• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

I've been in the same situation as we get Cabelas gift cards at work too. I tend to load up on reloading components. Cabelas pricing on Lapua brass is pretty good - .308 brass is on sale now.

Congrats and happy shopping!

I think you should well I'm coughsharecough

1. H59.
2. are you sure you every gun niche filled? (cause its impossible...)
3. sell it for $650 cash and buy something you really need.

Hey Guys!

I got a nice surprise today! In my job, we're constantly given incentives by various manufacturers to entice us to sell their stuff to our customers. These "incentives" usually take the form of hitting a sales goal by a certain date and are usually structured so as to be just out of reach. I've won a couple over the years, but most of the contest prizes are pretty lame i.e. "win a trip to our factory in $hi+sville, Austria for 5 days (small print: includes two days of travel),... Bleh! However, one promotion that came up at the beginning of the year had one of many options for various Gift Cards, one of which was for Cabela's. I marked on the form that I'd like my prize, should I win one, to be for a Cabela's card and forgot all about it. Well, it turns out that I sold a ton of this particular companies stuff this last quarter (not on purpose) and won $700.00 (!) in Cabela's gift cards!!! Whoohooo! I'm thinking of all the various things I'd like to get, but am wondering if there's something I might not be thinking of or missing out on. Any suggestions? Here's a list of a few things I'm thinking:

1) Down-payment on a Bushnell HDMR 3-21x50 with H59 reticle (don't need it, but always wanted to play with a Horus,... Look out Palladin matches!) I've heard nothing but good things about these.
2) GoPro-HERO3 Camera system with various accessories (would be fun to get some live-action footage of stuff) This is always fun and you can use it for a variety of things.
3) Down-payment on a DPMS AR10 in .243,... (ooooooohhh,... nothin' more fun than a semi-auto laser) We just had the latest DPMS SASS... I'm not impressed. They're kind of going downhill.
4) S&W M&P Shield in 9mm (concealed carry) These are nice. We have the 40 at my work.
5) Down-payment on Leupold Mark-6 1-6x20 (for my AR) I would get the Vortex or NF before Leupold. They're having a lot of Customer Service issues lately.

I've got a good range-finder, spotting scope, etc. What would you do at Cabela's with $700.00 burning a hole in your pocket?

Ry

I would rethink anything with DPMS or Leupold at the moment.

Not to start a big scope debate, but I purchased a Nightforce F1 MLR2 and it is head and shoulders above my Leupold Mark IV. Nothing wrong with my Mark IV, but it seems more consumer grade while the NF seems more industrial grade. However, the NF is much heavier.

Not to start a big scope debate, but I purchased a Nightforce F1 MLR2 and it is head and shoulders above my Leupold Mark IV. Nothing wrong with my Mark IV, but it seems more consumer grade while the NF seems more industrial grade. However, the NF is much heavier.

No debate... NF is far greater than any Leupold out there. Leupold's glass has gone down hill along with their customer service. I have a friend who has now sent his scope off 2x to be fixed and it still isn't right. On one hand though Nightforce needs to work on their customer service as well as I've heard complaints from several people that they're slower than shit to respond if they even respond to inquiries at all. Luckily their glass is still great though. Leupold was great once... but at the moment they have some serious work to do.

Nick - Thanks brother for totally dissing my DPMS rig with the Leupold scope... (just kidding)...

By the way, got an email earlier this week that my backordered Bushnell HDMR 3-21x50 with H59 reticle scope finally shipped out, I should have her mounted on my 6.5 Grendel in time for the UNSC match this month.

Nick - Thanks brother for totally dissing my DPMS rig with the Leupold scope... (just kidding)...

By the way, got an email earlier this week that my backordered Bushnell HDMR 3-21x50 with H59 reticle scope finally shipped out, I should have her mounted on my 6.5 Grendel in time for the UNSC match this month.

