• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

PVA Status Updates: Hancock Rifle & NUCLEUS Barreled Action

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the update, the nucleus I have on order will be becoming a 22 creedmoor mainly for varmints but may see some shorter PRS style matches from time to time.

@RFutch ordered a custom chamber with a short throat.
His is almost up for cutting but the lead from NSS on a custom throated barrel is 16 weeks. The delay in contours arriving for certain things is a very large part of why we're contouring in house and using 1 machine for chambering/threading and 1 machine for cutting contours. That was the only way to get caught up with contours not arriving.

@bohem I have some Criterion Savage prefit barrels, a Savage action, and Barloc with barrel nut. The threads on the Criterion prefits and I have heard a Proof CF prefit do not extend far enough so that I can't headspace the barrel. The Barloc is just barely too thick. A buddy got the Barloc to headspace with the thinner factory recoil lug.

Are your Savage prefits threaded far enough so that they will headspace for a Savage action?
I gotta presume that they will work with the Nucleus, and I am hoping that they are threaded enough for a Savage action.

I am wishing I ordered a John Hancock too... Good work. Thanks.

Reactions: jgs8163
@bohem I have some Criterion Savage prefit barrels, a Savage action, and Barloc with barrel nut. The threads on the Criterion prefits and I have heard a Proof CF prefit do not extend far enough so that I can't headspace the barrel. The Barloc is just barely too thick. A buddy got the Barloc to headspace with the thinner factory recoil lug.

Are your Savage prefits threaded far enough so that they will headspace for a Savage action?
I gotta presume that they will work with the Nucleus, and I am hoping that they are threaded enough for a Savage action.

I am wishing I ordered a John Hancock too... Good work. Thanks.
That's a VERY good question. Unfortunately I don't have a Savage action here to test that with right now but I can tell you our prefits will headspace using the BarLoc and ARC barloc collar on a Nucleus and the Bighorn TL3.

We typically thread 0.1" longer than Criterion however I'm not sure what the engagement length is for a PROOF.

If we need to make something longer for it to work for you though, no sweat. It's 1 variable to change in our program and I'll make it happen.

If you have a Savage I can borrow for a day then I'd be happy to measure it and figure out the answer to it based on varying recoil lug thicknesses.

I'd have to ship it to you. If I shipped it, could I have you get the measurement for future barrels, and also just machine back the face of the action so I can run the Barloc with the barrels I do have? Kinda like an aggressive truing job... I wouldn't think that cutting back the action would make any material difference as far as safety or useability.

I'd have a shorter action, but I can just machine back the recoil lug pocket in the stock. It's an HS Precision with the bedding block, so no biggie.

If that is something you could do and wouldn't be more expense than a Savage action is worth, feel free to PM and I can call or email other info.

I have to believe that there are other guys who will run into a similar issue with what is out there. I am really hoping the thread engagement in the Nucleus and Origin is shorter so I can run my Proof and Criterion prefits with it.

Thanks.

I'd have to ship it to you. If I shipped it, could I have you get the measurement for future barrels, and also just machine back the face of the action so I can run the Barloc with the barrels I do have? Kinda like an aggressive truing job... I wouldn't think that cutting back the action would make any material difference as far as safety or useability.

I'd have a shorter action, but I can just machine back the recoil lug pocket in the stock. It's an HS Precision with the bedding block, so no biggie.

If that is something you could do and wouldn't be more expense than a Savage action is worth, feel free to PM and I can call or email other info.

I have to believe that there are other guys who will run into a similar issue with what is out there. I am really hoping the thread engagement in the Nucleus and Origin is shorter so I can run my Proof and Criterion prefits with it.

Thanks.

We can certainly measure it and keep the information for future builds.
The other option of cutting back the face is a possibility depending on how much needs to be cut back. It might not be feasible to take it all off the action but a balance might be found between a thinner recoil lug and a trim job on the action.

