• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Question on improving accuracy

[email protected]

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 11, 2012
Rochester, NY
I have a remington 700 model ADL chambered in .308 that I plan to use for both hunting and target shooting up to 700 yards. Other than good optics, what else can I do to improve accuracy? I uprgraded to a B&C medalist a5 freefloating stock and next I plan on either getting a bull barrel or new optics (I'm having trouble on deciding optics) Are there any other way to get more consistant groups at farther distances?
Thanks in advance, Jake

Re: Question on improving accuracy

Jake,

Start looking at ways you can improve your ability to produce good groups at distance, not the guns ability.

Even after spending lots of money and buying all the "cool" stuff it still comes down to LOTS of quality practice and knowing your equipment.

Topstrap

I hope you don't mind me asking, but what kind of groups are you getting at a 100 yards with the set up you got now?

My suggestion would be to concentrate on the basics and learn how to read the wind and lighting conditions.

Most precision rifles will certainly outperform most shooters. Practice, practice and practice in many different settings. That being said, I find a good scope and level also helpful. Handle loading can also improve your performance.

A good light trigger like the Jewell. All 3 of mine are set at 9oz or a bit lighter. Oh, and a good loading technique and good bullets.

Training will give you the best results for the money, it will buy you better accuracy than the coolest equipment. Take a precision rifle course and you'll have a good base from which you can build on.

A sniper like yourself should probably have a good idea. What is your issue weapon? Is your issue weapon that much more accurate than this personal weapon?

If so then maybe it needs improved. Your armorer could probably give you some good tips. If your issue weapon is no more accurate than your personal weapon, then it's a good bet the thing needing upgraded is the shooter. Practice practice practice.

The online training here, has been a wealth of knowledge. I would read, then read again, every lesson. Put lead down range and focus very hard at implementing all the practices covered in it. It helped me considerably. It will take you months to read through it all. There are so many things you wouldn't even think of, until you are exposed to it and then the light bulb goes off.

Once you feel you have it down, then get training. They can fix what you are doing wrong, and focus on more advanced techniques with you instead of all basic fundamentals. It may be putting the cart before the horse in some people's opinion, but it worked good for me.

You will never not have to go back and practice the lessons. It's always easy to slip back into a bad habit, but the lessons learned in training will allow you to understand the possible causes of poor results, and the things to check to correct them.