• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PRS Shooters • Daniel Defense Delta 5 Pro • Good Value For Newb?

So far looks very good! Arca rail and Mlok everywhere! I did not like the original Delta when I molested it spring of 2019. It felt plasticky. Can't wait to see this one.

First thought, there’s better options for the money (MPA, GAP, etc)
Second, would have been that difficult to source a better barrel? Bartlein? Krieger? Even Proof? DD barrels might be great for a machine gun, but why can’t they leave the precision rifle barrels to people who have been doing it for decades.
Third thought, seems like a fanboy rifle.
Fourth thought, if the delta 5 was a great platform, there would be an aftermarket for it by now (maybe this exists, but I haven’t seen it)

Just my opinion.

Edit- the PPR from GA Precision is the same price. IMO I don’t know why someone would even consider the DD at that point.

Last edited:
As a new guy, I'd consider this one. Except they don't make a left hand model.

I'm sure it lives up to its .5 MOA guarantee. So if it remains reliable I think it can be a good choice for someone new to buy an already complete package thats higher quality than standard factory rifles. I sorta basing this one someone from a different forum who was surprised how the first one shot.

Educate Me, tell me the good & bad. Thanks in advance.

It looks like it's in a modified MDT chassis. The scalloping is nice, as well as the 10 sling points and M-Lok. That said, you might be better off going for an MPA PMR for $2k.

Reactions: Stoweit
sounds like it has a lot of nice features...will be interesting to follow

As a new guy, I'd consider this one. Except they don't make a left hand model.

I'm sure it lives up to its .5 MOA guarantee. So if it remains reliable I think it can be a good choice for someone new to buy an already complete package thats higher quality than standard factory rifles. I sorta basing this one someone from a different forum who was surprised how the first one shot.
Why on earth would you buy anything from Daniel Defense when you could have a rifle built by GA Precision for the same money?

Why on earth would you buy anything from Daniel Defense when you could have a rifle built by GA Precision for the same money?

If the GA was at the 2.5k price range I'd probably go for them. But I highly doubt the DD will be bad, and that'll probably be even cheaper than what you can get from GA considering their first bolt action is under 2k.

Also
If the GA was at the 2.5k price range I'd probably go for them. But I highly doubt the DD will be bad, and that'll probably be even cheaper than what you can get from GA considering their first bolt action is under 2k.

Thanks for that! I haven't seen that one. I checked out their ready to ship and at least 3 of them were 4k plus...I'd rather get a custom put together with parts I choose.

I've never had a custom rifle built for me, but you can probably call GAP up and request a build using their PPR spec, no problem. You'll have to deal with lead time, but the DD is on pre-order. Might as well drop the coin for a true custom instead of a factory rifle if waiting is already involved. 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for that! I haven't seen that one. I checked out their ready to ship and at least 3 of them were 4k plus...I'd rather get a custom put together with parts I choose.
So would I, that’s why I put together my own. The point is, there is a GAP rifle available for the same price as the DD, so why on earth would you ever buy the DD?

So would I, that’s why I put together my own. The point is, there is a GAP rifle available for the same price as the DD, so why on earth would you ever buy the DD?

Probably since I was already AR fan of theirs. My one DD 10.3" barrel shots just above MOA. Probably better if I wasn't using a red dot.

I get what you're saying, but I doubt the DD would be a terrible choice. I know someone with one and they like it.

Didnt these have issues with bolts blowing up and then DD being dicks about it?

Probably since I was already AR fan of theirs. My one DD 10.3" barrel shots just above MOA. Probably better if I wasn't using a red dot.

I get what you're saying, but I doubt the DD would be a terrible choice. I know someone with one and they like it.
If your ok with “not a terrible choice” when dropping $2500, then you’ve got more money then I do, so good for you. I expect my rifle to be more accurate than I am, and from what I’ve seen, the Delta 5 is not that.

That means it's probably not a very good choice either. Buying one from GAP would be a fantastic choice, even if it did cost a bit more.

You guys are probably right. I went with Bergara since they come LH and are under 1K. Next I plan on a custom. Hopefully DD makes this rifle as well as I think they can, I've had luck with their barrels.

I know a bright young man who grew up shooting an AI.
Was given one of these for his work. Is quite pleased with how it shoots and runs.

