all human and on the few occasions there has been a problem, they’ve quickly resolve it.

In stead of guessing give Jerry a call and let them take a look at it, after all they designed and built it.

Best of luck and once you find the cause let us know.
</div></div>

The guy a bought the action from ,have been in contact with Jerry Stiller.
And his respone was that he would not worry about it, unless the pin pierce the primer.

Should a custom actoin be this way ?

Stkl

It's interesting that all three Stiller actions imported into Norway have a primer cratering problem. My Stiller TAC300 has a Bartlein barrel in 6.5-284 and was chambered and installed by Stiller. It has never exhibited any primer cratering, nor have I ever experienced enlarged (loose) primer pockets with any load that I've tried until I've gone way overpressure with the obvious signs indicating that such as stiff bolt lift, ejector marks on the case head, and excessive case head expansion for example. My Oehler 35 backed up these over pressure signs with very high velocity readings.

Since you're encountering excessive primer cratering along with primer pocket enlargement it sounds like you've got a high pressure problem.

Provide us with your load info and velocities. Measure for case head expansion. Slug the barrel to see if you don't have a tight bore - or - take the easy way out and blame Stiller!

If the firing pin protrusion is good and the firing pin hole diameter is nice and tight there is nothing wrong with the action.

the action just holds the bolt, If the firing pin assembly measures out then the issue may be elsewhere.

I would re check the headspace because of this::::
"The gunsmith used a go and a no go gauge the first time.
So he used a new brass and brass firing in my rifle and adjusted it much tighter.
Now the head space is perfect."

I wouldnt headspace off the brass. Use the GO/NOGO.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If the firing pin protrusion is good and the firing pin hole diameter is nice and tight there is nothing wrong with the action.

the action just holds the bolt, If the firing pin assembly measures out then the issue may be elsewhere.

I would re check the headspace because of this::::
"The gunsmith used a go and a no go gauge the first time.
Now the head space is perfect."

</div></div>

Read the post by Fossdal.
He is the gunsmith on this rifle.

Stkl

I dont want to get into a pissing match with anyone.

Eliminate possibilities one at a time. This is one, and from his post he is saying that it IS good.

"The fiering pin protrution is 0.055", <span style="font-weight: bold">adjusted by me</span>, but was over .09 when it was new. <span style="font-weight: bold">I have shot rifles with a lot bigger gap around the pin</span> but never seen crating like this."

Now that that variable is eliminated look elsewhere. thats all im saying. Now if the headspace is also good then that too is eliminated. Whats next ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 19Scout77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I wouldn't touch a rifle, nor a load that shoots that way consistently at an acceptable velocity.
</div></div>

This is what to be expected from a good barrel properly mounted on a good action properly bedded into a good stock, with a good scope properly installed in good mounts. At least. I would say every rifle I have put together like this groups simmilar or better, Rem 700 and Walther barrels being the regular combo. Stkl's barrel is a Pac-nor.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: heatseekins</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

Please tell me why not? The GO/NO-GO's are for factory chamberings, what is wrong with a tighter chamber?

I am very pleased to discuss this here, every input is a good one!
It would be great to solve this case!

All the pins fit with .001 to .002 diameter difference on the pins/pinholes
. The older ones were .075 diameter, same as remington. About a year or 2 back we went to a .067 pin. Solved a few blanking issues that some guys were having on the BR cases and way too much pressure. Protrusion is normally about .060, but .055 to .065 will work fine and not have an effect on this. If the pin fit is correct and the spring force is 23 lbs or more, it is well within spec. I am not sure why they crater, but if it doesnt blank, I wouldnt worry alot about it. If handloading, harder primers may help. Honestly, excessive headspace is usually the culprit of this kind of thing. I will do anything needed to help here, but I really dont know what to do if everything is in spec.

I will be happy to look it over if sent to me also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fossdal</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Please tell me why not? The GO/NO-GO's are for factory chamberings, what is wrong with a tighter chamber?</div></div>

You can buy GO/NO-GO gauges when you buy the reamer, this way, you know they're dead on.

Have tried with harder primers such as CCI .
The same thing happens with CCI primers.
The only difference is the mark after the firering pin.
It is smaller with CCI than Reminton and Federal.

Stkl