• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report PVM-21 (2008) Installation on PC

Lowlight

HMFIC of this Shit
Staff member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 12, 2001
    Base of the Rockies
    www.snipershide.com
    Okay,

So I finally got around to setting up my PVM-21 and went to install the software on my laptop. Well I can't get the PC to recognize the unit.

It's there, but I am getting the red comport flashing and trying to update the drivers it tells me they are not there, or not right or something. (friggin windows and drivers)

So, here is the deal, I have a brand new Laptop, Windows 7 (64 bit) and I need to figure out how to install this thing ? I really think the installation and documentation is pretty poor, and I have no idea how to update the drivers as using the update driver dialog is not working. I am point it to the Flash Drive that was provided but still, no go.

Anyone... also does anyone know if you can use this without the PC attached...

Thanks

Re: PVM-21 (2008) Installation on PC

What the hell is a PVM 21? Sorry don't know much about computers but get lucky every once in awhile and know some people that might know something.

Never mind, I found out what it is? Sorry don't have any idea other than the mfg of the software for the chrono didn't format it correctly to work with Windows 7. Probably gona have to call the mfg. Have you tried uninstalling it and reinstalling in again?

I reckon give the guys at Neconos a call. They market/sell those units in the US. You'd have to think this problem has happened to someone else as well. May not be able to run with Windows 7, although my copy of Quickload does run on W7 and the PVM software is supposed to be able to interface with that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Okay,

So I finally got around to setting up my PVM-21 and went to install the software on my laptop. Well I can't get the PC to recognize the unit.

It's there, but I am getting the red comport flashing and trying to update the drivers it tells me they are not there, or not right or something. (friggin windows and drivers)

So, here is the deal, I have a brand new Laptop, Windows 7 (64 bit) and I need to figure out how to install this thing ? I really think the installation and documentation is pretty poor, and I have no idea how to update the drivers as using the update driver dialog is not working. I am point it to the Flash Drive that was provided but still, no go.

Anyone... also does anyone know if you can use this without the PC attached...

Thanks </div></div>

give me your email I'll send you a zip file with update drivers for windows 7

yes.... you can use PVM 08 not connected with laptop, you can read the numbers you need on the small diasplay of the unit.

after you connect the display unit with the screens and to the battery you have to set the parameter.... press F1, F2, F3... for example to cancel a bullet grain value push cancel button until invalid appear, then write your bullet grain, ecc ecc and select what you want, m/s.. or f/ps grain.... very important is the gain, but you have a reference table in the manual, if I remember well for a .308 you have to select 65%.

with the laptop connected you have to create a user, rifle, load profile and you can have the option to analize your crono data.. and also store it in a series for further analysis

I'm thinking to do a little tutorial, probably I'll do it when I'll back home, next week....

Thanks, I have it, still no go...

Tested the Chronograph with a suppressed handgun, it worked standalone which is good, but still no software with laptop connect. Windoze is not recognizing the drivers.

Frank did it come with an installation CD? Any does it give you the option down in the lower right of the screen where the clock and stuff is to "Install Drivers from Recommended or Manually search for them"?

If it does try the manually search for them, open the CD or Program folder and there should be one of the folders with the drivers in them.

A,

Comes with a Flash drive with drivers on it, and I tried pointing the Update Driver dialog to the specific folder and nothing.

As well Davide sent me over driver files and it didn't accept them either. It gives you two options, automatically search or tell it where to find them. I tell it and it doesn't work.

This never happens with my MACs ... I don't even know what a driver is, when it asks for the driver I first tried typing in, "earnhardt" but that didn't work so I had to search google to find out it's a file, not a person.

laugh.gif

Im at a loss then, we had to do that with the SAM a time or two.

My guess is that you have 16 bit drivers which will NOT work on a 64 bit MSW7x64 system unless you run in Windows XP mode in a virtual machine, which will drive YOU totally insane, like me!

Keep me posted, the PVM-21 has always been a very interesting idea. I'm curious how the story ends.

Windows 7 and Server 2008 64-bit don't like drivers unless they are "digitally" signed by Microsoft.

The 32 bit version are more forgiving and often won't have a problem with unsigned drivers.

When you go to install the drivers, are you using the device manager?

You want to to tell Windows to show you the drivers in a given location, like your flash drive. It should show all the drivers, both signed an unsigned. You'll get a warning if you select the unsigned driver but just ignore it and install. You should be good to go. Let me see if I can find a how to with some screen shots.

I run into this problem a lot with the outdated software we get.

Mike

I dont think it will run with the 64 bit windows 7. You will have to run it in a compatability mode , like in Windows XP.

Well that would be totally bullshit since i emailed them about which Windows to use and never got a reply... so I got one that was 64 because someone on here said they were running a PVM that way.

Fuck windows, 32, 64, 7, XP... they all suck.

Yeap it sucks. I have found a lot of programs that will not run with the 64 bit windows and had to download a 32 bit version to get it to run.

Just Copied this from their website.