Personally, I would spend my own money differently.

Reactions: 1moaoff
So I don't know if anyone else in the thread has, but I've actually handled and shot one of these, it was something I wanted to do before we jumped in on the project.

I think there's a kneejerk reaction to dislike the rifle, but there's no reason to. For my taste, I wish the bolt clearance were a few thou tighter. Otherwise, there's no real way to gripe about the rifle or the package you're getting at the price. They're accurate, handle well. plus you're getting a brake/rail/mag, which are typically add-ons to production priced rifles. Could other options better suit certain buyers? Sure. But I think anyone buying into the production class should have this in their consideration set alongside GAP, MPA, etc.

So I don't know if anyone else in the thread has, but I've actually handled and shot one of these, it was something I wanted to do before we jumped in on the project.

I think there's a kneejerk reaction to dislike the rifle, but there's no reason to. For my taste, I wish the bolt clearance were a few thou tighter. Otherwise, there's no real way to gripe about the rifle or the package you're getting at the price. They're accurate, handle well. plus you're getting a brake/rail/mag, which are typically add-ons to production priced rifles. Could other options better suit certain buyers? Sure. But I think anyone buying into the production class should have this in their consideration set alongside GAP, MPA, etc.
Humor me. So if you had $2500 to spend on a rifle and were choosing between the GAP PPR, MPA PMR Pro, ARC Nucleus Rifle, and the DD Delta 5 Pro. Would you choose the Delta 5?

Humor me. So if you had $2500 to spend on a rifle and were choosing between the GAP PPR, MPA PMR Pro, ARC Nucleus Rifle, and the DD Delta 5 Pro. Would you choose the Delta 5?

For me, I think (for now) the Nucleus rifle is likely the best value. Also worth noting - my price on brakes/accessories is less than yours (or about anyone's, for that matter). For most people, anything but the DD is going to come with another roughly $250 in spending on a brake and mag, which adds 10%.

Some though will scoff at the ARC pacakge's barrel being button-rifled, so they will like the GAP build with a Bartlein - but it's not bedded or in an aluminum block which will bother some. That might lead them to MPA, but that chassis on the production gun isn't as feature-rich.

It's almost like there is a reason for multiple brands to release multiple options from which customers can choose.

I think its great that Daniel Defense is investing the time and resources to cater to long range/PRS type shooters.
Is the rifle catered for experienced folks that are already in the long range/PRS game? No.
Is the rifle catered for folks that like to build and customize their own PRS rifles? No.
For folks with DD semis and familiar with the brand already, can this be a reliable turnkey PRS rifle to help them get into the sport? Yes.

Personally, I won't be replacing my MPA/Cadex rifles with the DD Delta 5 Pro. But this gives DD a foot in the door in the PRS space, and more competition equals a healthier market place for all of us. Keeps the other vendors honest and on their toes.

For me, I think (for now) the Nucleus rifle is likely the best value. Also worth noting - my price on brakes/accessories is less than yours (or about anyone's, for that matter). For most people, anything but the DD is going to come with another roughly $250 in spending on a brake and mag, which adds 10%.

Some though will scoff at the ARC pacakge's barrel being button-rifled, so they will like the GAP build with a Bartlein - but it's not bedded or in an aluminum block which will bother some. That might lead them to MPA, but that chassis on the production gun isn't as feature-rich.

It's almost like there is a reason for multiple brands to release multiple options from which customers can choose.
That is all fair. I still see it like this, they obviously built a rifle specifically for the PRS production division. They then added $250 worth of accessories when they could have put that toward a barrel that everyone is familiar and/or comfortable with. Instead of letting the quality of the rifle justify the price, I feel like they’re saying “but at least it comes with a brake and a mag”. I would agree with frank320, it’s for people who love DD (fanboys) and want to try PRS, not those who want to get the most rifle for their money. But like you said, ultimately it’s the consumer’s choice.

That is all fair. I still see it like this, they obviously built a rifle specifically for the PRS production division. They then added $250 worth of accessories when they could have put that toward a barrel that everyone is familiar and/or comfortable with. Instead of letting the quality of the rifle justify the price, I feel like they’re saying “but at least it comes with a brake and a mag”. I would agree with frank320, it’s for people who love DD (fanboys) and want to try PRS, not those who want to get the most rifle for their money. But like you said, ultimately it’s the consumer’s choice.