Now speaking of AR platforms, I ordered a midlength light Recce upper from Noveske in Feb 2011 when they were giving away free lowers with each purchase. Many of the premium purchases I have made in life have always disappointed me in one way or another - not so with Noveske. It was perfect in every way. One of the ladies working there even slipped in a thank you note with a smiley face. I'm squared away in the AR-15 department, but if I ever had to make another purchase it would be a Noveske.

I have had nothing but fabulous service from Leupold...HOWEVER, it has been years since I needed to send anything in, and lots can happen to a great customer service department in that time. Hell, all it takes is one bad supervisor getting transferred into that department, and they can ruin decades of fabulous customer service within a few weeks.

I used to send things in, and within a week or two I could pick it up..that was when I lived just outside of portland.

Although I own a DPMS rifle, I will be happy to tell you about getting a rifle with such a short throat that cases wouldn't extract, and I had horrible pressure issues. They told me it was the magazine...shall I continue?

Leupold used to be great, but compare one of their fares from 10 years ago to something today and it's not even close. I'm not just talking about their customer service but their product as well. They've become IMO over-priced for what they offer. I like the DPMS of 2+ years ago, but the product coming through as of late seems cheaper and with less though put into it but a higher price tag.

A few (2-3) years ago I had my Lupy break on my hunting rifle 2 weeks before the opening day of bear season. I called them, they gave me an address, & return number. I shipped it with a note about what was wrong, & that it was for my bear gun, & the season started soon. I shipped it out on Thurs. It was on my door step on Mon. Mounted up, & ready the next day. They even offered to swap out the 6.5-20X one I have for a 4.5-14X if it breaks again. I was impressed.
On another note. I just did my initial ladder test with the Berger 230 Hyb TGT & right off the bat it shot a 1 1/4" X 1 1/8" group @ 432 yd. I'll be doing a couple tweaks soon to get the load finalized for the ELR match on the 29th.

A few (2-3) years ago I had my Lupy break on my hunting rifle 2 weeks before the opening day of bear season. I called them, they gave me an address, & return number. I shipped it with a note about what was wrong, & that it was for my bear gun, & the season started soon. I shipped it out on Thurs. It was on my door step on Mon. Mounted up, & ready the next day. They even offered to swap out the 6.5-20X one I have for a 4.5-14X if it breaks again. I was impressed.
On another note. I just did my initial ladder test with the Berger 230 Hyb TGT & right off the bat it shot a 1 1/4" X 1 1/8" group @ 432 yd. I'll be doing a couple tweaks soon to get the load finalized for the ELR match on the 29th.

You're trying to tell me that you shipped it on Thursday and they somehow had it fixed and back to you 4 days later Jeff? Then what ever was broke on it must have been a real easy fix and you got lucky.

Yeah. It had something rattling inside & aluminum dust on the inside of the ocular. Needless to say I was shocked to get it back so soon.

For nearly $3200 the new leupold Mk6 3-18x44 scope is a bit rich for me. I couldn't figure out why my groups got bad when I was shooting on orange dots woth my Leupold Mk4 scope. As soon as I changed to black dots, my groups went back to "normal". I checked and found that the lens coating made it difficult for me ro easily resolve the edges of targets in the red/orange end of the spectrum. Now that I figured that out Im fine with the leupold scopes. I'm sure they have some lens filter to fix that, however it got me wondering if other scopes have similar problems.

All my Leupolds are 4-6 years old, as is my DPMS. I long ago adjusted to the MOA/MIL issue, but I can see where having everything he same would make shooting much easier for people.

I have been building a doghouse for the UNSC matches. I went to the local lumberyard, and their scrap bin had a bunch of 2x4 and 2x6 pieces nearly 4-4.5 feet long. I got most of the frame done and found that one of the corner pieces was warped..but it will work fine for it's intended purpose. Besides, for free I won't complain too loudly. I will need to get some plywood to finish it. I am going to break down and buy a power saw for the plywood cutting. That is just too much repetitive motion with a handsaw.

