• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Quality Vibratory Tumblers

Airw4ves

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2014
Canada
www.youtube.com
Looking to upgrade my Frankford Arsenal vibratory tumbler this winter, and wanted to get your guys opinions on what one to go with. The two that have caught my attention are the Dillon CV-750/2001 and the Thumblers Ultra Vibe 18, but Im open to suggestions. I understand the Ultra vibe is smaller than the 2001 but I rarely do large batches so not too worried. I’ve also tossed around the idea of the Rebel 17 as I can swap motors should it die for a reasonable cost, but unsure how they work for dry tumbling. I’ll be using rice as my media.

A big thing for me is durability. The wife and I will be (hopefully) starting a family soon and I have been working to upgrade my equipment to quality stuff that either will last a very long time, or has great customer service. Im aware kids cost a ton so now is the time for me to drop a bit of coin before the disposable income gets redirected elseware

I got an ultra vibe because a friend that runs a rock polishing shop runs a few of them at heavy duty cycle and they last great for him. So far no problems with mine in 1 year of use.

OP, just curious if there are any issues with your Frankford Arsenal tumbler that you are using now? I ask because I was recently considering going with a Thumblers UV-10, but instead purchased the Frankford one that you probably have now. It seems to work perfectly, and the only thing I could imagine getting better by upgrading would be reduced noise (maybe)?

If you are just looking to upgrade for the sake of upgrading, then of course I understand, but was just curious if there are other reasons you want to spend the cash on a new tumbler.

I have owned the dillon CV-500 for 15 years or so. And it has always gone strong. Ive added a a big dawg wet tumbler to the mix a few years ago And the brass is so much cleaner but it is a pain in the butt. Im actually looking to buy another dry tumbler and I cant find any reason not to go with another dillon.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Been using the model "B" from Thumblrs, for 3 years, sometimes forgetting about it and it runs overnight, never have needed to replace a thing on it. Once you go stainless, you'll never go back. Cleaner than when it was at the factory!

I have both a UV-18 and a UV-45. Both have been excellent. Unless you are running large batches regularly I would not recommend getting a large tumbler as there is extra effort that comes with dealing with that much media in a single bowl.

I regularly run both units overnight with no issues. I have on multiple occaisions left the tumblers running for several days with no issues. The Thumlers are quality machines.

Been using the model "B" from Thumblrs, for 3 years, sometimes forgetting about it and it runs overnight, never have needed to replace a thing on it. Once you go stainless, you'll never go back. Cleaner than when it was at the factory!

many of us went stainless for years and went back to dry tumbling.. why? Well #1 consistent seating pressure which is a known issue with SS tumbling removing all the carbon. This can be fixed but required more steps... It's a a lot more messy and you have to dry. And most importantly, we get single digit SD's and bughole accuracy dry tumbling...shiny, sparkling brass looks nice and all but gains you nothing down range and can hurt you.

many of us went stainless for years and went back to dry tumbling.. why? Well #1 consistent seating pressure which is a known issue with SS tumbling removing all the carbon. This can be fixed but required more steps... It's a a lot more messy and you have to dry. And most importantly, we get single digit SD's and bughole accuracy dry tumbling...shiny, sparkling brass looks nice and all but gains you nothing down range and can hurt you.

I’ve read these reports a few times in the recent months. However, the only complaint I have about wet tumbling, besides it being a pain in the ass is that the mouth peens a bit. I resolve a little of this by tumbling for a short time. Other than that, the inside of my necks are never shiny, and have had no negative impacts on accuracy or SD.

i got away from dry because I don’t like the dust and getting corn stuck in the mouths. That being said, I would go with the Dillon dry tumbler if I ever wanted to go back.

Reactions: Gregor.Samsa
I used to clean with SS media, the preening of the necks is no big deal, a quick turn in a Giraud Trimmer fixes that, what I did find is I hate the wet media cleaning process, and after watching world class BR shooters load, uber clean brass is not required to produce accurate ammo, I bought a UV18, and if I ever break it I’ll buy another.

The thing I like about wet/SS is that it pushes all of the junk into water + slime that's easy to dispose of and keep the area clean. Dry vibratory cleaning - which I use - can put mercury and lead into the air and that's horrible crap to breathe. I forget the name of guy that wrote for Guns and Ammo that died from lead poisoning and they found out the bench near his Thumler had loads of lead dust, and he had lead in his lungs and blood. Keep it clean!

