• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up Puget Sound Area Shooter's Group

Yeah,... Adventure Sports has never been known for their discounts, but they don't gouge like some... they're good people. I just got 5-lbs of Varget from them. I like going in there and chatting with John, Jim, and Gary,... It's a good shop. A little too 'hunting' focused for me, but still has lots of good stuff.

Anyone been in to Kesselring's since they dropped their FFL? I know their license expired at the end of September, and they had a blow-out on the firearms they had on-hand. Personally, I picked up a 'fair' deal on a Browning Citori 525 Over-n-Under,... shot it last week on some trap and 5-stand,... TONS of fun! I SUCK, but the shotgun handled it like a champ! I can see why guys blow tons of money shooting shotguns! Just what I need,... another expensive hobby,... :)

I heard Kesselring's was going to seriously extend their optics and reloading displays as most of the floorspace was previously devoted to firearms,... I'm not sure what that means exactly, but it will be interested to see.

Ry

There are still a couple of spots open for this weekend's match at UNSC. Next match will be the first Saturday in November, on November 2nd.

The course of fire for the November match should be out soon. Because we like to cross check each other, I sent the tentative course of fire to Kevin for his review. After I hear back from Kevin with his input, I'll send out the course of fire the November 02 match...it is only a couple of weeks away from this weekend's match.

1. Craig C.
2. Laurel C.
3. Joe C.
4. Jason A.
5. Jason G.
6. Mike W.
7. Russ H.
8. Eric B.
9. Rod G. (RO)
10. Martin H.
11. Josh D.
12. Alan H.
13. Josh L.
14. Steven E.
15. John M.
16. Ryan B.
17. Jeremy B.
18. Cody H.
19. Dan H.
20. Travis R.
21. Craig R.
22. Jeremy L.
29. Kevin D.
30. Anton G.

If anyone wants to be added to the mailing list, send a short email to that effect to [email protected].

Here is the tentative course of fire for the 02 Nov 2013 match at UNSC:

100 yard range

Stage 1. Rooftop as barricade:
12 rounds, 12 points possible, 90 seconds
The rooftop prop will be opened and placed on it's side with the pointed end toward the shooter. The two 90 degree angle props will be placed at the bottom of each end of the rooftop to act as fault lines.

Targets will be a 10" circle on the inside on both sides, and a 6" square on the outside on both sides (two targets per side).

Shooter will begin with 4 rounds loaded into their rifle in the over watch position on either side of the barricade. After the start signal, shooter will fire one round on each target on that side, and repeat (4 rounds total). Rounds must be fired underneath the top ledge of the roof top. Shooter then moves to the opposite side and repeats. Shooter then moves to one side of the point of the roof top and fires one round on each target on the side where they started (2 rounds total). Then move to the other side of the point, and fire one round on each of the targets on that side.

Stage 2: Parapet and box.
12 rounds, 90 seconds, 15 points possible
Shoot area #1 is the parapet, shoot area 2 is inside the 4' square box placed about 3-5 yards from shoot area 1. Targets are a 50% IPSC, 66% IPSC, 8" round, and two mini targets. (minis are a 3"x5"diamond and 2"x4" rectangle)

Shooter begins behind the parapet, at low ready, with up to 9 rounds loaded in their rifle. After the start signal, shooter fires one round on each target from each of the 3 levels of the parapet (9 rounds total). With an empty rifle, shooter moves to the box (about 4' square), reloads, and then has a choice of firing one round on each of the large targets (worth 1 point each), or alternating firing rounds at the mini targets (worth 2 points each) until their 3 rounds have been fired. Positions allowed in the box are offhand, squatting, kneeling, or seated.
*Large targets are worth 1 point each
Mini targets are worth 2 points each (maybe 3...to be decided)

550 yard range:
Targets placed as follows:
left right
200 yds: 5.5"x8.5" 6" sq
300 yds: 8" rnd 5.5"x8.5"
375 yds 10" rnd 8" rnd
450 yds: 50% IPSC 12" rnd
535 yds: 50% IPSC 66% IPSC

Stage 1: Crooked doghouse
12 rounds, 100 seconds, 12 points possible
The doghouse prop will be rotated 45 degrees so that the side ports are as exposed as the frontal ports.
Shooter begins with up to 12 rounds loaded in their rifle. After the start signal, shooter will fire 2 rounds through each of the 3 ports on the side of the doghouse. Shooter will then fire 2 rounds each through 3 different ports on the front of the doghouse. As there are only 10 targets on the range, if the shooter has rounds left over after clearing targets 1-10, they may re-engage targets of their choosing. However, they must let the RO know which targets to watch for hits prior to firing the shots. All targets to be shot near to far (except for the targets hit AFTER shooter has hit the first 10 targets).