Have you ever shot one of their barrels, or heard complaints about the accuracy of their Delta 5? They have won a pile of contracts because of the accuracy and durability of their AR barrels. Having actually shot both their gas and bolt rifles, I think you're a fool for dismissing them out of hand.

The GAP is in a mini chassis Manners. Is that not an aluminum block?

The GAP is in a mini chassis Manners. Is that not an aluminum block?
If they are in a mini-chassis, then I'm incorrect on that point - those are aluminum blocks. I didn't think those were being used on the PPR. Their rifle is a great buy as well. Maybe someone wants to gripe about the TT Special as opposed to Diamond, or that the LOP is not adjustable, idk. The point remains that there's always a complaint to be made, thus a competitive market is a positive for us all.

Have you ever shot one of their barrels, or heard complaints about the accuracy of their Delta 5? They have won a pile of contracts because of the accuracy and durability of their AR barrels. Having actually shot both their gas and bolt rifles, I think you're a fool for dismissing them out of hand.
I don’t even know anyone who has bought one, so no, I don’t have any hands on experience with them. So maybe I am fool for spending my money elsewhere as a consumer. As far as their AR barrels go, I will absolutely say they are extremely durable and plenty accurate considering the durability they provide. But I don’t know a High Power competitor anywhere who would trade their White Oak, Shillen, Douglas, Krieger, Wilson, or Lilja barrel for a Daniel Defense. That’s not to say they make bad or inaccurate barrels, simply different applications. Likewise, I’m not saying they made a bad rifle, as I’m sure it is accurate enough to fill the intended role. However, I have not observed that this is a space ruled by good enough (I’m sure Area 419 is always trying to make their products THE best in the world), I simply believe they missed an opportunity to secure a much greater share of their intended market with nothing more than a MORE application specific barrel. Outside of that they pretty much nailed it. I know I’m being extremely nit picky, and I’m allowed to.

I handled it at SHOT when it came out. I haven't shot it. I didn't feel like the action was as nice as the custom action quality you can get from the aforementioned builders. As for the other bits, they could be very good barrels, triggers, etc. but I don't see how they would improve over what is available right now. The chassis is gonna be a wash, no improvements, its just another chassis.

It was clear to me that the rifle was designed with lots of well intentioned features, and over time it might prove itself. At this point, I didn't see anything that was massively negative, but it also didn't really impress me. If you want a DD, because of personal preference, that works. If you bought the rifle and kept it and shot it, I don't think it is disappointing.

Reactions: SonoranPrecision
God that’s hideous, but hott DAMN that Gladious PPR is GORGEOUS!
Different strokes for different folks. I prefer chassis rifles, and those tactical/traditional stocks are BORING!! I don’t have a DD rifle, and Marty Daniels’ initial stance on “fix NICS” still rings in my head. Chocolate, strawberry, peppermint, rocky road... Thankfully there’s a flavor for everyone- even the vanilla, traditional stock lovers...

Different strokes for different folks. I prefer chassis rifles, and those tactical/traditional stocks are BORING!! I don’t have a DD rifle, and Marty Daniels’ initial stance on “fix NICS” still rings in my head. Chocolate, strawberry, peppermint, rocky road... Thankfully there’s a flavor for everyone- even the vanilla, traditional stock lovers...
This is my main rifle.
9F09F6EE-CB1C-492F-9526-EEC52ACE5D82.jpeg

370863C9-759E-413A-B39F-9F5819A89EB9.jpeg

I have no reservations about the quality of any Daniel Defense product. I'm new to PRS, so I cannot offer a meaningful opinion on the Pro's features and benefits as compared to the variety of Rem700 based systems out there . But as a Sig Sauer MCX/MPX owner, I'm hesitant to become invested in another system with proprietary parts that are no longer available after the next generation is introduced. My concern is future support for this first Pro generation.

I shot this gun at Shot show a few years ago. It seems to be a nice gun. I think my only gripe was that the bolt would operate ruffly or snag of you had any other pressure on it other than straight forward or back. Any side pressure torque and it was not a smooth gun.