Of course, it might also just be easier to make a thread relief on the back side of the tenon area on the barrels that you do have so that you can run them with a slight mod and no permanent mods to the action and stock.
There might be a few ways to skin this cat, I'm happy to discuss it with you.

Reactions: character0
@bohem I've got a question about your shouldered Nucleus pre-fits.

On your website there is an option to have the pre-fit cut for the Barloc. Is it only for the shouldered barrel Barloc?

I've pre-ordered a Nucleus and a Nucleus Barloc. The Nucleus Barloc comes with a Barrel nut instead of a front ring of the shouldered version. Assuming I could get my hands on that ring, could you shoulder pre-fit for the Barloc configured with the collar flanked by a ring on the barrel side and that special Nucleus recoil lug on the receiver side?

Any updates on .223 rock creek TL3 pre fits

The ones that we had blanks to cut are in the midst of having the muzzles cut now. We were short on blanks so we got about a dozen chambered and we're awaiting more blanks from Rock Creek. I have a call with them this afternoon to confirm the count on blanks coming in the next shipment. That shipment should be trucked tomorrow or Monday. It depends where they are in the lapping process.

@bohem I've got a question about your shouldered Nucleus pre-fits.

On your website there is an option to have the pre-fit cut for the Barloc. Is it only for the shouldered barrel Barloc?

I've pre-ordered a Nucleus and a Nucleus Barloc. The Nucleus Barloc comes with a Barrel nut instead of a front ring of the shouldered version. Assuming I could get my hands on that ring, could you shoulder pre-fit for the Barloc configured with the collar flanked by a ring on the barrel side and that special Nucleus recoil lug on the receiver side?

You can order a shouldered barrel without the BarLoc for the Nucleus. The option to add in a BarLoc cut is an add-on. The Nucleus BL cut involves using the Nucleus-specific recoil lug for the BarLoc.

Reactions: DEWD_STUFF
You can order a shouldered barrel without the BarLoc for the Nucleus. The option to add in a BarLoc cut is an add-on. The Nucleus BL cut involves using the Nucleus-specific recoil lug for the BarLoc.
Thanks, I'm aware that I can order the barrel without the Barloc cut, but I like the idea of being able to change the barrel using only a hex key.

Uh-oh. I bought a Proof Savage prefit and Barlow for my Nucleus...

Word of advice to all the impatient customers.

Do yourself a favor and start following the keto diet.... You will be so busy thinking about French fries, pizza, and pasta, you wont have time to think about your nucleus or JHR.

Ask me how I know.

Do yourself a favor and start following the keto diet.... You will be so busy thinking about French fries, pizza, and pasta, you wont have time to think about your nucleus or JHR.

Ask me how I know.

Been keto for year and half, doesn't help?

The TL3 has a shorter headspace length than the Savage does and it also depends what recoil lug thickness is being used on the Savage.
How does that compare to the Nucleus headspace length?

Thanks.

Ask me how I know.
Buy a spiral cutter and replace pasta with zucchini noodles. Awesome - ask me how I know haha

Before we get too far off the beaten path and turn this thread into recipes and baking, here's the answer to a few questions:

The TL3 is shorter than a Savage.
The Nucleus is shorter than the TL3.
The exact specs I'm not posting. I will simply ignore the question.

Order # for a barrel is only part of the story. Right now I'm going through contours as fast as the TL1 will allow, it's 1234am here and the machine is running while I check on PM's.

@RFutch ordered a 1-off barrel that was coming up on 12 weeks like he was quoted for a custom barrel. If I didn't chamber it when I did then the likelihood of 12 weeks wasn't going to happen. There are a TON of 6.5mm Creedmoor barrels in various flavors and I am stacking the contours up on those while I try to clear out old 223's, old 6mm orders, and the other low quantity barrels so that we can streamline how many 6.5mm Creeds come off the machine. That's the quickest way to having them out the door for everyone. We are doing our best to get barrels out while we have 1 machine chambering and 1 cutting contours.

