• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quality Hard-sided Gun Cases?

Bird of Prey

Private
Minuteman
I'd like to get a couple nice hard cases for some recent purchases. Last night, I almost bought what looked to me to be a fantastic Pelican "Storm" case. I didn't buy it because it required me to cut out the middle foam layer as necessary for the rifle, scope, accessories, etc. I know I will mangle it if I try this and I won't be happy with the result. What are the options out there for a professionally fitted hard case? Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Why don't you get a fine-toothed saw blade and cut the foam your self? Just cut a little smaller than needed, and insert your weapon. If you mangle it, get another piece of foam and try again.

You won't mangle it if you take your time and do it right. I cut mine with one of the disposable utility knives. Lay your gear out where you want it, trace it with a piece of chalk or sharpie, and then cut inside the lines. It's much easier than you think.

I mangled the shit out of the foam in one of mine using the wrong blade, but guess what: Even ugly it still protects what it's supposed to protect, so who cares.

Something to consider when laying out your gear:

Even though it will look "backwards" when you open the case, lay out your rifle so the butt is towards the wheels and the scope is towards the handles. I see a lot of cases laid out "display style" where the rifle is all pretty and shit in the case, but the scope is on the hinge side which means when you're carrying the case or setting it down the weight of the rifle is supported by the scope.

Would also recommend not buying "a couple" unless you really need it. We have 8-12 hard cases and storing them is a pain in the rear. How many rifles do you really need to take with you on any one trip?

Personally I own three and I normally only use 1 when I travel.

As for cutting the foam, use a very sharp knife like a new spyderco and you won't have any problems. You can also use a hot wire foam cutter but that's a lot of setup for one or two cases.

In the last 15 years I stopped using the foam inserts. I throw my rifles in a soft case and throw the soft case inside an empty Pelican/Storm case and lock it up . . . done deal.

Last edited:
This was done with a disposable utility knife and took all of about twenty minutes.

image.jpg image.jpg

I'd like to get a couple nice hard cases for some recent purchases. Last night, I almost bought what looked to me to be a fantastic Pelican "Storm" case. I didn't buy it because it required me to cut out the middle foam layer as necessary for the rifle, scope, accessories, etc. I know I will mangle it if I try this and I won't be happy with the result. What are the options out there for a professionally fitted hard case? Thanks in advance for the guidance.

Buy a Pelican case and never look back. Your not going to find a nicer case out there, ever. Just use an electric carving knife to cut out your foam and it will be beautiful.

Do you need more than one case? I have a couple of pelican cases that have multiple foam for them (you can buy just the foam). Since I don't take every one of my rifles every time, and I have a weapons safe. I just have different foam inserts for different set ups. Saves me tons of money on hard cases, and allows you to just simply swap it out as you need it. Pay 250$ for the case, and the foam replacements are about 80-100 a piece. instead of buy 3 - 4 cases.

Several of the guys raised a great point I missed the first time. As someone who has a stack of Pelican cases taking up space, for most people it's a better option to buy fewer cases and just swap out foam.

I tend to make range trips with a LOT of stuff, so for me all the different cases make sense, but I also didn't pay for most of them either. If I'd been out of pocket on all the 1750s then I would have found another way.

The chance of someone having a case made for your exact set-up is probably rare to nil. Pelican and many others will take your specs and cut it for you.................obviously for a price! If you do a search (google, You-tube, etc.) you'll find lots of affordable do it yourself options and it's really not that hard. But, if you want the super clean professional cuts many people will gladly take your specs and do it for you.

Very helpful comments. Thanks. I need more than one, but point well taken that I don't need one for every gun. I'll get the Pelican and give a try. If I don't like it, I'll get another piece of foam and try again. You only need to cut the 'middle' piece.

j19ud-86.jpg

I heartily endorse Pelican cases.

I cut the foam in the above photo with an electric steak knife. It's not as neat as it would have been with die cut foam but you're never going to get custom cutouts for firearms when a manufacturer is only going to be able to sell a few of them. I got 2 firearms in the case and the case still came within the standard measurements and weight for standard airline baggage.

I have two other quality gun cases; both aluminum. One is from Cabelas and is good to hold 4 rifles. The other is a Strong Case made for 2 rifles. Back before airline stupidity and gouging, the Strong Case was good to go on an airline for no extra baggage charge but no longer.

I went to walmart and bought a $10 electric knife. Cut mine out, and it turned out GREAT. I was nervous as heck too. Just take your time.

Ive been dealing with pelican cases for over 10 years. We used them a lot. I actually received a number of them free. Cutting them and replacing foam is not that hard. you really don't need to sweat it. One method you can use, is connect the dots. Remember to cut small, its not as hard as it looks.

These guys may have what you're looking for. I have a 3200 with custom inserts, but it came that way from Eurooptic - cutout pattern is very similar though.
Seems like this could be an easy way to use one hard case with multiple inserts. I believe they also have foam in different densities.
Rifle Templates for Precut Foam Inserts

Mungle

I bought a Storm case with pre-cut high-density closed cell foam for my AI chassis-based rifle from Mile High. It's designed for the folding stock version. My 308 with a 19"barrel and my 300 WM with a 26" barrel both fit in it great (not at the same time LOL). I also bought a similar setup for my AR from SWPS.com. It's pre-cut with closed-cell foam for an M4 style with 7 mags.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went to a local case distributor and paid him for a custom closed cell insert. The closed cell is MUCH better than the crap that comes with Pelican. I watched him "cut" the foam and he used a jig saw with a blade without teeth, he called it a razor blade for jig saw. Well I just so happened to have 1 in a kit of blades I bought so when I got home I cut my own for a Tavor and a CX4 Storm. They are both perfect, his and mine, you can't tell the pro job fro mine. You also need a piece of donor foam UNDER the foam you are cutting. It works WAY better than an electric knife, believe me, been there, done that.

Attachments

• IMG_0428.jpg
    IMG_0428.jpg
    808.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0426.jpg
    IMG_0426.jpg
    993.4 KB · Views: 25
I've since sold this being in the people's republic of Connecticut. But did this with a utility knife from Lowes, tracing the outlines onto cardboard, using the cardboard shapes to do layout and then pinning the cardboard to the foam and cutting around them...just takes a little time and patience.

0309289246025.jpg

Unless you really want the foam "fitted". Check out SKB cases. I have their double rifle case (42") holds 2 20" barreled/fixed stock AR's w/ scopes perfectly. Holds them bunkbed style. I really like the fact that its not overly long.

Last edited:
Quality Hard-sided Gun Cases?

e7y8etu5.jpg

This is a pre-cut from Mile High