Buy a TT ultra vibe 18 industrial, have had 2 for yrs, neat thing is if they get loud you can tighten the motor bracket up. High RPM's ae your friend, I tumble for 2 hours to prep for sizing, time after to remove lube depends on the shine you want.
http://therockshed.com/tumbler3.html

I had a frankford arsenal cheapo that worked for about 5 years even being overloaded at times. Then I bought a Dillon CV 2001 thinking it would handle the extra weight of the 50 cal and 20mm stuff I do. It worked for about 10 months and then crapped out. Dillon refused to warranty it because it was electrical. So much for the warranty. I figure I can get 2 or 3 of the cheap tumblers for the cost of one dillon and likely have them work longer too. Love the presses....hate the tumblers.

Frank

I have a Lyman Turbo that is 10 years old so far and keeps on going. It gets used often and has been ran for days at a time.

Thanks for all the input guys! I have been hesitant about the Dillon warranty when it comes to the tumblers, as it doesnt sound near as good as their presses. I’ll probably end up going the TT Ultra Vibe route. Didnt know about the industrial model though. I’ll have to do some more research on that one for sure.

I started with the Frankford Arsenal and the cord wiring was not very strong but my son is an electrician and he rewired it for me and after 8-10 years it's still going strong. I also bought the TT 18 and it was a great tumbler but didn't do any better than the Frankford. I sold the TT when I bought the wet tumbler however, like others, was disappointed in how hard it was to seat bullets. I still like the wet tumbling for pistol and AR brass.

Running two Frankford Arsenals. No issues. I thought about going with one of the large tumblers, but a friend echoed that dealing with that much media can be a a pain.

Trying to decide between a UV 10 and a UV 18? What do I need for standard reloading practice at most 150 rounds of 6.5x47 cases. Any reason to go to the 18 if the 10 gets the job done?

I have killed 3 RCBS tumblers and 2 Lyman tumblers, now I use a TT UV 18, now I’m shooting mostly USPSA matches I’m cleaning more brass more often than when I was shooting rifle matches, the UV18 is cleaning 500 pieces or more each week, I think the bowl will wear out before the motor lol.

Thanks for all the input guys! I have been hesitant about the Dillon warranty when it comes to the tumblers, as it doesnt sound near as good as their presses. I’ll probably end up going the TT Ultra Vibe route. Didnt know about the industrial model though. I’ll have to do some more research on that one for sure.

Worry not.

i burned out my 15 year old, heavily used, DILLON tumbler tumbling too much loaded ammo.

They replaced it for $100.

Wet tumbling is a pain in the ass
- However zero death dust -
Dry tumbling is easier and faster
- but you get the dust -
if tumbling indoors the choice is simple.

Wet tumbling is a pain in the ass
- However zero death dust -
Dry tumbling is easier and faster
- but you get the dust -
if tumbling indoors the choice is simple.

Tumble with rice and you get zero dust. Problem solved.

You're welcome hombre.

Tumble with rice and you get zero dust. Problem solved.

You're welcome hombre.
If only it were that easy Actually the only difference is with rice you don’t get the dust from the media. It’s vibrating and still producing dust from whatever it’s cleaning , even if you don’t see it. I dry tumble as well occasionally, just not indoors.

I've had good service from my Dillon's. If I didn't have Dillon I would buy an Ultravibe. I would choose the size by my needs but it probably would be the 18.

I have owned the dillon CV-500 for 15 years or so. And it has always gone strong. Ive added a a big dawg wet tumbler to the mix a few years ago And the brass is so much cleaner but it is a pain in the butt. Im actually looking to buy another dry tumbler and I cant find any reason not to go with another dillon.
I too have the CV-500, and bought mine in ~'95. I picked up the Separator at the same time. I can't guess at the amount of hour's I've ran the thing, or the number of brass that it has polished. But I've never had a problem that required repair.

I've also dabbled in the Ultrasonic cleaning and may one-day try the 'stainless pin wet tumbling method', but I still won't part with the vibratory tumbler. Sometimes I use the "Ed's Red", sometimes it's "Flitz", but either way I don't have a problem with dust. Corncob media or the fancy-schmancey RCBS 'green coated' stuff that I got for practically nothing.

Dillon CV2001. Great for volume. I can pit hundreds of 9mm or 223, or whatever inside there and the more full, the better movement action going on in there.

Last edited:
Reactions: drn1234
Wet tumble without pins. Best of both worlds. No dust, no pins to separate. Just long enough to get clean for dies. Dump in strainer then whatever your method of drying.

I have dry vibratory for times when I don’t want to wait or don’t have time to wait for them to dry.

I have two of the thumbler tumblers. One big and one small and either is a great choice. I ended up use Japanese rice that I picked up reading the primal rights article and can use it indoors without the dust.

The media that came with the Frankford vibrator (corncob?) was very low dust compared to the walnut I picked up at the local reloading shop, and didn't lodge in primer pockets as badly.

Maybe I'll give the sushi rice a try next time. Still adding polish and shredded dryer sheets to rice?

nothing. Just rice. I let it go for a couple hours and if it’s really bad have left it in overnight and come out really nice