• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing question about Hooper Ordnance

Powerlock25

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2008
Abilene/Brownwood, Texas
I sent a barreled action for muzzle cut/thread right after New Years. Some mix up as to UPS delivering to a PO Box. As far as I know - he rec'd it. Last time I was able to get him on the phone, he said a package had been delivered to USPS. Now more than 2.5months later, still no word. No returned emails. This has me concerned to say the least. Any similar experiences working with Hooper? I chose him b/c I heard you couldn't go wrong with the service, that they did great work and reputable. Maybe Hooper is backed up like everyone else???? Anyone in the know? looking for some assurance I guess.....

I sent a barrel and bolt handle from my CZ 455 to them almost 2 months ago and I'm still waiting. I spoke with him on the phone over a week ago and ge told me they would be sent out at the end of last week. Still nothing. I'm gonna call again to follow up and see what happened.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

Hate to say this, but your experience parallels mine. Sent a CZ 453 in for barrel shortening and threading back in oct/nov, and still don't have it back. PMs not responded to, emails not responded to, voicemails not responded to. The only good thing was they didn't cash my check for ages. Last update was it was finished and shipping on the 3/19, but I still don't have it.

I have dealt with R Hooper a few times. The first 2 times, it was excellent. The last time, not so much. Sent off a rimfire for a cut and thread, prepaid. After several emails, phone calls and a nasty letter, got the job done. It was there longer than the than the form 4 was at the BATFE. I understand he may be a bit overwhelmed. His work is good, but his CS as of late has been less than stellar.

Me too. Cz bolt handle sent mid feb. Payment cashed next day. Here we are at 45 days.

I was hoping not to hear something like this.
I had ordered a DBM from him in the past. I was told it would be out within a few days. Three weeks later he was telling me he had problems getting them coated, about six weeks after I ordered it I finallly received it.

I was going to order another one but I guess I will shop somewhere else. Bummer

My uncle sent in a ruger mk3 on my recommendation, he is now over 9 weeks out. I am thinking that might have been a mistake. With a distinct lack of feedback, even taking a couple hours even couple days to send out some replies, would make a number of people more comfortable. Not to mention no one should say it will be 2 weeks, it is never two weeks.

Hope everyone starts gettings stuff in soon. Good luck.

******* Correction *******

I should not have said that it "might have been a mistake", rather that I should have better explained that good work takes time, and never point a worry wort to a good smith.

I also should have clarified with him that the "2 week" quote only works out if 300 people don't send in the projects in the same week.

I just wanted to clarify that Hooper does great work, and is definitely worth waiting on, whether it is 2 weeks or 10.

Last edited:
Good thread. I guess I'll look elsewhere for my CZ455 bolt knob job!

Mine shipped on friday. Hope to have it tomorrow or Wednesday.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

Did they send you a tracking number or just tell you that it shipped? They told me my rifle was to be shipped last Tuesday, but I never got a tracking number after requesting one multiple times in the past 2 weeks.

When I shipped it I paid for shipping both ways so I would have a record that it was received and shipped back.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

Still here. Yes we are swamped. If anyone who wishes to have their order returned prior to finishing, email us. There have been issues, but the main one was not being able to give a proper lead time when more orders arrived than expected.

I look to clear the backlog within two weeks. Again, if anyone wants their stuff back, email us and it will be returned along with your refund and shipping costs.

[email protected]

I got a phone call on my way home from work saying my rifle will go out possibly tonight or tomorrow.

Finished work Shipping today:
C Long 452 barrel
Lindquist MKIII barrel
Branstine 700 bolt
Richter 700 bolt
Mitchell 77/44 bolt
Norville 700 bolt
Flournoy 452 bolt
Dirkson 452 bolt
D Lam 452 bolt

Doing my best fellows. I will be in the shop all week and the way it looks, all back logged work will be shipped. Then I will get back to making suppressors.
Thank you for starting this thread. I did take my eye off the ball for a short time. Although I have been working to clear the back log, a little internet reputation stress never hurts I guess.

I have posted here because I do owe you guys an explanation. You trusted in my reputation and I gave a shorter lead time than was possible. There are one or two more who probably are upset as well, but their work will be completed soon.

Thank you for being patient.

Hoop

Thank you Hoop, my uncle will be thrilled. I also corrected my previous post to better cover what I should have said, and apologize for it coming off the wrong way.

Once again, thanks for the replies, and will be in touch this summer about a couple other projects.

Barrel and bolt just delivered. Looks great. Thanks Hoop.

"ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ"

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1365011831485.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365011831485.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 19
  • uploadfromtaptalk1365011861381.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1365011861381.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 15
Anybody still having problems? I sent a stock in for inletting and DBM over 7 MONTHS ago. I was very patient because he said he was behind but every email said it would be done the next week. I sent a email a few weeks ago asking for my stock and money back but no word from him

I have edited my post that I put on back in October. I admit I was angry and posted some pretty strong comments. These were a result of Hoop's communications and timeliness at that time. I now understand he's been expanding and since then, I have received my barrel from him. I must admit, he has mad skills as a gunsmith. I'm very pleased with the work he did and our follow up conversation.
In conclusion, Id say dont expect it real fast with a lot of day to day communication, it's not his style. BUT, you will be pleased with his work.

Last edited:
Sorry it came to this guys. All items are shipping back finished next week. I am trying to find someone to help with shipping and stock work. I received a lot of work at one time and got covered up pretty quick. I also contracted with several dealers and manufacturers to take on their work and suppressor builds.

Trying to expand may very well have cost me some customers. I apologize for any headache this has caused.
If you think you got lost in the shuffle, email me next week. However, all work is scheduled to be shipped.

I have now been waiting 6 months for a barrel he admitts having but wont send it back. Ive talked with him 4 times and exchanged emails since April. Each time he says he will mail it back this week but doesnt. DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH HOOPER ORDNANCE! I have contacted the Secretary of State and currently have a call in to Macon County Sheriff's office to sign a posession of stolen property report. I dont know what else to do with this guy? He wont even send it back undone........

BTW, your barrel is not stolen. Please email me with your name and I will make sure your barrel goes out with the next shipment.

Same here. I was quoted three week turn around for a barrel threading in June, in August I was told I would have my pistol back within a week. Hopper then was in responsive to emails and voicemails. In December, I informed him that I would report my pistol stolen with the ATF if I hadn't heard from him. He then responded saying my pistol would ship in a couple of days. This kept happening until two weeks ago when he became unresponsive yet again. It's a good thing I used an FFL to send him my pistol. My FFL also attempted contact to no avail. We will have to file reports with all soon if we do not hear back. If anyone wants to see the email trail pm me.

STAY AWAY. You've been warned.

Oh and yeah...he asked me my address stating he'd mail it out right away a couple of months ago too.

All back logged work was shipped today that are non FFL customers. Guys, I apologize you got caught up in my expansion. I have hired a guy to help with shipping and bedding rifles.