• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

I am sure we could help if you need a couple small things! Just hit us up, jcsteeltargets.com

Alright guys, paper targets just aren't cutting it anymore. I miss the steel targets, so I think I may order one or two, what can you guys recommend for a kid on a college budget?

Just did some 1k in the tri cities at a buddies place and it was great but super windy. Couldn't hit crap! Wind gusting between 7-20 mph. Kestrel was going nuts! Buddy also uses jc steel and loves them! Just recently heard about ellensberg, also heard that it can be dangerous hanging targets during the day..... Herd a few stories about some hillbillies..... Worth the trip from the the Westside?

Surprise, never had a problem out by E-burg, but then again I am usually going midweek. Put on a little hunter orange, walk out and hang a few targets, i have the smaller IPSC's so having 3 in a backpack isn't a problem, lots of t-posts still there. Set up, walk back, a little shooting, a little lunch some more shooting and the pick them up. Weekends can get a little busier but there's a lot if room out there.

I am sure we could help if you need a couple small things! Just hit us up, jcsteeltargets.com

Speaking of which... Anyone who has purchased a target from Jake and has been happy with the product and the service should use the iTrader feedback and start rating him as well as any others on here. Just click on the person's profile, click on the "feedback" tab, then click below where it says "submit feedback" and follow the directions. ;)

Went to forest road 70 out by green water for a little bit of plinking. No dumb asses showed up. They usually don't at 6am:cool:

Heard something funny today just thought that I would share it. I was told that a 20" by 12" target was too small to shoot between 400-600 yards. Then the guy looked at me like I was stupid when I laughed.

Hmmm. Then I guess I should stop shooting at clay pigeons @ 1250 because they're too small? Laugh at him for me too then...

There is IMR 4350 and Varget at Sportsmans in Silverdale

Thats hilarious 12 by 20 is huge!! i could hit that will my .22 at 400-600 yards..... maybe lol give me a few shots like...... 3, third times a charm

Last edited:
PhoNEphReAK,
66% ipsc targets have bodies that are roughly 11.88 X 15.84 with a head about 3.96 inches. Let him know that YOU regularly hit them at around 540 yards when we shot at them in local matches. Tell him we have about 10 witnesses too!

sportsmans on south hill had about 15 boxes of 168 A-max .308 late this afternoon. my buddy said they had powder too but didnt know what kind and it wouldnt go on the shelf until tomorrow.

Just did some 1k in the tri cities at a buddies place and it was great but super windy. Couldn't hit crap! Wind gusting between 7-20 mph. Kestrel was going nuts! Buddy also uses jc steel and loves them! Just recently heard about ellensberg, also heard that it can be dangerous hanging targets during the day..... Herd a few stories about some hillbillies..... Worth the trip from the the Westside?

It can be.....

What type of distance do you get out there?

Nothing big; about 120 yards flat then another +50 if you climb a little bit. There is another area out there that looked promising(800+) but i haven't figured out how to get down there to set-up targets yet. I was with some people who wanted to leave so i never got to try it out.

hope its still there tomorrow. need more varget.

If the 2#'s that was left when I headed out at 1800 is still there tomorrow I'll probably snag it and you can have first dibs. There was 200 160gr AMAX and some 140gr 6.5 Berger hybrids if anyone is interested.

I picked up 6 boxes of FGMM 308 175gr SMK at work for anyone looking. I'm asking $165 for all 6 and I can either get it to someone at the match or you need to come pick it up from me. I'm only asking what I paid and I know some guys were looking for it earlier.

I have five boxes of 168gr I'd let go for the same price per box if someone needs some.

PhoNEphReAK,
66% ipsc targets have bodies that are roughly 11.88 X 15.84 with a head about 3.96 inches. Let him know that YOU regularly hit them at around 540 yards when we shot at them in local matches. Tell him we have about 10 witnesses too!

Well I figured instead of arguing with him it would be more fun to take him with me and have him do it himself. I'm fortunate enough to go to a very firearm friendly college. ( we even have a teacher or two that pack in class!!) The school is on about 50 acres, a lot of that land is flat farm land that they allow me to shoot on. I can reach out to 800-900 yards. But back on topic I ordered a couple 40% IPSC targets, and am going to try to get him hitting them at 400-500ish.

2013 SGT Matt Karstetter (USMC) Memorial Field Match- Wilbur WA 6/15

Guys, if you want to get and shoot this is for a worthy cause, it may be a little far for some of you, but I am sure there's more than one going from the Wet side, so carpool.
I don't think there's going to be a better introduction to the sport than this match, plus there's probably going to be a pretty little prize table.
So if you haven't signed up, here's the link
http://isgroup.mycustomevent.com/ShoppingCart.aspx

I thought LEED got them all and sold them at the Puyallup WAC show???

If anyone is looking to get into reloading and would like a good start I have some gear for sale. I'd like to sell it as a package locally for $600. The only things missing is the Giraud trimmer, Lyman Xpress Prep Center, dies, and the comparator set that have already been claimed.

