• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing PTG throat reamer

350 kid

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2011
Pa
I am thinking of making my 260's throat longer.Is the PTG throat reamer a tool that a novice can use?Also wondering how much bullet jump will work with standard hunting bullets.My most accurate load with 120 nosler ballistic tip is at 2.780 oal with 2.83 oal seated into rifling.Also wondering if making the throat longer will hurt accuracy with my 95 grain v-max load.Thanks

Re: PTG throat reamer

They should be ran the same way the reamer is. IMO Right after the reamer was ran.

NOT by hand.

So I dont think its something someone without a lathe should do.

I JUST lengthened the throat on a 260.

There's nothing wrong with running them after the rifle is finished, and rounds have been fired... but the barrel should be removed and indicated in just as if it were being reamed for a chamber.

This is the only way I know of to ensure it is straight.

On a side note, I've seen someone run one by hand and the rifle(also a 260) shot half inch.
It was a completed rifle just like yours. An extended reamer wrench/holder is needed though so you dont have to remove the action.
I advise against it. A smith should do it in a lathe.

I think $100 is fair for the service.

Try the PTG Uni-Throater. Can be done in a lathe OR by hand. It has two pilots, one that centers the reamer ahead of the reamer and one aft that centers it in the chamber area. It also has an adjustable stop. PTG's website recommends either use by hand with the T-handle, or in the lathe. I've used them and they work very well, better than the standard throating reamers in most cases.

I wasn't familiar with that kind.
If it pilots off lands, AND off the chamber, it will do well IF it can pilot off the chamber <span style="text-decoration: underline">well</span>, and the chamber is concentric to the bore.

Still don't like turning things by hand when I don't have to but it'd be fine.

The throater we use has only the front pilot, like a chamber finish reamer.

Be careful. Be very, very careful. You will be using a NEW, SHARP throater...it cuts very, very easily. You can end up with a LOT of free bore with only a few strokes/turns. I've seen it done.