All that being said, I will try to answer pertinent questions but as someone said before, if I'm sitting on the forum instead of cutting chips take a guess what's going to happen to the lead time...

And I happen to like zuccinni noodles. Sauteed with some garlic, onions and a little bit of red pepper flakes... Goes well with venison meatballs.

Thanks.

In the Nucleus specs, ARC says "The distance from the bolt face to the forward face of the recoil lug is 0.825 +/-0.001 inches."

I just don't know the numbers for a TL3 or Savage but now I know my Nucleus should be more compatible which is good because I bought a Savage take-off barrel for times when I want to shoot surplus 7.62*51.

Buy a spiral cutter and replace pasta with zucchini noodles. Awesome - ask me how I know haha

I'll take spaghetti squash over zuchini.

Anyone know the thickness of the recoil lug on the Nucleus? Will it work with all 700 fpotprint chassies?

I'll take spaghetti squash over zuchini.

Anyone know the thickness of the recoil lug on the Nucleus? Will it work with all 700 fpotprint chassies?
Oh, I'm a fan of spaghetti squash too - made some chicken parm w/ it and almond flour.

Has anyone who has received a barloc installed it on an MPA chassis? That's my only concern.

@bohem your updates are very much appreciated! I'm one of the ones who has a hard time dealing with long lead times, but your updates definitely help.

Would love to see a breakdown of batches. I thought I saw somewhere that you were breaking them into 30-day intervals.

I'm also curious how the KRG Bravo lefty conversion process is coming along. I had a feeling being left handed was going to push my order further out, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Keep 'em coming!

@bohem your updates are very much appreciated! I'm one of the ones who has a hard time dealing with long lead times, but your updates definitely help.

I'm trying to make a note to provide updates as much as I can. We're working a split shift at the shop to get more spindle time out of 2 guys.

Would love to see a breakdown of batches. I thought I saw somewhere that you were breaking them into 30-day intervals.
That's the sum of it. The more I sit on a forum writing the less machine work is done.

I'm also curious how the KRG Bravo lefty conversion process is coming along. I had a feeling being left handed was going to push my order further out, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.

Keep 'em coming!

Those are still in the works, I'm a southpaw and I'm still shooting the RH prototype while we get the RH rifles out the door. The LH conversion is definitely something being worked on but it's not getting the attention that a dedicated person would give it because there is only 1 guy running CAD and programming around here.

I'm trying to make a note to provide updates as much as I can. We're working a split shift at the shop to get more spindle time out of 2 guys.

That's the sum of it. The more I sit on a forum writing the less machine work is done.

Those are still in the works, I'm a southpaw and I'm still shooting the RH prototype while we get the RH rifles out the door. The LH conversion is definitely something being worked on but it's not getting the attention that a dedicated person would give it because there is only 1 guy running CAD and programming around here.
Thanks for the update. When will the 6.5 barrels from the Nucleus barrel buy special you ran begin to ship?

Reactions: atomic41
Thanks for the update. When will the 6.5 barrels from the Nucleus barrel buy special you ran begin to ship?
Soon.
Jeremy handed me the list on Friday for the contours and I started on them yesterday morning. Tuesday we're going to be cutting chambers/breech details on the first ones that were contoured. One machine is contouring and one is cutting chambers. After we pile up some chambers I'll swap workholding and cut muzzles.

That's about as detailed as I can give you.

...The more I sit on a forum writing the less machine work is done...

I'm just as anxious to get my JHR as anyone else, but the more questions he answers, the longer it will be before anyone gets anything. They need rest and are working many hours, any time they spend posting here, they are not working on orders. Just because they are trying their best to be a responsive business we can be responsible customers and let them work.

Reactions: Ankeny
What's up Josh? I'm still pondering my two Nucleus builds, I think I want a switch barrel 28 nosler with a barloc for the long action . As we discussed, with a proof barrel for hunting, and a steel one for long range steel that I'll swap out with exact same chambers. Should I get a savage pre-fit or shouldered barrel barloc for that? I don't know which came with the pre-order but I ordered one back in Feb with my two nucleus builds.