If you have 3.0, 3.1 or 3.2 and are planning on using a VISTA or Windows 7 machine you must install a VISTA compatible QuickLOAD disk. Send in your old CD and we will replace it with a Vista compatible CD (also works with Windows ME, 2000 and XP) for $14.95 plus S & H.

It's not the QL, that is installed and oky, it is not recognizing the drivers for the Chronograph itself.

The software install, both QL and the PVM Analytic software, the problem is getting the USB Port to recognize the chronograph so it can feed the software. I have the latest versions of their software, its the Chronograph drivers that are the issue.

Software works,

Sometimes the problem can be if you attach device prior to installing drivers. But this is mainly for printers with setup.exe type of install not plain drivers in .dll and .inf type of install.

I had huge problems with some RS232 cables for car programming interfaces and only one out of probably 10 available drivers worked.

If drivers install and you get yellow ? or ! and device unable to start and proper name (for example chrony/pvm21/whatever) then drivers did install however are not ok/version/some misc communication problem.

If you get unknown USB device or drivers refuse to install i'd say they are miss labeling that device is supported by Win7.

If there is setup.exe or install.exe a solution would be do uninstall root USB hub (to get basic drivers to install again) but that is not advisable for everyday users. Linky to some more info if you'd care to go poking around.

Are there other devices plugged into a USB port? I have had a problem in the past with multiple devices conflicting with one another. You might try going to Control Panel--> Administrative Tools --> Computer Management and checking the Disk Management Tab to see if your device shows up there. If it does, but you still can't use it you might try changing the drive letter assignment. I have had luck with that in the past. No promises though.

Good luck,

RB

I like to call this stuff, "New and modern disappointments". I hope you get it up and running. Good luck.

I got the correct drivers from Werner, he actually called me from Germany... so that is up, now the software is still not seeing the device, I am getting the blinking red warning the device is not ready.

But the unit is now recognized with the correct drivers.

So frank is the CED M2 looking good right about now?
    wink.gif

The issue is not with Windows at all. Microsoft can't sit there and make a billion drivers for every device that is supposed to run on a PC with windows OS. This is up to the makers of PVM-21 to do this and I would hold them accountable for this. As a business that sells products at the dollar amount that the PVM-21 sells it they should 100% post their compatibility for their products. Also before posting that it will work lets say with windows 7 64bit they should really test everything to make sure it works.

Now Frank it sounds like there is some settings in the software for the PVM-21 or QL not set right. Is there any software manual with this ?

Aron-

I agree with winxp_man about the drivers ... it is up to the vendor of the equip to supply the drivers. I am curently running Windows 7 64bit and have no issues with QuickLoad if that is what QL is.

They actually had the drivers, they were not included on the Flash Drive included. They were written around Oct 2010. Once those were available it worked as far as loading the unit's drivers for Windows to recognize the chronograph.

As I stated, the software all loaded no problem, both QL and the Chronograph software, now I have to double check the settings on the Chronograph to see why the software is not recognizing the Unit, which I have no system errors, so it should see each other.

It's certainly not as simple and intuitive as my Macs, that for sure, and really had I known it was recommended with XP more so than Win7 I would have gone that route if possible. The documentation is pretty weak considering they reference a couple of 3rd party driver issues. To their credit, I did receive an immediate call from Germany to fix it.

I have been using the PVM for about 3 years now and I find it to be hands down the best chrono on the market.

I havent hooked to to the computer or have i tried to install the software.

I just drop it down set my bullet weight and gain and fire and log the shots on my Load Development or the Chrono Velocity page we sell for our data books.

Let me know if you need any Frank and I will get them in the mail for you.

Have you tried to run the program in compatibiliy mode? I don't remember how, but you can run a program on a Win7 operating system in compatibility mode for WinXP. System help should say how to do it.

Good luck!

If you have 7 professional you can run software in XP compatability mode, basically if you have something that will only run in XP it will work with Windows 7.
    <object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/inlh4ReXoAA"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/inlh4ReXoAA" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

^^^ above compatibility mode only works for software issues that donsn't deal with drivers. As I read Franks posts he had driver issues. But this might help with the isssue of the software recognizing the chrono. Although as Frank said the software seems to run fine. It's just that the software isn't seeing a chrono. It makes me almost believe as if the drivers are still the issue.

Frank have you tired to look at software settings on the laptop? Maybe this can be causing the issues your telling about.

Aron-

If you can, it may help to install 32-bit Windows 7. The main advantage of a 64-bit OS is being able to use more memory. For a laptop that's usually not a requirement. If the laptop came with 4 Gb or less, I'd consider that. You'll only be able to hit 3.2 Gb max, but it will ease the way.

Same issues here with Windows 7 (64 bit). Did you advise that you received a set of drivers dated 2010. All of my drivers are dated 2003 and 2005.

I spoke with Ed Dillon (nice guy / good service) at NECO and after some fussing about Windows 7 he sent me some updated drivers. It loaded fine. Will try it at the range this weekend.

What version of the software do you have?
    Is it V1.16?
    I am not able to get the Remote Display window to display readings in feet per sec. despite setting all the programs options.

@ lowlight

I have exactly the same problem with Win7 and the chrono I just bought.
    Did you find a solution? How?