Stage 2: Horizontal barricade
Barricade prop is about 2'6"X6'5" and will be placed horizontally with the support braces acting as fault lines. After the start signal, shooter will fire 4 rounds from one end of the barricade, 4 rounds over the top of the barricade, and 4 rounds from the other end of the barricade. Shooter may allow only one elbow to rest on the ground outside the fault line, and the remainder of shooter's body must remain behind cover. If the shooter has hit each target and has rounds left over, shooter may tell the RO which targets they wish to engage with their last 2 rounds. All targets to be shot near to far (except targets hit after shooters have completed hitting the first 10).

Stage 3: All the above (this stage will be used if time permits)
Doghouse facing downrange, and horizontal barricade.

Shooter begins in overwatch position using the doghouse roof for support. Shooter begins with only 2 rounds loaded in rifle. After the start signal, shooter fires 2 rounds from the top of the doghouse, shooter then moves to the barricade and loads with up to 6 rounds. Shooter then fires 2 rounds around one end (not over the top of the barricade), 2 rounds from the top of the barricade, and 2 rounds around the remaining end. Shooter then moves back to the doghouse, and loads with up to 4 rounds. Shooter then fires 2 rounds through one port next to any wall, then fires 2 rounds from the mirror image of the first wall port on the opposite wall. If the shooter has hit each target and has rounds left, shooter may tell the RO which targets they wish to engage with their last 2 rounds. All targets to be shot near to far (except for targets hit after hitting the first 10 targets)

Last edited:
None of you guys looking for a sweet 308 package deal? :)

I'm over in Silverdale and have a nice one - see the sale ad, shooting mat, laser, will throw in a shooting glove if you need it, hardcase box, tools, brand new A5 stock, USO SN6/ST10, rifle was built by Ed Lapour (The guy that built the 100 year anniversary springfield 03).

698 eight four eight three if interested!

Hey all - heard you had a terrific match. Just landed here in India and will have serious withdrawal symptoms until I get back in three weeks.

We had another great match at UNSC today! I want to thank the RO's for all of their work. Without them we would not be able to put on a match like this every month. Here are the scores from today:

Stage 1 was 100 yard range barricade, stage 2 was 100 yard underneath, stage 3 was 550 yard range over the barrel, stage 4 was 550 yard barricade, stage 5 was parapet/wavy arm target and stage 6 was fast barricade.

Another great match, Some stages made much more difficult by mother nature.
Scoring well sometimes Just depended on if you we're fortunate enough to see all your targets out to 530 yards or not on a couple of the stages, me unfortunately the furthest I could see was 200 on the barricade stage, quite a few people we're in the same boat and others we're lucky enough to have it clear enough to be able to make the shots.
Still a fun day and plenty challenging. Thanks to all the RO's for their time !
r296hy.jpg

Good shooting everybody. The fog definitely was a bummer, nonetheless I had a great time. Thanks to the MD and ROs. See you all in 2 weeks!

Thanks for another great match Kevin, Anton and ROs.

Weather(fog) was a huge factor for sure. We can't take these scores/rankings too seriously....

Had to work sorry I couldnt make it. Hope everyone has fun!!!!

When clearing off the firing line after the match, we ended up with a black zipper hoddie with orange letters "HMK" on both the center of the back, and left breast. If it is yours, let me know. I'll bring it to the November match, or if you need it sooner, we can arrange for you to meet me and pick it up.

Fantastic pictures Laurel, they give a little bit of an idea of the fog that we had to battle with. I really need to work on my standing unsupported form...

Thanks for the videos, it's a great way to see what you're doing right and what you're doing wrong.

Yeah that's me in that picture. On one of my stages of the day I was unable to engage targets all the way out because the last two were completely covered by fog and anything past 4 or 5 I had to be walked into by the RO.. Obviously this took much longer and used up the time quickly.

Oh well doesn't matter, it was a ton of fun

Last edited:
Yeah that's me in that picture. On one of my stages of the day I was unable to engage targets all the way out because the last two were completely covered by fog. Cleaned the stage until I could no longer see what to shoot so at that point I sat and timed out. I still wonder if it would have been worth it to burn two shots just to stop the clock or if the RO's should have just recorded time of the last shot since the top spots usually get broken by time.
I believe they were just using the time of the last shot. That's a good question though because normally I'd argue that if a shooter times out on a stage they should be charged with the full time of the stage since they actually used the full time, not simply awarded the time of their last shot. Obviously in a situation where there's fog that wouldn't be fair though, so I'd say it's reasonable to just charge the shooter with the time they used to the last shot they could take in the case of fog.

If a shooter times out the stage, and the buzzer sounds, they accrue a penalty of double the potential points for any shot fired at .51 seconds after the part time. In other words, for a 90 second par time, a shot at 90.50 does not accrue a penalty. A shot at 90.51 gets double the potential points for that shot..and they do NOT get the points for any target they may have hit with the over time shot.