Last edited:
The non illuminated MK6 3-18, is a lot less than that and the ones I have looked through put older Leupys to shame. Its in my opinion the best of the bunch when it comes to Leupolds latest offerings. Scott at liberty optics has some very good pricing on them..

For nearly $3200 the new leupold Mk6 3-18x44 scope is a bit rich for me. I couldn't figure out why my groups got bad when I was shooting on orange dots woth my Leupold Mk4 scope. As soon as I changed to black dots, my groups went back to "normal". I checked and found that the lens coating made it difficult for me ro easily resolve the edges of targets in the red/orange end of the spectrum. Now that I figured that out Im fine with the leupold scopes. I'm sure they have some lens filter to fix that, however it got me wondering if other scopes have similar problems.

All my Leupolds are 4-6 years old, as is my DPMS. I long ago adjusted to the MOA/MIL issue, but I can see where having everything he same would make shooting much easier for people.

I have been building a doghouse for the UNSC matches. I went to the local lumberyard, and their scrap bin had a bunch of 2x4 and 2x6 pieces nearly 4-4.5 feet long. I got most of the frame done and found that one of the corner pieces was warped..but it will work fine for it's intended purpose. Besides, for free I won't complain too loudly. I will need to get some plywood to finish it. I am going to break down and buy a power saw for the plywood cutting. That is just too much repetitive motion with a handsaw.

I have a power saw and a portable table saw if you would rather use them then buy one. No sense in spending if you don't need to... Unless you just wanted to buy one.

_Nick_ - have you checked out the Mk 6?

Not yet, but the price tag is steep. Once you get anywhere near the $2500-3k then you have to compete with S&B and that's a hard act to follow. If anyone I come across ever has one I'll definitely try to sneak a look through it though...

Thanks for all the offers with saws. As infrequently as I use one, I think I would probably do just fine buying one of the $40 saws from Harbor freight.

I have the hard stuff all done on the doghouse, and just need to put on the plywood sheeting. Design and framing was the hard part. There will be 3-4 ports on the front portion of each side, and 6-8 ports on the front. I made all the sides mirror images of each other so it will be the same to both right and left handed shooters. The inside is fairly generous and should finish out between 42-43 inches...I just can't remember right now.

Nick, I actually got my hands on the prototype a couple years ago. The 3-18x44 with the tmr, its ffp, small compact and lightweight about 24 ounces. As I said the glass puts older leupolds to shame. I think its an excellent choice for a semi. I was under the impression the pricing from some vendors was sub $2 for this model.

Between me and AtOne he has access to just about every tool under the sun lol...

Nick, I actually got my hands on the prototype a couple years ago. The 3-18x44 with the tmr, its ffp, small compact and lightweight about 24 ounces. As I said the glass puts older leupolds to shame. I think its an excellent choice for a semi. I was under the impression the pricing from some vendors was sub $2 for this model.

Leupold - Leupold Mark 6 Scopes - EuroOptic.com

Euro has them starting at just shy of $2K for the entry model. My issue is that they're now into NF and USO prices but is their glass comparable. At least it's good to know you've got behind one Marty so when I do get asked about them I know someone credible has hands on experience with it. I'm going to rock the Vortex 2.5-10x32 PST on my Frankenstein 223 when they get it out of back-order which is just shy of over 18oz but I get up to 10x which I prefer since I'm a sissy for magnification lol. That and it was super cheap :p

I just received from CDI precision a brand new DBM for a Remington 700 w/ a brand new 5rd AI magazine. My intended use just isn't in the financial cards right now, so I'm offering it up to you local guys first. Total cost to purchase would be $300+. If you're interested shoot me a pm.

Nick, have never been impressed with the quality of NF's glass, and I have two, the new models atacr, competition & beast sport the best in German glass and boy does it show compared to my scopes, but NF makes up for it in different ways. I recently pulled the barrel on my 223 to change the rail and realized I first put it together in 95, still shoots ok. Thought of replacing my nxs 2.5-10x24 with the MK6 but can't bare to part with it.