RCBS ChargeMaster 1500 Combo
Hornady Lock-N-Load Classic Single Stage Press with all original parts including 3 die bushings
Hornady Shell Holder Package of 5
3 Pack Hornady Lock-N-Load Die Bushings
Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Gage 5 Bushing Set with Comparator
Lee Precision Deacapping Die
RCBS Primer Tray
Lee Lee Powder Funnel 22 to 45 Caliber
Frankford Arsenal rifle reloading tray
RCBS Bullet Puller Die with .30 caliber collet
General Fraction+ Digital Caliper

Last edited:
I have a question for you precision shooters: I was watching the art of the precision rifle video and it talked about cleaning out copper from a barrel could cause a big decrease in accuracy until a few rounds are fired and new copper is in the barrel What is your experiences with cleaning and accuracy?

I don't clean, until there is a drop off in accuracy, or unless the environment factors in, (rain, mud, sand). After a good cleaning, its about 25 rds before she settles in again. Others shooting bore burners have a tendency to clean more often to extend barrel life. In my 260's and 308's this is what I have found.

I don't clean, until there is a drop off in accuracy, or unless the environment factors in, (rain, mud, sand). After a good cleaning, its about 25 rds before she settles in again. Others shooting bore burners have a tendency to clean more often to extend barrel life. In my 260's and 308's this is what I have found.

I run my 308 the same way. I clean the action and bolt between shootings, but I leave the barrel alone unless it really needs it.

Exactly! Clean it when accuracy drops off and nothing more. Then expect 20-40 rounds for your groups to tighten back up.

Maybe my gun cleaning habits are partially left over from military requirements to keep 'em clean for reliability. However, I think there is much wisdom in cleaning the weapon, then test firing and fouling it before trusting my life on it...but I see that as part of the cleaning process. here is always the possibility that I could put something together wrong, forget something, make a mistake with lubrication, and many other possibilities. so I clean, then test fire and foul.

All my bolt rifles work best after I clean, then foul with 10-20 rounds. I rarely let semi autos get all gunked up. I may run a dry nylon brush, then dry patches through the bore, wipe down and re- lube the bolt/bolt carrier as an interim measure when I won't be able to do a full clean, test and foul. But I am certainly NOT one of those guys who shoots a semi-auto without cleaning until they get unreliable.

One of the officers where I used to work complained because she couldn't qualify...her glock kept malfunctioning. she asked me to look at it, and it was filthy, and dry. I asked when it was last cleaned, and she said once after she bought it. "Someone" told her that glocks didn't need to be cleaned. After it was cleaned, and lubed, it worked fine. I asked if she still believed what "someone" told her.

Thanks for the input guys. When i first got my 700 i ran about 200rds through it then cleaned it. Went to the range a few weeks later and my groups were all over the place, i thought maybe something had come loose. Not know any better at that time i tried to re-zero it, dialing all over the place and yep after about 30rds i ended up back where i started with my turrets. Still didn't know what had happen until i watched the art of the precision rifle video and they talked about clean bore/cold bore and it all made since. After my own experience, listing to you guys and watching the video i'll just clean the bolt,action and the lug recess on semi's from now on.

aww man, this maybe my problem then, I have been testing load (about 60 rounds worth) and was getting terrible results. I did this over about 3 range sessions and after each session I would bore brush and run patches nice and lubed up. I was getting inconsistent groups that were always a good 1 to 1.5 moa and I was feeling sad. This maybe my problem and its going to be hard to go to the range and then not run patches after. thanks for the good info guys.

Few now days run moly but I still do in my Magnum rifles. I run a bore snake through the bore about 1 time per 10 rnds after a shooting session. Sometimes I'll have almost 200rnds in a match. I will clean to bare metal maybe once a yr. My ccb shot is in the same group as the rest. And after 100 rnds through the bore I have hit a 1 moa targets @ 1500yds 5 in a row.

You'll know when its time to clean when your groups start looking like you just cleaned your rifle ;)

Also, I have noticed a difference in factory rifles that I may have broken in correctly compared to those that I haven't. A good one piece cleaning rod, jags and bore guide are a prerequisite for any shooter.

Improper cleaning wearing out the crown and/or throat wrecks accuracy VERY fast. I am surprised how many people drag their cleaning rod back into the barrel with the rod on the bottom of the barrel. this wears an oval in the bottom of the crown.

So you're saying if i attached a die grinder to my cleaning rod and spun that brush up to 25000 rpm that would not be a good for the barrel;)

On the contrary, I highly recommend that anyone coming to shoot against me in a match do so with 80 grit sandpaper just before the match. That will insure that ALL fouling has been taken out of the bore (and a whole bunch of the lands too).

I will recommend this product for those that haven't used it yet. Sharp shoot R wipeout foaming bore cleaner, pretty darn good results without the harshness.

But the harshness of Sweets 7.62 is half the fun. It helps find any little nicks or cuts in your fingers by burning like red hot lava as soon as it hits 'em. I don't doubt for a minute that it disolves copper...and my fingers too.

These came in yesterday afternoon. I have to say that Jake is a great person to deal with, I'll be taking them out to break them in today :)

I must be out of it, what match? Could you pass on the details... Also, never clean 'til you have to.

Ry

Mjh30, I'll be there. Matt was my college roommate. My best friend clint is the one putting on the match. He's told me about a few of the stages and it sounds like it will be a good one. I'm heading over to help set up if you want to carpool.

This will be my first match so if anyone is on the fence about going think of it this way. There is a good chance you won't come in last, i think I'll have it locked up.