The timers are set up to record the last shot. So if a shooter hits 16 out of 18 possible points at 86.75 seconds (on a 90 second par) then that is their score. We record the 16 points, and the time.

Our rules require that everyone make a good faith attempt to complete the course of fire. Firing one of two hits won't work, because the hits are more important than than time. Essentially, shooters need to get as many points as possible within the time frame. We don't charge them for the potential par time because there may be a difference between how quickly people locate and engage targets. If I am looking for my next target at 88.5 seconds, and someone else fires their last shot at 88.4 seconds and then gets the same score as I did, they actually got their hits .1 second faster than I did, and deserve to be ahead. If we gave both shooters the 90 second par time, there would be no way to reward the shooter who was .1 second faster. Hence our recording the time of the last shot.

REGARDING FOG: For future matches, if we encounter fog like we had at the match on the 19th, we will have to either modify the courses of fire, not shoot until fog clears, or do something else. Obviously we can't control nature, and if the fog is not consistent from shooter to shooter, the stage really can't be completely fair. If the fog lifts a bit giving one group of shooters an extra 100 yards of visibility, that is a huge advantage. So we will adjust the course of fire to compensate.

There is also the potential for deer to wander onto the range and not be seen because of the fog. So we will modify our match to insure a fair and even match for everyone, and keep the deer safe.

Has anyone been to the Acme spot lately? Snow on the ground? A friend from out of town that I would like to take up there. Maybe a few more interested in joining?

Shooters,
The Washington Winter Steel match might be a good way to find out if the UNSC matches helped keep you tuned up, and maybe even improve a wee bit. Best of luck to all who attend it. Funny thing is that the more I practice, the luckier I seem to get. Go get 'em people!

Ive been reading the reports from the UNSC matches and have to say it looks fun! Might have to come out and watch one time. Dont really have a rifle that would work as of now. My Savage 10 is only a 4 round mag. Suppose i could use my AR but id have to get a different scope (one upper has a 1-4 and the other is getting a SWFA fixed 16x). All i know is just reading about the fun you guys have makes me want to go buy/build/modify a gun and come out and shoot!

just out of curiosity what calibers are most of the people using?

Has anyone been to the Acme spot lately? Snow on the ground? A friend from out of town that I would like to take up there. Maybe a few more interested in joining?

I'm driving past there right now. There's no snow at all.

Ive been reading the reports from the UNSC matches and have to say it looks fun! Might have to come out and watch one time. Dont really have a rifle that would work as of now. My Savage 10 is only a 4 round mag. Suppose i could use my AR but id have to get a different scope (one upper has a 1-4 and the other is getting a SWFA fixed 16x). All i know is just reading about the fun you guys have makes me want to go buy/build/modify a gun and come out and shoot!

Probably the most common caliber is the 308 in either bolt gun or semi-auto. Here are the ones I can remember seeing on the range:

5.56x45
6.5 Grendel
6mm Grendel (I can't remember what it is called though)
260 Remington
6.5x47
243 AI
30-06
6.5-06, or 25-06 (I can't remember which one, but it was a necked down 30-06)
6.5 Creedmoor

Even with your rifle having only a 4 round magazine, you would be able to start many stages with 5 rounds in your rifle. If you practiced loading onto the feed ramp, I think you will be surprised at how fast it can be done...especially if you have one of the ammo carriers on your left forearm, and load with your right hand. Of course it won't be as fast as a high cap magazine, but you would be able to get in plenty of shooting and some great practice even with the rifle you have. I shot one match with an AR15 that had an ACOG mounted on it, and found it lacking in magnification for the 535 yard targets, but I still had fun.

I think most fellows shoot bolt rifles, but there are getting to be more semi-autos. We try and keep the majority of targets sized at a minimum of 2-3 moa. The notable exception to that was when we shot golf balls (1.62 inches) at 100 yards. Those little buggers are tough to hit from field positions..much harder than when they are shot from a nice bench rest position..

In any case, c'mon out and shoot a match. I think you will have fun regardless of your magazine capacity issue.

Honestly come out and shoot ! Watching is OK but really the fun is in participating.
Its the best group of people to hang out with for the day and if you have any questions while your there someone will help you out.
For your first match as long as you keep things in perspective you'll have a blast.

1. Safety, Don't worry about time just concentrate on safe firearms handling, Speed will come down the road when your comfortable with the matches and positions.But learning how to safely operate your rifle and yourself from multiple position's is more important than a high score.

2. Have fun ! Seriously there's no prizes the only goal for each person is to learn something from the match, good or bad they both teach you what worked and what you need to work on...did I mention to have fun ?