Ok, plan B, I'm going shooting on Sunday morning now. If anyone wants to go let me know.

Looks like I wont be shooting on Sunday now, the wife wants me to take her out on the bike instead. Guess I have to keep the little lady happy every once in a while.

So, once again I am planning on going to UNSC to shoot Friday morning (unless I get called into work again). I am going to be working some load development for a few gas guns and verifying my bolt gun zero one last time before the match. This will be the last chance for anyone who wants to check out the range (who hasn't been there yet)before the match on Saturday. Let me know if anyone is interested in going, I can take a guest or two with me.

For all Puget Sound shooters...

Please take a look at Flatline Ops website and PM me if there is anything that interests you. I will be placing an order (but can add more) if you would like. Just PM me what interests you. Can take CC, cash or bushels of wheat... I'm pretty local regardless.

I will look forward to UNSC on Saturday. Sure looks like a fun event!

The doghouse for the UNSC practical rifle matches is finished. The ports are mirror imaged on both sides so it is neutral for right, or left handed shooters. There are 12 ports on the front,(6/6), and three on the forward portion of each side. Internally it is about 42 inches square. Flat roof is 43.5 long by 48 wide, and is braced strongly enough to lay on and shoot.

Now I have to get it out to the gun club...

The doghouse for the UNSC practical rifle matches is finished. The ports are mirror imaged on both sides so it is neutral for right, or left handed shooters. There are 12 ports on the front,(6/6), and three on the forward portion of each side. Internally it is about 42 inches square. Flat roof is 43.5 long by 48 wide, and is braced strongly enough to lay on and shoot.

I can move it

I'm dying to see the dog house... Can you post pics?

Kevin,
Call me and we can arrange a time for you to come by and pick it up.

Flashfire,
Sorry, but I don't have the stuff necessary to post photos. I have an old cell ohone that barely allows me to email photos to myself. Trying to figure out how to post photos here is beyond my interest..and probably beyond my equipment's capacity.

For the info of all. Just got an email from Midway USA. They have 100 count 175 SMK in stock right now. If history tells anything, they wont last long.

Jason,
Yes, it got posted. You must be one of the emails that keeps getting returned to me. If you send me another email, I will send it out to you again. Send the email address to [email protected].

ALL UNSC SHOOTERS: I will have to modify the golf ball stage as I was just told today that all the balls have to be at the 100 yard line. We will still shoot golf balls, but I have to do something other than having three starts for each shooter. Ideas gladly received. Maybe something like hit 10 balls as fast as you can with a 15 shot max. Alternative ideas that allow us to use time as the score would be great. I'm not set on anything yet.

I will probably have a new parapet prop ready by then too...the lumber yard is probably regretting telling me "take all you want" out of the cut off bin.

Weather report says Saturday should be great weather.

We had a Cooper's hawk land on the birdfeeder in our backyard this evening. We watched him hunting for rodents for about 20 minutes. What a neat bird...only 20 yards or so from my back deck. It might have been a red tail, but I think it was a cooper's hawk. Regardless of which one, he was beautiful!

Sacshooter,
Your first post in the local boys forum...That is flattering..

Now that's odd - I went from 207 posts to 1. Who did I piss off? I can see my other posts in this forum and others. Strange. Maybe because I posted from behind enemy lines in Chicago.

Last edited:
I know you have been around..I was just ribbing you. Apparently they have had some server issues, and you aren't the only person that happened to.

I know you have been around..I was just ribbing you. Apparently they have had some server issues, and you aren't the only person that happened to.

Ah yes - could be issues with the NSA monitoring software. Just kidding....

Last edited:
I find it interesting that as I scroll through my recent posts, the post count doesn't go up with each post. 1709 is the number so far..I'll have to watch and see if it ever changes. I don't believe post count has nearly as much bearing on the value I should put onto someones message, as the actual content of the message. A stupid or brilliant posting is just that whether it is post #4 or post #4000..