Reactions: Changed
I was at Bass Pro Shops the other day and saw this behind the counter. I have to tell you when I picked it up and tryed the action I was not impressed it felt in some way flimsy it may be a great gun I don't know I'm not even going to pretend like I know it that well it, just did not feel like a quality firearm. Don't get me wrong it may shoot like a champ it's just that my first impression was not very good. When you brought the bolt all the way back it was very wobbly,. I could not dry fire it so I can't tell you what the trigger was like. To be honest with you I was hoping to like this weapon. On paper it seemed like a decent entry-level weapon but based on my first impressions I'm just going to have to say I'm not too sure.
Now I'm sure there's a couple of you guys out there with one of these so don't get butthurt I'm not cutting it down I'm just telling you my first impressions. I still would like to try the gun maybe my mind would be changed or maybe the gun that I picked up had just been handled so many times and racked back by people that don't really know what they're doing. It could have loosened something up I just don't know.
And while I value my own opinion more than anyone else I know. I'm still just a dumbass what's puts me in good company with the guys on this site.

Last edited:
Official Gun of PRS, and the only people who will run them are the ones paid to do so. Also, I’m not sure about the rest of you guys, but at .5 MOA I’d be looking to change a barrel. If my rifles are not capable of .25 I’m disappointed. Not that I can always shoot .25, but I expect it.

It's under the production rifle cost for prs if that matters to you. Between ga and dd, its not even close.

Reactions: JohnCarter17
Official Gun of PRS, and the only people who will run them are the ones paid to do so. Also, I’m not sure about the rest of you guys, but at .5 MOA I’d be looking to change a barrel. If my rifles are not capable of .25 I’m disappointed. Not that I can always shoot .25, but I expect it.

In Daniel Defense's...defense, extremely few custom builders (that I'm aware of, anyway) offer 0.25 MOA guarantees. GA Precision offers 3/8 MOA guarantees on some custom rifles, 0.5 on others. A 0.5 MOA guarantee indicates fantastic accuracy potential, especially in a PRS-style rifle. I wouldn't so quickly write it off, as the performance of the "guaranteed" rifles on the market seem to regularly exceed the manufacturer's spec.

Never realized how many DD haters there are. I am a production class guy running a TAC A1 or a Savage Elite Precision and I welcome this new competitor. The more the merrier! Never cared for the Delta put I'm liking the features and adjustability of this new Delta Pro.

the performance of the "guaranteed" rifles on the market seem to regularly exceed the manufacturer's spec.
I have had a very different experience than you, as I have found rifles to rarely meet the accuracy guarantees. When I hear that X rifle have a guarantee of .5moa, I expect the rifle to be capable of EVERY group to be under .5moa with the right ammo (Most of the time the company claims “factory match grade ammo”). From what I have seen, when you complain about accuracy, the company either 1) tells you that you’re full of shit and it must be your fault, or 2) send the rifle back, they “tested it with their ammo” and it meets the accuracy standard (which is the polite version of “you’re full of shit and it’s your fault”). So anymore, I don’t put any stock in accuracy guarantees, I look at the experiences of people that I trust

Last edited:
Never realized how many DD haters there are. I am a production class guy running a TAC A1 or a Savage Elite Precision and I welcome this new competitor. The more the merrier! Never cared for the Delta put I'm liking the features and adjustability of this new Delta Pro.
Unrelated to the Delta 5, but perhaps you forgot that DD threw their support behind a bill that would have only further degraded the 2A.

Reactions: JohnCarter17
I have had a very different experience than you, as I have found rifles to rarely meet the accuracy guarantees. When I hear that X rifle have a guarantee of .5moa, I expect the rifle to be capable of EVERY group to be under .5moa with the right ammo (Most of the time the company claims “factory match grade ammo”). From what I have seen, when you complain about accuracy, the company either 1) tells you that you’re full of shit and it must be your fault, or 2) send the rifle back, they “tested it with their ammo” and it meets the accuracy standard (which is the polite version of “you’re full of shot and it’s your fault”). So anymore, I don’t put any stock in accuracy guarantees, I look at the experiences of people that I trust

Man, that really sucks. Sorry to hear that the "accuracy guarantee" companies are antagonistic. :confused: Guess I've just gotten lucky with my rifles.

They're in the wild already? DD's website says preorder though.
I'm living up to my reputation I thought we were talking about the delta disregard what I said I have attained a new level of dumbassery