3. Don't worry about your score or the timer, Too many people show up expecting to tear it up when they've rarely ever shot out of prone or something other than off the bench. Just try to hit what your aiming for and if it doesn't work then it gives you something to work on and figure out later. Scores really should be looked at individually and not how you did against someone else. Personal improvement is the most important thing not what place you came in.

4. Gear, Run what you have...yea I know its not perfect for the match but if your competing against yourself then what does it matter ? 4 round mags work and so does single feeding so don't feel its a equipment game just yet. If your intentions are to learn and have fun then any gun will do ;)

Hope that helps answer any of your questions and if and when you show up be sure to talk to people and let them know its your first match and I guarantee they'll be there to help you out !

Velillen, 16x is a little too much for anything less than 300 yards other than punching paper. In a match setting because of the narrow field of view, takes too much time to acquire targets, been down that road, have a nice fixed 16x IOR sitting here at home. SWFA makes a nice 12x which imho is a much better alternative than the 16x.

Villien,
I think Atone's point #4 is outstanding. In truth, I'll bet that 90% of the people there wish they had something different on their setup..whether that is rifle, ammo, scope, cartridge, bipod, shooting bags, knees or feet (me), almost all of us wish we had something different.

But you work with what you have. A good musician never blames the instrument..he makes the best music he can with the one he has. About 25% of the time, the gear I run is decided by what is working best, what I have ammo for or something like that. If the zombie appocalypse happened tomorrow, you would be using what you have..so try out that gear and figure out which skills you need to practice more, or which gear works better (or worse) than you expected.

As there are no prizes, it is all about learning anyhow. I am my own greatest foe. If I can overcome my shortcomings and shoot up to my ability, I feel it was a great match regardless of where I place on the list.

We would enjoy having you come out and join us.

Guys looks like Chris has about 8-10 slots left for his Vantage winter match. Hope to see some new faces out there. That also reminds me to reload for Saturdays match, if I have time.

In the Winter Steel match announcement is says out to 1400 yards -- that would be ELR for most people.

Thanks for the tips guys. Ill make it one of these weekends if they stop falling on weekends that I already have plans on lol.

As for the gear...Im sure i can make things work. im actually used to single loading my 308 since thats how i do it from the bench most of the time. But we will see...i do have a new 223 upper being built that might actually work perfectly. And a SWFA 12x on the way (canceled my 16x and went with the 12x for unrelated reasons...but it will work better for this). And i definitely wouldnt care about score. Just looks fun to shoot really.

One of these times ill b able ot make it.

Spot on, Joe 1/75th, Chris's Vantage Winter match is just going to be a regular practical/tactical match all the targets are within a 1000, just that long one at 1400 for those that want to try I suppose. I was pretty sure there was some picture somewhere around SHWW from the last match out there.

Last edited:
Figured I'd post this here for the locals.

This is some thing that I no longer have a need for and want to trade it for the most part Id like a shooter not a collector/ Safe queen.

This is a Single Action Only Sig Sauer compact that comes with 2 flush 6Rd mags and an 8rd mag. It has night sights and and extremely awesome trigger pull.

Need to see a WA DL and a CPL or WAC card and must be 21 or older.

Im looking for Glocks in 9mm or 45acp only and must be gen 3. Prefer all stock guns no modifications. You will add cash on top

Other trades would be ARs that are name brand and no home builds. High end Bows.
Bushnell Elite 1600 arc range finders. Manfrotto 055CXPRO3/190CXPRO3 tripods all trade will need cash on top depending on the AR-15

Asking $900 OBO Dont hesitate to make me an offer for a trade or a cash price.

I wasn't feeling good yesterday, but figured I'd sleep it off and be good as gold to go down to Nisqually for the shoot today. Nothin' doin',... I feel like crap (flu-ish, feverish, achy),... I'm going to have to pass on this one. Sorry guys,... let me know how it goes.

Ry

I wasn't feeling good yesterday, but figured I'd sleep it off and be good as gold to go down to Nisqually for the shoot today. Nothin' doin',... I feel like crap (flu-ish, feverish, achy),... I'm going to have to pass on this one. Sorry guys,... let me know how it goes.

Ry

You and me both Ryan, Made it half way to work yesterday before I gave up and went home, Have been down and out since, Fist sick day I've taken in about 12 years.

Sucks that it couldn't wait a few days to hit, I'm loaded and ready to go lol.
Hope everyone has a great day out there, really do wish I was there too.

You and me both Ryan, Made it half way to work yesterday before I gave up and went home, Have been down and out since, Fist sick day I've taken in about 12 years.

Sucks that it couldn't wait a few days to hit, I'm loaded and ready to go lol.
Hope everyone has a great day out there, really do wish I was there too.

Same here, I rarely get sick, but whatever this it's definitely took hold. Wish I could have made it, but the bug got me too.