Contemplating a 223 trainer for my short action and MAY get another barloc to swap b/w that barrel and a 6br or Dasher for comps.

Posted here in case it helps others or others can help answer. Thanks.

The shouldered-barrel barloc is the one that came with the barreled action deal on the PVA site, but last i heard, you can change it to the nut version, it just costs a bit more.

What's up Josh? I'm still pondering my two Nucleus builds, I think I want a switch barrel 28 nosler with a barloc for the long action . As we discussed, with a proof barrel for hunting, and a steel one for long range steel that I'll swap out with exact same chambers. Should I get a savage pre-fit or shouldered barrel barloc for that? I don't know which came with the pre-order but I ordered one back in Feb with my two nucleus builds.

Contemplating a 223 trainer for my short action and MAY get another barloc to swap b/w that barrel and a 6br or Dasher for comps.

Posted here in case it helps others or others can help answer. Thanks.
Get a shouldered version. We ordered a blank for your steel barrel based on the shouldered setup.

Get a shouldered version. We ordered a blank for your steel barrel based on the shouldered setup.

I was probably unclear, I ordered the actions through ARC, not the barreled action gb. I'm just planning to use you for the builds @bohem. The ARC site didn't specify which barloc it was we ordered.

I was probably unclear, I ordered the actions through ARC, not the barreled action gb. I'm just planning to use you for the builds @bohem. The ARC site didn't specify which barloc it was we ordered.

I believe the $50 Nucleus specific barloc that was offered during the preorder period is the shouldered style, although the picture depicted the barrel nut style. That discrepancy was noted on another thread and I believe that ARC said that it could be taken care of due to the parts compatibility between the two versions. I have a 223 savage prefit on order from PVA that’s beinf setup to use my AEM5 suppressor so I’m in a similar boat.

I've been reading everything I can find and so far nothing suggests the $50 special was anything beside the pictured barrel nut version.

From what I understand, Ted agreed to substitute shoulder versions for people who ordered from PVA because PVA had ordered shoulder size barrel blanks for the pre-fits.

I want barrel nuts and I think it will be a bit hard for them to say "nevermind the product photos, here is your shoulder style Barloc"...

OMG not more BarLoc confusion. We better let Josh and Jeremy get back to work guys.

Guys, please take the barloc discussion elsewhere. It's been hashed out ad nauseum in other threads on this forum and we have not gotten any update on it. We worked to what ARC told us, if something changes we'll comment about it. Until then, there are probably 3 threads on Barlocs at this point. Let's keep it there.

I've been reading everything I can find and so far nothing suggests the $50 special was anything beside the pictured barrel nut version.

From what I understand, Ted agreed to substitute shoulder versions for people who ordered from PVA because PVA had ordered shoulder size barrel blanks for the pre-fits.

I want barrel nuts and I think it will be a bit hard for them to say "nevermind the product photos, here is your shoulder style Barloc"...
It's like a damn bad sitcom at this point...

So we're getting closer - I received my barrels from Josh this past week. Now just trying to fight the urge to tear apart my savage to shoot them while I wait haha

It's like a damn bad sitcom at this point...

So we're getting closer - I received my barrels from Josh this past week. Now just trying to fight the urge to tear apart my savage to shoot them while I wait haha

What caliber Winny?

Im hoping the nucleus ships before winter picks up here in New Mexico. Love to shoot before the snow fall! Hope do you think the nucleus will compare to the impact precision or tl3? Purely from performance.. Not price

Not sure what you mean by performance but the prototype action here is smooth and reliable. Excellent extraction, excellent ejection, and the Hancock production barrel in 6 creed is about 1,760rds of factory hornady 108 eldm ammo with groups near and far that rival customs costing 2+x as much

Status
Not open for further replies.